• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anybody use Butch's Triple-Twill Patches??

1911hombre

Old School
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2019
    East Central Minnesota
    Specifically the .22-.270 patches (1.25" square). Been using these in my 5.56 small frame guns for years. I use a Dewey rod and Dewy pointed jag. My last batch were a tight fit; you kinda had to take a run at it or bump them through with the heel of your hand. I got used to this and felt they were doing a good job because they fit so tight. Just ordered a new bag of these and the new ones are a little thinner and push through super easy.
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Thinking about a different jag, but I'm used to the pointed ones.

I haven't used those patches but I've got some .220 patches from Pro-Shot and they are so tight you cant get them through the bore

Sometimes jags can vary. I've had 6.5 jags from different makers that are different. Some times a thick patch might need a 6mm jag in my case.

Reactions: Aftermath
    Sometimes jags can vary. I've had 6.5 jags from different makers that are different. Some times a thick patch might need a 6mm jag in my case.
    This.
    Also, you can vary just how much of the patch is between the jag and the bore by piercing near a corner instead of centered.

Reactions: Taylorbok and DMP
    This.
    Also, you can vary just how much of the patch is between the jag and the bore by piercing near a corner instead of centered.
    On the tight 22 cal ones I had I tried offsetting them but still wouldn’t go, never had that problem but now I need to go get the thing dirty and try a 20 cal jag

Reactions: Aftermath
    As said above place patch off center and push through.
    Or if jag is to big place it in a drill with some emery cloth to reduce the diameter. Make sure you clean it well.
    Use your brain to come up with a fix.

As said above place patch off center and push through.
    Or if jag is to big place it in a drill with some emery cloth to reduce the diameter. Make sure you clean it well.
    Use your brain to come up with a fix.
    Making a jag smaller is a good idea also but the last brand of patches I had was loose so I’d double up patches. Would suck to make one smaller and then need it bigger in a couple months. Which jags are cheap so not a huge deal

On the tight 22 cal ones I had I tried offsetting them but still wouldn’t go, never had that problem but now I need to go get the thing dirty and try a 20 cal jag
    Or even a 17, maybe?
    I mean...there is this really cool new invention called "scissors" and it might just help, too.

Reactions: supercorndogs
    Dude, if the patches are too loose in the bore, just double up the patches. You can reuse the “inner” patch if it doesn’t come out too dirty.

Dude, if the patches are too loose in the bore, just double up the patches. You can reuse the “inner” patch if it doesn’t come out too dirty.
    If I double up, I can make it about a half inch down the bore. Impossible, at least in my situation. My original question here was only if anybody else noticed a difference in newer Butch’s patches. Thanks for the replies.

For the price of patches I would toss them away and try a different brand before I sat there and cut every patch
    you don't have to sit down and cut every patch at once. What do you need for a cleaning 10 patches? I grab a little stack out of the bag and cut them before i start peeling them apart. Usually about 8-10 at a time. Sure beats cutting them out of old t shirts and old underwear like when I was a kid anyway.

This is something that's baffled me my whole life. "What am I doing wrong?" Using a single caliber specific patch and a caliber specific jag, and it's doesn't fit short of pounding on the rod with a hammer. And it's not patch / brand specific problem or jag specific problem. "How can this shit fit/work right only about 25% of the time and not work most of the time?" You end up trimming patches, or double up the wrong patches, or using a smaller jag, or wrapping the patch around a brush... "How is it I've never figured this out in almost 50 years of shooting!?!?!" I've ended up with a huge assortment of patches and jags and have to fiddle and figure out the right combination every single time. It sucks.