• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone else going to give Service Rife shooting a try since the rules change?

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    I've been shooting F-TR for yrs now and I've done pretty well. Of all the other NRA disciplines Service Rifle has always appealed to me, but in my mid 50s me eyes just aren't up to the front post game. Last yr the NRA and CMP changed the rules to allow 4.5x optics (as well as a lot of other cosmetic changes, like quad rails, collapsible stocks and M4 configurations) for service rifle shooting.

I for one have already mounted a Vortex 1-4 on my WOA flattop and am planning to put on a coat and sling for the first time this yr. Anyone else out there going to give it a try?

Honestly, no. With PRS and DMR matches, 2 gun and 3 gun, the traditional rifle matches have little appeal to me. Even with the rule changes, it just doesn't seem as exciting as the other opportunities.

My first service rifle match was in 1997 with a club loaner Garand. About 2005 was the last year that I could consider that I had actively shot across the course. I have shot 12 across the course matches since the rule change, including my first leg match. I'm back in, also an old guy too.