• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone currently running a 25BR?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Did a search, but only found 1 thread. Anyone out there currently running a 25BR (or improved)? For what Use? What load(s) are you running? Expecting barrel life to be measurably better than its 6mm counterpart, or just still within that range of "depends how you shoot it"?

Imho, I think that it's too small case capacity for a 131gr blackjack. 2850-2920(if you push hard or get a fast barrel) is all a br will push a 105. I'd be surprised if a 131 could be at 2725-2750. Not all the things need .25ed.

Reactions: alfmoonspace
    Imho, I think that it's too small case capacity for a 131gr blackjack. 2850-2920(if you push hard or get a fast barrel) is all a br will push a 105. I'd be surprised if a 131 could be at 2725-2750. Not all the things need .25ed.
    so then why is 30BR a thing? speed isn't everything

that being said i'd think there are better options like 25x47 pr 25XC if you wanna better barrel life than a creedmoor

Dead on spife, 30br is for short range score shooting. Some cartridges arent designed for long range comps, 6ppc for example. It's awesome for pointblank to 300m br, but it gets its shit pushed in at 600yds by 6br. The 6br is a very balanced case/caliber ratio. Yes it can be a 20br to 30br, but that affects its downrange uses and adds limits to it. I liken this conversion to 6.5 grendel, you can shove a 150smk in it. It's got fantastic bc, but that little case doesnt have the ass to push that heavy of a bullet.
    Also, of all the popular br derivatives for lr/match, they all have one thing in common, they're 6mm.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    25BR.

30.7g varget, jumped .020 has given be the best results but not 6br groups. 2640ish fps. Theres a good node in the 30.7-31gr mark

Reactions: Estes640
    Im debating getting the barrel punched out to CM. Havent decided yet.

Reactions: Estes640
    Because it’s a wider bullet to boost the chances that you break the line for short range score shooting.
    I was being a dick and sarcastic. Cause he said a BR wouldnt push it fast enough

OP never specified the purpose so who knows what he plans to do with it

I was being a dick and sarcastic. Cause he said a BR wouldnt push it fast enough

OP never specified the purpose so who knows what he plans to do with it
    Achievement unlocked, lol. I figured it was for lr shooting. 6br is best cartridge in that family for that. 30br is for score shooting, 20br is great for varmints, 25br...idk. Blkwlfk9 has one, and hes thinking of punching it out to a bigger case, sounds like what I was saying.

It's fun like it it. But I've got a dasher as well and the lilja .25cm I have fucking sucks ass so, I'm thinking of getting this rock creek punched out to fill that spot. I didnt get that bug hole grouping like my 6BR and dasher do. About .6moa. Enough to hit targets but not a real confidence booster.

With my luck, if I built up around a single bullet, my barrel would hate it. It dies sound like blackjack has some newer bullet options coming out. I'd just hate to build around a bullet and it not work out. Plenty of great bullet choices in 6 or 6.5, 25 not so much.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    I don’t think a 25 br or a 25 dasher could push the blackjack fast enough to do any good. A 25-250ai would be neat and a little better suited for the heavy 131. Not sure I’ve seen a 25-250ai yet. although I’m sure it’s out there. there are a lot of much better options out there than a 25br.

I don’t think a 25 br or a 25 dasher could push the blackjack fast enough to do any good. A 25-250ai would be neat and a little better suited for the heavy 131. Not sure I’ve seen a 25-250ai yet. although I’m sure it’s out there. there are a lot of much better options out there than a 25br.

That's interesting, but a 22-250ai is just smidge smaller than a 22 creed. A 25creed would be the easier option for dies and reamers are already available.

Or maybe a 243cutright in 25 cal. Heres a 243cutright...
    20191210_174307.jpg
    20191210_174031.jpg

243win, 243win ran through cutright sizer, fireformed cutright, and a 243ai

Reactions: CUTRIGHT
    Now that it has been a few years, does anyone else have experience with a 25BR / BRA or a 25 Dasher. I see that PVA is now chambering barrels for both.

Curious to see what velocity is being obtained with the current 135 ish grain projectiles.

I kind of want a fast twist 257 roberts to continue its legacy.

Wouldn't that just be a 250-3000 AI?

Now that it has been a few years, does anyone else have experience with a 25BR / BRA or a 25 Dasher. I see that PVA is now chambering barrels for both.

Curious to see what velocity is being obtained with the current 135 ish grain projectiles.

I'm not sure what a 135 grain projectile going ~2600 fps would do better than a 105 traveling at 2850 fps.

I'm not sure what a 135 grain projectile going ~2600 fps would do better than a 105 traveling at 2850 fps.
    I am mostly looking to increase visable splash.

If people are only getting 2600 out of it, not interested. If 2700 is attainable then ill get another bushing and mandrel for the dies and give it a try. I already have a bunch of BR brass and like that it is efficient on powder usage. The only person I have seen load for one is @BLKWLFK9. He had issues, rechambered the barrel into a 25 creed and found it to still have issues. Ended up being a bum lot of bullets. So that data is not the greatest.

Maybe someone with quickload can run the numbers.

My current BRA load is N150 107SMK Lapua brass at 2750. Not pushing it to the limits, so it may compare.