• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone else get sick of cranking it...?

northern50

Null User
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2006
WI
Ha I know what your thinking...

Here's my solution to the Wilson case trimmer, thank you Mr. Milwaukee!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only gripe about the Wilson is the fact that sometimes the cases get a little tight in the bushing and take a little extra to remove, other than that great tool. I really like the fact that cases come out exactly the same length every time!

Re: Anyone else get sick of cranking it...?

Is that a Harrell's I see in the background?? Ha Ha

I tried the whole drill thing on my RCBS trim pro and found it really didn't make that big of a difference time wise because swapping the case out still a two-hand operation and took time - ended up going back to the Billy Squier method.

So how'd you rig it??

Take the handle off the cutter and put the threaded part in the chuck?

You cheeseheads...(that's what us wimpy disarmed Illinoisians call wimpy disarmed Wisconsinites. We are the only two states without Concealed carry.)

Sinclair sells an adapter for the Wilson so you can power it up.

Or did you rig it up some other way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CardiacKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the whole drill thing on my RCBS trim pro and found it really didn't make that big of a difference time wise because swapping the case out still a two-hand operation and took time - ended up going back to the Billy Squier method. </div></div>

That's because an RCBS isn't a Wilson. This works great on a Wilson. And when I trim to 2.005, they are all 2.005 (actually 2.007, used a Sinclair chamber gauge and told me best trim length was 2.007 for my SASS. Or was it my M1A? Duohhh!

Knowing the OP, he likely machined it himself and over engineered the shit out of it.

Northern50, if you would just crank like a man your arms wouldn't look like Gumby's.
grin.gif

Garrett.jpg

Haha yeah that there is one of LEE's finest powder throwers... I think the Allen screws holding it down are worth more. The only thing is I can't get rid of it cause it works good!! I rough throw everything and finish on the DI scale anyhow so close is close with the thrower.

As for the Wilson, yep took the handle off and chucked it up in the drill. I set the depth with the threaded adjuster part and let the drill be the constant. Chucking the cutter in the drill won't hurt the threads on the cutter cause it's tool steel. I will eventually make an adapter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knowing the OP, he likely machined it himself and over engineered the shit out of it.

Northern50, if you would just crank like a man your arms wouldn't look like Gumby's.
grin.gif

Garrett.jpg
</div></div>

Gumby aint got shit on the Popeye!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sweet I have that same drill!

I did it with the RCBS too. I think I'm going to break down and buy a Girard (sp) or whatever it's called, pricey but fast

Been there done that, except with a Dewalt 12v, I bought a Giraud Trimmer, and I garuntee it will be the best money you'll ever spend on a reloading tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's because an RCBS isn't a Wilson. This works great on a Wilson. And when I trim to 2.005, they are all 2.005 (actually 2.007, used a Sinclair chamber gauge and told me best trim length was 2.007 for my SASS. Or was it my M1A? Duohhh!</div></div>

It didn't have anything to do with consistent trim length - that was fine. Even if each of the trim lengths were off +/- .003 or so I'd love to see a semi-auto that could show just how detrimental such an egregious variance could be.
shocked.gif
It was the way the RCBS unit holds the casing where you have to use the lever to push the shell plate out, drop a new case in and let go of the lever. The way the wilson works would alleviate that.

I have a Milwaukee Holeshooter hooked up to my old RCBS trimmer. I never needed two hands to put a case in the collet. Put the case in the collet with my left, push the drill forward causing the case to bottom out in the collet, tighten the collet with the T-Handle (yeah its that old), trim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Milwaukee Holeshooter hooked up to my old RCBS trimmer. I never needed two hands to put a case in the collet. Put the case in the collet with my left, push the drill forward causing the case to bottom out in the collet, tighten the collet with the T-Handle (yeah its that old), trim. </div></div>

Collet style:
140.jpg

Lever style:
114864.jpg

I use the Possum Hollow chucked in a Sinclair adapter. Chucked in my cordless its bam, bam ,bam, quick and easy. The PH trimmer may seem cheesy compared to some but it works perfect and trims to the same length every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often do you guys trim your brass? </div></div>

Depends on what case it is. My .223 remington for the AR is every other, sometimes I neck size them once to get an extra round out of the cases and avoid trimming.

My .223 Ackley is virtually never. I think my lot of 100 match cases has over ten firings on them and have never been trimmed. I love the Ackleys for that reason alone.

Otherwise trim when they get too long as per the manual.

That's nifty Clark!

I have a Wilson case Trimmer and it does a decent job of trimming.

I have also tried their power adapter but I have had poor luck with that. What I find is that because of the height of the trimmer when it sits on their stand, it is very easy for the attached drill to put a side torque on the power adapter.

The adapter is also not made of the type of steel that resist bending and so this together quickly ends up with a bent adapter which then will not turn true. They were nice enough to sell me a second one at cost but it too did not last. I would say be real careful when you use it….. The fix would be if they built one which is much stronger.

The real need for a consistent trim comes from neck trimming since the case neck length is what is used to determine how far down the neck trimmer goes. A long neck could lead to a short trim and a resultant donut.

Over the weekend I trimmed ,deburred and chamfered 483 cases with a hand crank Forster.

My hands are still raw, fingers are tingling and my wrists hurt.

They were right........... reloading is dangerous.

Does anyone know of a corded drill that would work in that application? maybe something with a flat base.

I used my power lyman for the first time today, Ahhh what a diffrence from cranking!! Almost made trimming fun!!

diego