• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone DIY Inletting for DBM?

JohnyFive3

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
Wichita Kansas
I was wondering if anyone has ever inleted there stock for a DBM system? I have a 5R and have had a surgeon system for a few months. I know most gunsmiths use a machine but it looks like to me a little bit of patience and time and a drimmel and one could do it themselves. So guess the question is has anyone done it did that take any pictures if so could they share them and possible give me some advice before i try this on my own

thanks

JDB

JohnyFive3,

It is my strongest recommendation that you do NOT use a Dremel to inlet a stock.

I learned very old school on pretty wood using hand tools. It takes skills you are not born with to inlet those. You booger up a few learning how.

Here is a video using I believe both your stock and your bottom metal: Installation Surgeon Bottom Metal Remington 700 - YouTube

I won't inlet a synthetic stock or one with an aluminum bedding block without access to a mill. I believe yours qualifies as both.

I see you are in Wichita. Knowing that, here are my step by step instructions:

1. Call GA Precision and ask if you can schedule a day to drop the stock off and have it inlet the same day. Get a price quote.

2. Drive to Kansas City.

3. While in the neighborhood, stop by Manner's stocks. I've only been once, but they were very nice. You can handle a few stocks that could be future upgrades for your rifle.

4. Eat KC BBQ for lunch.

5. Stop by Badger Ordnance. These guys are awesome. I have zero issues with Surgeon, but I buy Badger whenever they make a product that will work. Check out their bottom metal and consider it for your next rifle. By an extra magazine for your rifle or anything else you might need.

6. Go back to GA Precision and pick up your stock. Pay cash. Bring a twelve pack as a thank you gesture for saving you both time and shipping charges. They are micro brew guys. No Bud/Miller/Coors. IIRC, Belgian beers were preferred last time I stopped by.

7. Eat KC BBQ for supper at a different place than you had for lunch.

8. Drive home knowing you got to see three of the finest companies in the business, ate some of the best food in the world, and have a properly inlet stock.

If that is too much time out of your day, bounce me a PM and I'll refer you to a Wichita machine shop I use for barrel threading. They are very Pro Gun and do nice work. They could do it for you, but I'm guessing since they don't have a CNC program for this task it will cost you a little more than GA will charge. That said, you'll save driving or shipping to KC.

Last edited:
I in letter my BC tactical for PTG Stealth BM with a dremel and some hand files. Took a very long time, and was not as clean a finish as I had hoped. A little bit of epoxy and some duracoat helped hide my mistakes. Functions flawlessly, but I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze. I will most likely pay someone on the next go-around.

I originally had my 700P stock inletted by a forum member for his brand of bottom metal, which didn't impress me. I sent his bottom metal back and re-inletted for a Surgeon using a dremel and a drill press. The Surgeon was shorter but wider and deeper. It's no work of art, but it looks better than the inletting he did with a mill and works perfectly. It's not easy though, it took me all evening and I burned up a dremel on that aluminum block.

Can't really see anything in this pic, I don't have any of the inletting.

550844F1-D561-4DB2-B77E-41C3277D9AC1-6979-000005F06540A726.jpg

Last edited:
I did it myself with a rotozip and a bastard file. It worked for me, took longer than expected and was quite frustrating at times, but it works. I then bedded the rifle to complete the event. If you want your rifle to look perfect, I would suggest having a professional do it, there are a few idiot marks on my rifle from doing it myself. However, by doing it myself, the whole system (DBM, 2 mags and bedding) was under/around $240, so there is that aspect (plus the PTG metal is like half price right now)

Well I decided that I'm going to do this myself, I'm just gonna take my time as its been in the high 90s and I have no desire to be in the heat

Well i started on it this afternoon! Got pretty far just need to shorted the pillars now so that it sits flush, and i get enough threads into the reciever. Been using a file, and a rotoray file in my air drill. Not perfect but not to bad either pretty happy so far

Got the pillars to size today got it all bolted back together action bolts torqued.... Only to find out I'm going to have to grind the front area some more as the magazine hits the action and won't seat all the way... So back to the bench I go later this week

Are your pillars epoxied in the stock already? The easiest way to setup pillar length is to do it with the action and bottom metal out of the stock, you run your bottom metal, action screws with pillars in place all bolted up to the action. This is the perfect time to check function and fit of mags and feeding. When you ensure the pillat length is good, then epoxy pillars and action into the stock in one shot.

It's the hs precision stock my 5r came with. So the pillars are already part of the stock otherwise. If they were it would be way easier to grind it all!

Well after a long while i finally had sometime today to sit down and finish this up. hardest part was getting the stock inletted far enough forward so that the magazine would slide all the way into the bottom metal. ill try to get a few good pictures of it later this week

Looks pretty good! How do you know the proper depth? Are you basically trying to get both ends of the bottom metal to be flush with the stock?