• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody use a Drill Press to trim cases?

KurtM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Oregon
I'm on the list to get a Giraud but it is looking like up to 6 weeks for shipment. I was wondering if you could get good results using a quality drill press...does anybody use a press with the Forster Power Case Trimmer?

Do you get good results?

Thanks!

Re: Anybody use a Drill Press to trim cases?

There is a Giraud in the optics sales section with no wait. 223 and 308 heads. I'm just saying

I don't use the press type but know of a lot of guys that have great luck with it. I have power adapters for my Forster standard trimmer and also have a Gracey that I use quite a bit.

Greg

I use a drill press with the Possum Hollow trimmers, but I've heard they're no longer available.

I just bought a 308 trimmer directly from Possum Hollow. I think the Possum Hollow is great it is very fast I just did a 100 cases in minutes.

I use the Lee Precision case trimmer.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1240541168.4257=/html/catalog/casecon.html

There is a chuck you can buy that chucks up to your power drill and you can prep cases that way. It's not as fancy as the Giraud or the Gracey. it trims on Case overall length, not on the shoulder. But it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

1zmefpf.jpg

Be warned. Unlike the power trimmers, Deburring and chamfering are separate processes. But if you want speed, you pay for speed.

This is the puppy I use. It trims to length and champhers the mouth at the same time. Its quick and easy. The main shaft bottoms out in the brass, and the cutter is adjusted for proper lenght. Then while the drill press is running, slide the brass on the shaft, and push up until the case bottems out, then grab another piece of brass and get after it.

case%20trimers%20001.JPG

I use a Possom Hollow trimmer in my bench top drill press to trim my .308. It's fast because you hold onto the brass rather than mounting it. I also have a Lee Zip Trim and their case trimmer system. I think it trims cleaner and more square than the Possom system but I cannot for the life of me get the case to stay in the power adapter/lock stud when it is spinning.

Cheers,
Fusilier

I use a cordless drill to chuck my threaded extension rods to drive pocket cleaner heads or brushes as well as in/out chamfor cutters. I also chuck my flash hole deburing tool (only have to do that once) as well. I trim on my Forster lathes (hand powered!) after resizing and proceed from there.

And then there is my new annealing process borrowed from a couple Hide Brothers! I do that using one position of my RCBS case prep center to rotate the cases while heating the necks. Another topic, sorry.

I'm sure there are faster methods but this works well for me, allows me to handle and look at cases several times. When I'm done I know the cases are ready for any load my indecisive head can settle upon.

Got about 500 prepped .308 cases waiting for a new purpose in life right now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fusilier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Possom Hollow trimmer in my bench top drill I also have a Lee Zip Trim and their case trimmer system. I think it trims cleaner and more square than the Possom system but I cannot for the life of me get the case to stay in the power adapter/lock stud when it is spinning.

Cheers,
Fusilier </div></div>

Fusilier I had the same problem with the Lee trimmer so instead of spinning the brass I started chucking the cutter up in the drill and made a handle for the power adapter. I lock the trigger at the speed I want the drill to turn and I also have it mounted in a vice so that I can use both hands. I guarantee this is a lot easier and 10 times faster than trying to turn the brass in the drill.

David

I tried the drill press route from them and failed miserably. I'm sure that part of the problem was in my drill press being less than optimum as it is now doubling as a mooring anchor in some lake somewhere , but the entire set up was difficult again probably due to the cheapness of the drill press. OAL varied quite a bit and unless I rotated the brass while trimming was visibly out of square. I solved that little problem by jacking up the platen of the drill press but still had the problem of the varying OAL. This was due to the quill stop not working particularly well. I've no doubt that had I a GOOD drill press that this tool would work quite well and quickly. But unless you have a good drill press, I would reccomend against this set up.