• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody want one of these?

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
I am taking a shop class that requires me to come up with my own projects and work on them after hours. I decided I would make something that I would find usefull and I think that what I am making might interest some of you guys too.

I have been wanting to shoot aperture sights on my MkII for quite a while now but nobody makes a mount that you can get good eye relief with yet still attaches to your optics rail. I've looked far and wide but haven't found anything that could be bought that would make this easy, short of threading holes into the receiver, but I don't wish to do that to my rifle should I have to sell it later on.

Anywho, here is a basic sketch of what I am making for myself:

SightMount.jpg

This is just the basic model too, as I have a more complicated model I'm figuring out right now that will allow you to make gross adjustments in all directions (useful when you want to have a 25 yard zero yet still be able to dial out to 400 yards or whatever) using the mount itself, and then go back for fine tuning with the sight.

It attaches to your picatinny rail and extends the sight back towords the back of the action for proper eye relief. It also solves the problem that I have read about with the MkII-FVT. I know someone will mention that it's pre threaded to accept irons, so the reason I don't want to go that rout is because I have read of others complaining about the sight being too low and this forces the shooter to use stocks with un-ideal cheek welds.

I will have alot of unused materials lying around after I've built my own so I have decided to make them for those that want them. I haven't worked out a price yet, but it won't be very much, especially when compared to other routs you would have to take to mount a rear sight without going to work threading your receiver.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. Thank you for your time!

-Dylan

Re: Anybody want one of these?

I do not have a need for one but I like your idea. If someone has a Redfield type rear sight that mount could be very handy for grooved receiver 22's. Any thoughts on making the clamp usable on both European and US width rails? There is a slight difference and has been a sore point for years with the rim fire crowd. The different rails have made getting a decent set of scope rings or ring base a real pain. Anyway I like it and hope it comes out well for you

PS, you might get more people interested if it was profiled across the top for scope rings.

It's not meant for scopes, those mount on the base that this mounts to. Here, let me explain it a little better... The rail on Savage MkII's (and alot of other popular rimfires actually, Anschutz comes to mind too) is very far foreword on the action. Instead of extending all the way back to the rear like a 40x, CZ, or Sako would for instance. On those actions, you could mount an adapter made by Warne Tool Company or any other company that makes one similar that fits right up on top of the pic-rail of your rifle. With Savage MkII's, you don't have that option because the rail doesn't extend all the way backwards. This means that drilling the action to accept a sight is your only real option unless you go custom. I don't want to pay big bucks for someone to make it for me, i'd rather make it myself and I thought I'd let you guys know in case anybody else wants one too
smile.gif

That being said, I would be more than happy to work with people on the design. I intend to use this with either a Lyman or a Williams peep sight. Mainly because they're inexpensive. If someone wants to use a Redfield mount, I can very easily order the mount for that and just put it on there in place of the Lyman base. Also, if there are people who want a specific dovetail mounted instead of a side mounting sight, then I can tweak the design a bit for use with those in addition to, or instead of the side mount.

Also, I believe I misunderstood your meaning. I thougt you were referring to sights that mount to an 8mm or 11mm dovetail, but didn't realize that you were meaning the base itself mounting to the groved receiver. My design is simple; all it is is a Scope ring cut down and threaded in two places. Then, A piece of 1/8" aluminum angle that I will cut to fit as in the picture above will be screwed into place. Finally, a sight base of your choosing can be fitted to the part of the angle that faces downwards from the horizontal plane.

I think the beauty of this thing is that it can be adapted for use with pretty much any setup you can think of. If your rifle has a dovetail base, then all I need to do is buy dovetail rings instead of picatinny (picatinny because this is a 'tactical' based website and a good deal of the members here have pic-rails on their rifles). It would also work with actions whose rails do go back all the way because all I would be required to do is cut the aluminum angle to a shorter spec (to be provided by the rifle's owner) and it'll work just the same. And as I mentioned earlier, if you want a different sight base to be used, it's really simple to do it.

Soon I'll have the adjustable models figured out completely and I'll draw that up too.

Best regards,
-Dylan

if you are thinking of this you should think of bolt knobs and try to sell them along with other small items. what you are trying looks good.

Good luck.

k

Here, it may be difficult to see (my Microsoft Paint skills SUCK)but the area that is circled on the sight base is where the mount will be, and the sight will extend backwards in the direction of the arrow I drew to allow proper eye relief.

baseedit.jpg

I hope this visual helps picture what I'm talking about somewhat. If not, then I'm going to do my best to have the first prototype built and I'll take some quality pictures with the camara instead of my horrible phone camara
grin.gif

Got it, your moving the sight closer to the shooter. I was not aware of the defect your trying to over come. I had a Savage several years ago but only had a scope on it. I still think its a creative idea. I think a Redfield 75 will work just the same as the two sights you mention. Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kstraughen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are thinking of this you should think of bolt knobs and try to sell them along with other small items. what you are trying looks good.

Good luck.

k</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it, your moving the sight closer to the shooter. I was not aware of the defect your trying to over come. I had a Savage several years ago but only had a scope on it. I still think its a creative idea. I think a Redfield 75 will work just the same as the two sights you mention. Best of luck.</div></div>

Thanks guys
smile.gif

Terror,

This is a sweet project! The only thing I'm unsure of is what would be used for a front sight? Or is this only for guns that came with open sights from the factory?

I would be interested in one of these if there is a front sight available. I've been thinking it would be nice to be able to remove the scope and use open sight once in a while...

Good luck with the project!

There are clamp on front sights but I forgot who makes them . A quick Google search should remedy this though. From what I remember they were about $50-$75

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terror,

This is a sweet project! The only thing I'm unsure of is what would be used for a front sight? Or is this only for guns that came with open sights from the factory?

I would be interested in one of these if there is a front sight available. I've been thinking it would be nice to be able to remove the scope and use open sight once in a while...

Good luck with the project!</div></div>
the specific type of sight, apertures, require what is called a "globe" front sight. There are many different types of these ranging from 50-300+ dollars. That being said, you CAN mount up a front sight that would come with the rifle and still be effective. It's just less ideal. The whole point of shooting apertures is to align three circles (1, the rear sight 2, the front sight and 3, the black part of the target). With open sights, you have a post up front, and a 'notched' rear sight, similar to pistol sights. You could use a post front sight, and an aperture rear sight, but then you are basically dealing with a highly adjustable and very small "ghost ring" type sight. This won't allow you to see the center of your target, but instead cover the middle of it.

Anyways, for the globe sights, you'll probably want to look at Lyman, Williams, or Redfield sights. If you can justify the money, there are MUCH nicer sights built by Warner Tool Company, Centra, Anschutz, REG Tooling, and many others.

Here's a thread that shows pictures of how the sight is mounted to the barrel.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411017

It's just a simple clamp that the sight mounts to. If you want a longer sight radius (and finer click adjustments) you will need to buy a "bloop-tube" instead of the little barrel clamp.