• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Else Get Their Tacoma Frame Rust Letter?

G

Mine came on Saturday.
Scheduled to take the 11 year old truck in to have it checked tomorrow.
They'll need it for two days and will provide me with a loaner.

toyotaletter.jpg

Re: Anyone Else Get Their Tacoma Frame Rust Letter?

Tucker,
Dont let this pass. A friend took his in and Toyota ended up buying the truck back for $500.00 less than he paid it for 3 years earlier. He ended up buying another used Toyota for just a bit more than he paid for the old one. My wife works at a Toyota dealership so if anyone starts jacking you around give a shout and she may be able to give you some help. They are taking this recall very seriously so you may at least get a new frame out of the deal. With you being in VA. I would guess you may not have a big problem. In MI they love the road salt.

I have a 96 Tacoma and I haven't seen anything yet...wow I guess there is no such thing as corrosion here in Washington even though they coat the roads with de-icer for 5-6 months out of the year

I hate working on out of state vehicles. Don't see how those things stay in one piece with all the damage road salt does to an undercarriage.

My girlfriend's brother received his letter 2 years ago, sold the truck...they said it had surface rust on the truck b ut crap, they had 250,000 miles on it..

Good trucks, handle it and get a new truck or get the botttom coating if it is not already rusting...

Toyota cares, pretty cool
smile.gif

Mine has a spot behind the rear wheel that looks pretty bad.
I went at it with a sanding disk and stopped when I got past 1/8" deep and was still getting what I'd call crusty-flaky rust. I primed it and sprayed it black and left it be.

I'll point it out to them when I take it in tomorrow.

Most vehicles have a 10 year 100,000 mile rust through warranty on body and frame. Best not to try the fix yourself because the dealer may say that all the damage was caused by the owner even if it wasn't

Took it to the dealer today and left it.
Got my service loaner.
I wonder what they thought I'd be doing with the loaner?

rental-loaner-optimism.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took it to the dealer today and left it.
Got my service loaner.
I wonder what they thought I'd be doing with the loaner?

rental-loaner-optimism.jpg
</div></div>

bet the jump seat smells like tuna................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bet the jump seat smells like tuna................ </div></div>

Dammit! I gotta drive this thing for two days. The mental image of some porker getting drilled in that seat is going to be a hard one to shake.
I guess shankster would be getting turned on about that.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With you being in VA. I would guess you may not have a big problem. In MI they love the road salt. </div></div>

15 years ago, no, it wasn't a big problem......

The winters here in SWVA lately are getting a lot longer, and a lot rougher....two years ago we got more total snow fall here than my buddy in Schenectady had.

Used to be they'd "treat" the roads, once in a while when a "big snow" was in the forecast prior to it getting here....with "road chemicals", or more correctly known as salt brine.

Of late, they still treat the roads like that, and more frequently.....and they've also discovered the beauty of how well cinders and salt work where the brine is useless.

Road salt corrosion is not just a northern thing anymore......

As to japanese steel rusting.....I grew up with intimate knowledge of the 70's era Chevy pickup and all the jap body parts that literally fell off by the chunk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
John L said:
As to japanese steel rusting.....I grew up with intimate knowledge of the 70's era Chevy pickup and all the jap body parts that literally fell off by the chunk. </div></div>

Those are the parts that the Japanese WARNED the US to heat treat and they did not? I am not even sure GM used Japanese parts, maybe...

My 1975 Datsun B210 had zero rust on it, in fact you'll probably see more Japanese cars on the road from the 1970's that you will chevy's...

Dana Corp made the frames for Toyota.
Toyota won a $25 million suit with Dana for the bad steel and is using that money to make things right for their customers.

I heard back from them today and my truck has been submitted to Toyota for the buy back program.
They said I should receive an offer from Toyota within 3 weeks.

Looking around on other forums, it would appear that they will be offering me between 125-150% of book value (retail-excellent)for the old truck.

If that's the case, Toyota is buying my truck for sure!

I just heard from Toyota.
They're offering $11,827 for my 2000 4x4 / 185,000 miles.
That's 150% of kbb retail, excellent condition.
Looks like they just bought themselves a truck!
grin.gif

Now I need to find a truck.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just heard from Toyota.
They're offering $11,827 for my 2000 4x4 / 185,000 miles.
That's 150% of kbb retail, excellent condition.
Looks like they just bought themselves a truck!
grin.gif

Now I need to find a truck.
eek.gif
</div></div>

Same deal they made my friend. Glad this worked out for you.

I just looked through my papers.
I paid $10,800 for the truck in February 2003.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang I need to go out and buy me some toyo trucks and make some money </div></div>

I think you don't get as good of a deal if you bought your truck after the original announcement in 2008. But still a great deal.

I finally got the call.
I'm taking my old truck in tomorrow and collecting the check.
Here's the old and new side by side.

DSCN0142.jpg

I have to say that is awesome customer service on Toyota's part. I have a 2007 ford with a 5.4L that sounds like a diesel. I take it in to the dealer, and they say "yep, that's normal." Ford post a bulletin about the issue, but won't offer to fix it. Cost to fix ticking diesel noise... $1400 and there's no guarantee that it's going to come right back. Now they don't even make the 5.4L even more... Still runs strong, just sounds like s**t...

Collected the check today.
The representative confirmed that the trucks go straight to the crusher. No salvage of any of the drivetrain components or anything.
That's a shame, because my truck had a great motor and transmission it, not to mention some good body parts.

Just give up! buy American get a ford and have many years of great service.

I got an 2010 f250 6.4 liter diesel that does every thing I want
and then some.
Roomy comfort POWER out the azz . can't say much for mileage LOL

But other than that the thing is a tank.

I considered a Ford, but Toyota has served me well over the years.
I just replaced the factory muffler on the 2000 last Fall.
Before that, the only part it had required was an O2 sensor.
That's over the course of 185,000 miles and 11 years.

Toyota gave me 150% of retail book for my old truck. To me, that means they aim to keep their customers happy.

Ford was the ONLY domestic brand I considered. The rest of those lying, government handout welfare cases can shove it.

From 2002-2007 ford dropped the ball on their 5.4L vehicles. Other than that, they make a good product. I had a 1997 F-150 with 360K miles that I sold right before I bought my 2007 F-150. I had to rebuild the transmission, but that's it. I sold it to a buddy and he is still driving it everyday. I also had a 2002 F-250 diesel for a work pickup for a few years that over 200K miles on it and I drove the piss out of it. I would just stay away from the 2002-2007 5.4L and you should be okay...

I've always wanted a Tacoma, especially the 2005+ models. But they are not cheap for a midsized pickup.