• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone else have the 1st gen fn spr?

.257wby

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
I bought my 1st gen almost two years ago from someone on the hide. Since then I am consistently amazed at it's performance. It's my first and only precision rifle.

Anyone have any good stories or info on these rifles? Its hard to find much on them.
6330122634_8a28abe3cb.jpg

Re: anyone else have the 1st gen fn spr?

The one that I shoot is a performer like yours.

The other wouldn't sell on here with 4 mags for 1100...go figure.
Makes a 'good' backup though!

Somewhere in my notes I have the number of them made in the orig. config. I'll see if I can look it up.

1st Generation SPRs are few and far between. Probably not more than 700 made. Made only a few years, back in the late 1990s. Serial numbers start with "FG", they featured an HS Precision stock, .308 Winchester, 4 round DBM magazine, aluminum bottom metal, 26" chrome lined barrel. Shipped without a rail. One model, no options. Good performers, well priced. Made in Columbia, SC with M-240 barrels.

thanks Ben. I've heard myths about the 'caged off semi-custom production' of these rifles before the employees found out the Winchester plant was being shut down.

It still baffles me that an M240 barrel gets the kind of accuracy that people are experiencing from these.

Bearsniper,

I bought one about the same time as you bought yours. We threw some PMs back and forth in 2010.

A couple of months ago a friend came over to shoot. Now we're not youngsters. I'm in my mid sixties and Johns a couple of years north of that. He shot three three shot groups. I told him where they were but he couldn't see them through his scope. We walked down to the target and the groups were not to point of aim but were OK in terms of MOA.

My turn next. I'd been shooting SW 175s and thought I'd left the scope adjusted for them. That day I was shooting FGMM 168s so made the correction without my notes. I couln't find a single round so we walked to the target again. One, not very ragged, hole on one of lines next to the bull. Back to the rickety patio table we were shooting off of and I made the scope correction. The next three rounds were on the 3/4" bull and measured in the mid .3s.

I didn't bother to tell John that the first group was the best I had ever shot. I know three shot groups don't count and that it didn't happen without pictures. It's the only target I have ever saved.

So yeah, I'm amazed.

yeah same story for me. My scope mysteriously died on me the other day. Hoping for a repair/replacement so I can get some 5 shot groups at longer range.

Mine loves those 175 smk's
cool.gif

I have an SPR A3G. But from reading this thread, it isn't a 1st generation. It isn't that old. I purchased it new about 3 years ago or so. It is my only precision rifle and I am still learning.

fnsprrifle0012publishrwh7.jpg

By greyson at 2008-11-11

Regards,
Greyson

Maybe you could post some pics of your rifle? I would like to see what yours looks like and how it might be different than mine?

Regards,
Greyson

6346067158_dda1d29dc4_b.jpg

This is mine, its a crappy cell phone pic but this is the best I have right now. As mentioned earlier the notable differences are:
HS precision stock
26" barrel made from m240 blanks