• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone done a Saiga rifle convertion?

operatorj

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Heltonville ,Indiana
I have been thinking of doing a 223 Saiga rifle convertion and was wondering if anyone else here has done one and what your end thoughts were. I was also wondering what mags you run. I just want to do something a little different. I have built so many AR's that im kind of bored with them right know.

Re: Anyone done a Saiga rifle convertion?

I converted a Saiga 12. You will probably want to move the trigger forward, and all of your conversion parts should be U.S. made. I think you will need 7 or more U.S. made parts. If you move the trigger assembly forward, you will have to drill out the old rivets, and I think you may have to drill two new holes for the trigger guard. The steel is harder than Chuck Norris at a bitchslap convention, so get the hardest bits you can find, and drill slowly. Oh yeah, and don't, under any circumstances, allow the mag lever retaining pin to fall out. It's about as hard as riding a unicycle on a basketball. I can't tell you how I got it back in, as I blacked out in a fit of seething rage.

I am going to get a convertion kit from carolina shooting sprts that will mive ther trigger forward to the right spot. I believe the kit comes with the drill bit. I will probably get a spare or two just to be safe. I will have to check on the number of US parts to be 922r complient.

I fully understand the desire to take things on as a project so if thats your reasoning have fun with it.

If you are looking at this as a way to save a little money vs buying a converted rifle you may end up regetting the decision as it will most likly cost more once replacement compliant parts and any needed jigs/fixtures and tools you may not already own.

I'm making an assumption that you are wanting to do a full conversion and not simply add an AK stock.

The Aresenal SLR-106 is a safe bet for 223 AK but they are known to be significantly more problematic than the 5.45 and 7.62x39 rifles. K-Var sells the best mags for 223 AK's

I recommend grinding off (rather than drilling) the rivet heads on the trigger guard (a hand file works well). Not sure if the .223 is the same as the 12ga, but when you remove the plate on the bottom of the receiver, the cut-out and holes may already be there. CSS is a good company and he ships fast.

It was a little strange taking a file and drill to a rifle...

i did a saiga conversion in 7.62x39, it really wasnt very hard at all and theres a ton of good guides online. All you really need is the parts a dremel and some patience. Get some 3/16 plastic rivet plug things from lowes to cover empty holes, best 20 cents ive ever spent
smile.gif

I am planning a full conversion with trigger gaurd, trigger, stock, grip, and sight. I plan on going with CSS parts for the conversion. This is mostly just something fun to do and something I have wanted to do for awhile. I think the conversion kit from CSS comes with the plugs for the hole were you relocated the FCG pins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fully understand the desire to take things on as a project so if thats your reasoning have fun with it.

If you are looking at this as a way to save a little money vs buying a converted rifle you may end up regetting the decision as it will most likly cost more once replacement compliant parts and any needed jigs/fixtures and tools you may not already own.</div></div>

I think the reason so many people do the conversion though is mainly because it is the way to own an actual Russian "AK". And a brand spankin new one, right off the assembly line, at that.

Plus, after the conversion, you are still only looking at around the cost of other good AKs, like the SSR85C or M70, or less even, depending on what tools and parts you already have on hand.

I have a 20" Saiga .223 and it is very accurate and soft-shooting. I bought it partially (and poorly) converted and had my local guy finish it. I am using Galil synthetic magazines, which I bought a stack of when they were dirt cheap, and they run very well. I will try the 50 round steel mags when my stuff gets out of storage, but so far I love it.

I did a 7.62X39 conversion for a friend of mine. It was mostly straight forward as compared to the S-12's I've done. The only things that were new for me were that you need to add the bullet guide to use hi cap mags if your rifle doesn't already have it. I recommend the Dinzag one over the russian part. and since, unlike the 12ga which has the mag release seperate from the trigger guard, when my friend dropped off the gun I insisted that he also supply a new hi cap mag, because once I installed the trigger guard/mag release I THEN fitted the mag release lever to the mag, so as to avoid having the mag/lever fit be sloppy, Oh and one more thing, I rivited the trigger guard on with the supplied rivits which was something of a PITA, but you should be able to bolt it on much easier.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this build this week. Should be fun. I will be getting the bullet guide as well sense I think I will probably run Bulgarian Waffle mags and it will be needed.

I have done several, both rifles and shotgun. It is a pretty easy process. CSS will get you all the parts you need, they have FANTASTIC customer service. The one recommendation I will make is that you do not use any UTG parts on the gun. That Chinese pot metal filled crap is just that crap.

The last .223 I did now takes AR mags and has a Left hand charging handle. They are a blast to build and rather addictive.