• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone compate the FTE and PAI fat bastard brake

nmcclure

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2005
Austin, tx
I did a search and didnt really find what I was looking for. I'd to find someone who has experience with both. I'm looking for one for a 338lm.

thanks

Re: anyone compate the FTE and PAI fat bastard brake

From what I've heard (since I've never shot the fat bastard) I think that you'll find the FB reduces recoil more. That being said, they are two totally different brakes. The FB is timed and it's probably recommended to stay on the rifle full time vs. the FTE that you can remove and replace as often as you want which comes in handy for cleaning or when shooting a suppressor.

Your needs and wants will have to be the deciding factor.

I think it is fairly subjective. You hear all kinds of wild claims from people who own all kinds of brakes. Even if you find somebody who has shot both, it is likely that it wasnt on the same or identical rifle. I don't think I have heard a bad thing about either. I like the FB on my .338 LM and the Badger Thruster I had on my old .308. I have an FTE but it has not been mounted yet.

try to talk to Vti, he has owned and shot both he will give you the info you need.

my 2 cents are like Jason said, if you are going to need to take the brake on and off then go badger otherwise i would def go with the apa/pai brake

I've shot both and I will say this. The FB is an excellent recoil reducer. On a 260, I would see my holes appear at 100 yards with FB brake. If there was anything negative about it, it is that it is a large brake. But that is why it is so effective. The Badger FTE brake is an excellent brake as well. It is extremely efficient at reducing recoil as well but if I had to compare the two side by side, I would say the FB is a better recoil reducer, especially for the larger calibers.

With that being said, the FTE's advantage is that it is not timed-making it easy to take on and off, plus it can be used as a thread guard if you have a suppressor since the threads are the same.

So the decision should be based on what your particular use is going to be. If you're not going to haul your rifle around, and are looking for the best recoil reduction, the FB is for you. If you want something not as large, with more versatility, then go with the FTE.

$.02

I recommend that all brakes be set on with Loctite for the most consistent performance. I did some test were we varied the tension of brakes and saw different accuracy results. That being said we have lots of people that request that no Loctite be used so they can remove it. Myslef being one of those from time to time depending on my application. George machined two flats on his so he could remove it with a wrench. I thought it was a pretty good idea and have put some thought into doing something like that. Marty's is pretty easy to remove with an allen wrench. Ours would require a strap wrench or a set of rubber jaws in a vise or we machine a flat on either side.

For comps i use breaks that i have milled nuts on to the end of the so they can be removed and replaced by a torque wrench. It makes it easy to ensure that your getting it back to where it needs to be. I played with different setting alot and it varys between each gun but it can change how the well gun shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend that all brakes be set on with Loctite for the most consistent performance. I did some test were we varied the tension of brakes and saw different accuracy results. That being said we have lots of people that request that no Loctite be used so they can remove it. Myslef being one of those from time to time depending on my application. George machined two flats on his so he could remove it with a wrench. I thought it was a pretty good idea and have put some thought into doing something like that. Marty's is pretty easy to remove with an allen wrench. Ours would require a strap wrench or a set of rubber jaws in a vise or we machine a flat on either side.
</div></div>

Hey Jered do you recomend using the loctite on the FTE brake also? I ask because of the AI brakes they are pretty much the same thing..I have two of these.. Thanks

The reason for the loc-tite is to keep the brake from working loose without putting lots of torque on the threads and the barrel shoulder.

What is torque? When torque is applied you are actually stretching the threaded portion of the bolt, threaded shank, or whatever has the threads on it to maintain position and keep the threaded object from spinning loose.

Adding torque to the threaded end of the barrel can actually stretch the threaded shank, in turn this can cause the bore diameter to change, actually get tighter. If you don't think so get some precision ground reamer pilots and try it.

The stretching and shrinking of the bore diameter will cause accuracy to change, sometimes good sometimes bad sometimes not at all.

If you are using a brake that doses not rely on torquing to a shoulder such as a FTE then you have nothing to worry about. If you have a FTE style brake that uses a pinch bolt to lock it down you don't need loc-tite.

Thanks for the answers brothers.. It is freaking cool that you can talk to master gunsmiths here anytime you have stupid questions!!

Only on S.H.
NOLO

where is a good place to buy this PAI fat bastard brake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is a good place to buy this PAI fat bastard brake? </div></div>

Click the link in my sig line.

would a muzzle brake make a significant difference in a LR-308? It doesnt jump too bad as is, but cutting it back more would be even better.

How do I go about figuring out which size I need? Its for a .308.

I went to the Tulsa gunshow this past weekend, and no one even had a FB muzzle brake. Some vendors didnt know what they were. Wasnt too impressed with the gun show. A lot of junk.