• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone care to share their load Surgeon 6.5x47

CSiebert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Southeast missouri
Trying to work up a load for my buddies new Surgeon 6.5x47. I was wondering if anybody has some loads they would care to share.

Thanks Corey

Re: Anyone care to share their load Surgeon 6.5x47

Who built the rifle? What's the reamer specs? Throated for any particular bullet?

The consensus on powder choices is usually H4350, Varget, and N550. Some folks use the RL, but I stay away from it due to temp sensitivity.

This is the load for MY RIFLE! Use common sense and work up to any load that's is given to you.

Beanland built Surgeon 591
Krieger 1:8.5tw @ 25"

Lapua Brass
42.5gr of H4350
130 Berger VLD
CCi450 primers
AVG: 2902 FPS

I start to show signs of pressure at 42.6gr so this is right on the line for my rifle. I have another rifle built on a defiance action and i use the very same load in it, but the charge is 42.2gr of H4350.

These are extremely accurate loads in my rifle with very low ES/SD.
Youll get much better ES/SD results on once fired brass over new brass, so don't get too hung up on the numbers till you get a first firing on the brass. I seat my VLD's about .007" in. Enough that you feel it, but not so much that you'd pull a bullet if you have to eject a live round.

The rifle was built by Surgeon, it is their Scalpel model. My buddy didnt get the details on the rifle he just ordered it.(its his first custom rig). Anyways I called Surgeon and tried to get reamer specs, all the guy I talked to, was able to tell me was they throat them for the 142's.

I figure they use the same reamer on all 6.5x47's and someone would have good starting bullet and powder combo.

The loads we have tried so far are around .500-.700 @ 100. Decent but nothing like I have gotten with my 47L's.

I'm shooting a Hart 8" twist 30" on a Surgeon 591 action.
PT&G reamer .293 nk and .125 free bore
With 130 Bergers Jamed about 10 thousand I like H4350
With Sierra 123 jumped 15 thousand I like Varget

Hart 8-twist at 26".
130gr JLK
41.7gr H4350
CCI BR4
2.850" OAL (AI mag length, which is jumping 0.010" or so, I don't know for sure cause I only care that they are jumping)
This gets me 2925fps in 60*.

Good luck w/ load development.