• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anybody try a left bolt when right handed?

30cal user

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2008
SE, LA
Is this possible in anything besides prone and bench? Is it possible at all? Advantage would be not moving trigger hand and finger at all, correct? No reason for this, just thinking out loud...

Re: anybody try a left bolt when right handed?

I am a righty and shoot lefty allot, same thing, just in reverse.

Yes, faster to run the bolt handle, pain in the ass to get to parallax adjustment.

For most people it comes down to eye dominance and feel on the trigger finger.

Shooting my Ar-15, I don't need to move my hand and trigger finger at all......
smile.gif

I don't see a point for this. I like the right bolt left port right eject option, but never a left bolt.

really i want a sentinel stock and he only has left handed stocks avialable, so I was trying to justify it....

You are going to buy a left-handed action because someone only have left-handed stocks?

I wouldn't recommend it.

i know its stupid, just like the stock and not patient...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this possible in anything besides prone and bench? Is it possible at all? Advantage would be not moving trigger hand and finger at all, correct? No reason for this, just thinking out loud... </div></div>

You run the gun with your trigger hand. You can move it, cycle the bolt, load a magazine, adjust the scope all without breaking your position behind the gun. The other hand is holding up your damn rifle, move it and you might as well get up for a cup of coffee in between shots. That is no advantage.

That said, I've considered building a left handed rifle just because I enjoy shooting lefty (though I'm right handed.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this possible in anything besides prone and bench? Is it possible at all? </div></div>

Why wouldn't it be possible? In all the handgun classes they make us use the 'wrong' hand and it's awkward but works. Same for rifles, right? You either shoulder it up like a lefty and figure out how to use your left hand and non-dominant eye or shoulder it like a righty and reach way over the top of the rifle to work the bolt (and smack yourself in the face with brass/bolt).

Might be kinda fun, and sure would save some beating on my crappy right shoulder!

Still thinking... there are no left-handed scopes... so lefties always reach over the top of the scope to adjust?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Still thinking... there are no left-handed scopes... so lefties always reach over the top of the scope to adjust?
</div></div>

You've never heard of a little place called US Optics, have you?
wink.gif

I'm getting an ST10 built right now with left side windage turret for my SPR to keep the right side clear. I run a JPoint on the forearm at 1:00 for close in stuff, and didn;t want anything blocking my view when I roll it a little for that.

Right handed gun are made for lefties and left handed guns are made for righties. I have tons of experience with both. I would take a left handed gun any day and I am certainly a right handed shooter.

you know OP, if you were dead set on the sentinel stock, you could just have the left side routing filled in and re routed for righty... its just fiberglass after all.

(unless its ergonomically different)

duracoat in whatever color of the duracoat rainbow you desire and youre gtg.

I believe that the Sentinel stock IS ergonomically different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

wink.gif

</div></div>

Um, yea, I've not looked at their stuff really closely though, don't want to have to buy yet another crazy expensive toy.

Of course my other brain fart is that my NXS has adjustments on BOTH sides so I must be doing something too.

Why is there no 'shoot self in head and remove all evidence of yourself from this thread' button on this thing???

If you're right handed, right eye dominant, do you use your non-dominant eye when shooting left handed with a scope?

I'm a righty and I use my left eye when I shoot support side.

I think the question that the OP asks is more of a question about shooting a left handed rifle in the typical right handed fashion. This is a setup some actually prefer, as they can run the bolt without removing their firing hand (as I think Jacob is suggesting with the ~right is setup for lefties, and vice versa~.

i shoot my buddys 223 wssm and 30-06 and they are both southpaw, it just takes a little getting used to. its kinda nice not to have to move your right arm or cheek weld to work the action.a fair amount of benchrest shooters use left hand actions. the biggest hurdle ive seen with the l/h stuff is standing and reloading, you have to drop your forearm hand to work the action which is a PITA, just my $.02

I'd rather not have my face in the ejection port if I can help it. Right handed = right port for me. Weak side I use my left eye to aim.

Cheers,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif

I'm getting an ST10 built right now with left side windage turret for my SPR to keep the right side clear. I run a JPoint on the forearm at 1:00 for close in stuff, and didn;t want anything blocking my view when I roll it a little for that.
</div></div>

When you get that ST-10 try the J-point at the 3 o.clock. All you got to do then is roll your head a little on the cheek weld and use your right eye.

Try it out.

I am left handed, left eye, so I have done this at the 9 o'clock and it works REAL well.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the question that the OP asks is more of a question about shooting a left handed rifle in the typical right handed fashion. This is a setup some actually prefer, as they can run the bolt without removing their firing hand (as I think Jacob is suggesting with the ~right is setup for lefties, and vice versa~.</div></div>

Yes, thanks to you all.

Have a Merry Christmas

I am a lefty and I shoot a right-handed rifle. I am going to switch to a left-handed rifle for a bunch of reasons. Cycling the bolt with the non trigger hand messes up your position. It should be under the stock, holding the rear bag. shooting standing just sucks as well.