• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody using an extra heavy buffer?

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
I am in the process of setting up to install the UBR stock on my LMT MWS. In looking at the shorter buffer necessary for the swap over at heavybuffers.com, I noticed that Clint also markets an even heavier buffer than the standard 5.6 oz. model, stating that it is for suppressed weapons and those seeking further recoil reduction. My thoughts- if it is rock solid reliable, why not use the heavier buffer, since less recoil is better, and I might at some point suppress and/or SBR this gun? Anybody else using one of these, and if so, how does the 6.5 oz. buffer affect the platform's handling and reliability?

Re: Anybody using an extra heavy buffer?

Im running one on my 6.5 creedmoor, runs great

I run Slash's/Clint's XH Carbine buffers (6.5oz model) in two of my AR-10 type carbines (one with a UBR and one with a VLTOR EMOD...both .308). They work extremely well both suppressed and unsuppressed with every factory load and reload I have tried from 147gr surplus to 175gr SMKs. The only "function" issue I have noted is that with the lighter power loads, unsuppressed, ejected brass tends to be softly and very shortly "trickled" out of the gun instead of being thrown the usual several feet away. I have never had a FTEject though.

Well, that short toss could be a good thing if you want to keep your brass! What are you calling lighter loads? M80 ball? FGMM? I intend to run 178 amax's and 150 gr. BT's, as I am sitting on a few thousand of each already. Probably be running them relatively hot to get the velocity up, with that 16" bbl. Sounds like the XH buffer may be just the ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you calling lighter loads? M80 ball? FGMM?</div></div>

I was referring to my lighter reloads (during load development) primarily. I don't recall any factory offerings (commercial or surplus) or my accuracy loads with 155gr Scenars through 175gr SMKs having any troubles with weak ejecting and again...only when the rifles were not suppressed was it an issue.

Good deal. Have you noticed much recoil damping compared to the factory buffer? It's not at all bad with the factory buffer, but less is better in that department.

I can't honestly say that I perceive any significant differences in recoil, but then again, I don't find the recoil impulses on the rifles to be bad to begin with. Recoil is such a subjective thing, this is something that you are likely to have to T&E on your own.

I don't have a problem with the recoil as it is at all, just wondering about the claim that the heavier buffer reduces recoil to any noticeable degree. I will probably run the XH just because it seems like it would make for less wear and tear on the rifle in the long run. Any reduction in recoil would be nothing more than a welcome side effect, from a handling standpoint. Thanks for your input, it's just what I was looking for.

no, standard buffer in all my AR's and everything functions fine.