• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone anneal this fast?

Mordamer

Professional Know It All
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2010
    Hooker, OK
    I have been annealing with a Fluxeon Annie for awhile. I figured I would show my setup in a quick video.

I got a block of Delrin off eBay. Delrin is a good choice because the magnetic field from the annealer doesn't heat it up and the case heads don't get hot enough to melt it. I drill different sized holes for magnum, standard, and .223 cases and I cut the back of the block to just the right length where I just slide the case head in flush with the back of the block. This puts the cases in the same spot inside the coil each time. I have a screw going through the block into the desk top to hold it in place. Swapping cartridges requires loosening the screw, moving the block, re-tightening the screw, and changing the annealer time setting.

Then all you need is a hole in the table and a pan underneath. You'll need the water cooled coils to not melt your setup down. This setup can do 150 cases in 10 minutes and the consistency is great.

You, sir, are my hero. I don't anneal, but anyone who comes up with such an ingenious method of making something kinda slow go fast is awesome.

Reactions: Mordamer
    E6ECFE0B-8BFF-40B9-8499-5598102DA120.jpeg

I don't know if it is just the camera picking it up, but those are glowing pretty brightly red. IMO. Maybe its just because I am used to looking at the "dull glow" beside a flame.

Faster. About 3.5 seconds on my giraud per case plus i fill the hopper and work on something else.

Pretty neat set up, good idea on the push through block. It wouldn't be too hard to automate that idea.

Reactions: Changed
    I don't know if it is just the camera picking it up, but those are glowing pretty brightly red. IMO. Maybe its just because I am used to looking at the "dull glow" beside a flame.

Faster. About 3.5 seconds on my giraud per case plus i fill the hopper and work on something else.

Pretty neat set up, good idea on the push through block. It wouldn't be too hard to automate that idea.

They do glow red pretty good in this lighting. I believe this to be the ideal temp. I have 1000, 750, and 500 degree tempilaq and have tested with it quite a bit. The 500 degree doesn't melt at about the 40% up from the base. I would bet that an AMP annealer would also make the brass glow like that, but you can't see it and the glow goes away instantly when it turns off.

At 24vdc, the last time I did a batch of .223 Rem it took about 50 minutes for 375 cases. I could bump it to 48v+ and go faster, but there's not much point. I've read about the Annie, but in the end it was less expensive, and more fun to re-engineer it all and make my own.

I have been annealing with a Fluxeon Annie for awhile. I figured I would show my setup in a quick video.

I got a block of Delrin off eBay. Delrin is a good choice because the magnetic field from the annealer doesn't heat it up and the case heads don't get hot enough to melt it. I drill different sized holes for magnum, standard, and .223 cases and I cut the back of the block to just the right length where I just slide the case head in flush with the back of the block. This puts the cases in the same spot inside the coil each time. I have a screw going through the block into the desk top to hold it in place. Swapping cartridges requires loosening the screw, moving the block, re-tightening the screw, and changing the annealer time setting.

Then all you need is a hole in the table and a pan underneath. You'll need the water cooled coils to not melt your setup down. This setup can do 150 cases in 10 minutes and the consistency is great.

That's about as good as it gets! When I win the lottery I'll own one just like it.

yep....
    AMP mark 2
    AMP mate
    Dillon case feeder.

🤣 Haha.

$1395 Amp ii
    $349 Amp mate
    $299 Casefeeder
    plus shipping, plus pilots, plus case plates

That's a stiff price to save an hour. Sure, toys are nice, I think I'd rather have $2000 more ammo. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Davidheart
    🤣 Haha.

$1395 Amp ii
    $349 Amp mate
    $299 Casefeeder
    plus shipping, plus pilots, plus case plates

That's a stiff price to save an hour. Sure, toys are nice, I think I'd rather have $2000 more ammo. Just sayin'.
    I build plants and machinery for a living... I like automation.

Had the ampmate not come out I was going to build a robot for it. I travel more than most by far(200 nights a year minimum).So when I'm home my time is limited. When I run a batch its 500 at a time minimum.

Price really isnt hateful when you look at what you get and how you use it. The case feeder goes back and forth to presses also.

Not for everyone though. Neither are lots of toys.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii and Rhed
    I hear you. Automation is nice and everyone has different objecitves. Personally, I've got time and if everything in my life was automated, I'd be pretty bored.

Surprised to see those necks glow red. Doesn't that soften them too much?

Have any problems with the neck mouths getting dinged when the fall into the pan? Serious sounding thud.

Reactions: Davidheart
    I have the AMP2 with the automated contraption that works with the Dillon casefeeder.

I basically drop all the cases in, set up the annealing level for the cases, push start and walk away.

Reactions: PatMiles
    I use a Ken Light machine.

I use a "Vertex bench source". I had some new Lapua brass and the necks were too hard. I tried annealing with the inner blue cone wrapping around the neck and shoulder. Even with the longest dwell time, they were not getting softer. I suggest that you Google "where is the hottest part of a propane torch flame?" I watched your torch setting. If you turn down the gas so that the inner blue cone does not quite reach the neck, you may get more heat on the case. In my case I moved the torches further away from the neck & shoulder and turned down the gas so the tip of the inner blue cone almost touched the neck and shoulder. I get the dull glow just as they come out of the flame in less time, much better annealing, sizing and mandrel are better, and it saves gas.

I suggest that you Google "where is the hottest part of a propane torch flame?" I watched your torch setting. If you turn down the gas so that the inner blue cone does not quite reach the neck, you may get more heat on the case. In my case I moved the torches further away from the neck & shoulder and turned down the gas so the tip of the inner blue cone almost touched the neck and shoulder. I get the dull glow just as they come out of the flame in less time, much better annealing, sizing and mandrel are better, and it saves gas.
    Thanks, but not my youtube.

Yup, learned about gas burner tips in high school shop class and chemistry back in the 20th century. ☺️

Thanks, but not my youtube.

Yup, learned about gas burner tips in high school shop class and chemistry back in the 20th century. ☺️
    My apologies. I watched your video a couple of times and I thought I saw the first-torch inner blue cone hitting and wrapping around the neck - not much hitting, not much wrapping around, but a little. When I had mine set that way, the necks did not get hot enough to soften. When I arranged it so that the inner blue cone didn't quite touch the neck, I got a glow with ten to fifteen percent less time.

In high school shop and chemistry I was taught that the temperature is not the same everywhere in a clean flame but I forgot the exact hot spot. It has been a while so I had to look it up :)