• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing anyone duck hunt with 2 3/4"

bigtater80

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
central louisiana
I'm really thinkin about tryin some short shells this year. I have a O/U in 12ga that has 3" chambers but its light and has a good thump. I plan to hunt with it a good bit this year for teal and timber. I won't be taking long shots and think a load of #4s ought to be a light recoil close range duck smasher. I have a 10ga. For open water late season so have a heavy hitter already. Anyone use em? Only interested in steel can't afford the 3 dollar a pop stuff.

Re: anyone duck hunt with 2 3/4"

Ive tried it with an old Wingmaster I had. I used the cheap Winchester Xpert shells over decoys. I did ok. The Wingmaster did have a 30 in. barrel though. Sorry I dont recall the choke size. Im thinking it was MOD.

I've always used 2 3/4" #6 shot for duck - especially teal. I buy the winchester hi-velocity cheap steel and it's been good to me on ducks.

I had a light twelve browning that would only shoot 2-3/4. I ran estates through it without any hickups. I only hunted with that rig in the timber though, never in open fields. It killed them just as dead, and with a lot less punishment.

You need to pattern your gun with several different loads, shot sizes and chokes. A 2 3/4 shell that patterns well out of your shotgun will be much more proficient than a 3" shell that you just grabbed off the shelf at bass pro.

2 3/4 #2's use them for everything from teal to honkers and kills them all. Use the cheap winchester in the gray box.

i like the 2 3/4 # 4s for early season . if your after teal i might go to # 6 s

I use 2-3/4" most of the time, though I rarely shoot a duck over 10 yards away.

2-3/4" 4's are my preference as is a modified or imroved/modified choke. I mostly hunt timber and shots are going to be inside 20 yards for the most part. That combo seems to throw the best pattern and open up at the right distance for the way I hunt. 3" shells aren't too bad either, but the 3.5's just don't act right for the way I hunt, they take too long to open up in my experience. Check out Kent Fasteel, I've had good luck with them and they really aren't all that expensive.

2 3/4 #4's for me as well. My guns are chambered for 3" & 3 1/2" but the shorter shells work just fine. I remember when 2 3/4 was the only option.
If you work 'em in close enough you can kill 'em with rock salt.

I'm gonna follow through with it and shoot em. My bud just bought a 20ga today for teal and the timber so I won't take any flak from him.

I'm another one who uses 2 3/4" 4 shot for duck. Sometimes I'll use 3", depending on what I grab and conditions generally, but I have no problem killing ducks with 2 3/4" ammo. Getting the ducks to come around is a much more serious problem for me...

I usually shoot 2.75" #2's in the woods with my O/U. Works pretty well. My O/U is a Beretta 686 with a 3.5" chamber, put some of those in and it damn near gives you nerve damage! I usually use the SBE or SBE2 in rice or bean fields with 3.5" #2's coming out of a extra full Kicks or Pattermaster. Shoots a TIGHT pattern, but you can really reach out there and touch 'em. Nothing works like high brass 2.75" lead #4's, though. Boy those were the days!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually shoot 2.75" #2's in the woods with my O/U. Works pretty well. My O/U is a Beretta 686 with a 3.5" chamber, put some of those in and it damn near gives you nerve damage! I usually use the SBE or SBE2 in rice or bean fields with 3.5" #2's coming out of a extra full Kicks or Pattermaster. Shoots a TIGHT pattern, but you can really reach out there and touch 'em. Nothing works like high brass 2.75" lead #4's, though. Boy those were the days! </div></div>

Man that 3 1/2" must really smart! I played with a berretta a while back and that's a fine gun. The wife bought me a yildiz after we got hitched and its a cheap turkish gun but I love it. Hasn't let me down yet and its gonna be well used this year again. maybe one day my wife will surprise me with one of them high dollar berrettas.

I wish I coulda been around for the lead days. My great grandfather was at it in the market hunting days. He had an airboat he built himself with a flat head V-8 on it and a old truck on tractor tires. Said they would drive out on the mud flats at night and shoot em. My uncle said he thought ducks unlimited meant unlimited ducks. Wish he was still around! I'd love to hear some stories.

I've never tried 2 3/4" personally, but I know several people who love them for wood ducks. I just shoot 3" for everything. I don't own a 3 1/2" and don't have much use for those anti-aircraft loads.
My Granddad told me stories about the night hunting on Catahoula too. He said they would slaughter them on a moonlit night.

well I committed to the 2 3/4" thing and after a few patterning shots with #4 shot at 35yds had good coverage and I believe this is about where the small shot really starts to lose its effectiveness anyway. So I bought a case of #4 remington sportsman. same I shot at teal last year just 2 3/4" instead of 3". Now if we just get some rain ill be good.

Oddly enough when I started hunting with a shotgun most of them were still chambered in 2 3/4 and 3" was as big as it got unless you went to a 10. (so maybe I am getting old)

For most applications 2 3/4 is fine, sure for turkey or goose I'd get as much shot out there as I could but other than that my personal opinion is that a you don't need 3" loads.

We have been back and forth with the Kents and the Xpert Steels for almost 10 yrs now and found that both don't hold up very well to moisture compared to the Remington Nitros. We've had good luck with the Nitros.
That's not to say that the Kents or Winchesters are garbage but I feel that the Nitros pattern a lot tighter and still give a good distance from 2-6 shot. The 2 3/4 work great for us. The 2 3/4 and 3 inch nitros are almost identical with very little size difference. The 3 1/2s I feel are a waste as they have the same amount of powder and have more bb's. To me that's just throwing a bigger spread out with no distance improvement. I'm no expert and could be wrong I'm just speaking from prac app. Hope you find the answers you seek

Bryan

Also wanted to add that the 3 inch remmy Nitros can be chambered and cycles in a 2 3/4 tube. That's the case for my 1100 anyhow