• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone do this with their powders?

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
I'm surprised by people constantly talking about the lot to lot variation in powder. What I have been doing myself for quite a while is buying a few 8lb jugs of powder of the same brand and then mixing it in a 5 gallon bucket then seperating it back into the jugs. This assures me that I have atleast a few jugs of powder that will last me a while that are all consistent. So I only need to do load developement once for this powder.

Any reason why I don't hear people doing this?

Re: Anyone do this with their powders?

Compare lot numbers. If they match, mixing isn't gonna do much for ya.

Agree if you have same lot # powder's to start or ordering and can get same lot # no reason. During the last shortage it was get what, when and where you could and that is where mixing is a smart move.

This frightens me. Plastic bucket, static electricity, and friction? Is it just me?

Good luck, JPG

Little chance of a fire from static electricity, even less if you rub a dryer sheet in it first.

Some powders dont vary a great deal lot to lot. I've always had good luck with Varget from lot to lot with most changes not detectable downrange.

I have had trouble with RL22 and no longer use it, or that caliber. Federal told me 35fps variation in the powder was acceptable.

Varget did have a bit of trouble a few years back and the shooter outcry seems to have focused quality control on that powder to an exacting standard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This frightens me. Plastic bucket, static electricity, and friction? Is it just me?

Good luck, JPG </div></div>

Not worried at all....considering they come in plastic jugs already.

Static does not frighten me... i think most of us handloaders live life on the edge anyways
laugh.gif

Besides whats a little scorchy scorch gonna do to ya?

Powders are preconfigured to eliminate any inherent static discharge hazard.

Kernel coatings were developed late in the 19th century to include carbon/graphite as an electrical conductor.

This ensures that static buildup caused by agitation will bleed and equalize throughout the powder mass, preventing high static potentials that could create ignition. It is the primary reason why powder shipments do not transform themselves into smoking craters on our public highways.

This graphite remains largely unconsumed and constitutes the major bulk of carbon fouling.

This graphite is, in fact, a very effective dry lubricant; and has already served the purpose many attribute more recently to Moly for well over a century.

I would not be too surprised to discover that one of the ingredients in the new 'wonder coatings' could turn out to be Moly. Many BR shooters have been adding Moly to their powder rather than coating their bullets for some time now.

This is also a valid argument in favor of less bore cleaning.

The bore doesn't really need to be cleaned so very often for accuracy reasons. What the bore really needs, instead, is a means for defeating bore surface corrosion. Fouling compounds can absorb and trap atmospheric oxygen and moisture, promoting bore surface corrosion. One may either remove them, or coat them with a moisture barrier (like oil), or both.

Greg