• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone else having issues with carbon?

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    I have an older tbac 338p-1, updated to ultra baffles and ba adapters.

This can is only used on my SRS and I'm predominately shooting 308 and 6.5cm through it with varget and h4350.

The other day I put my 300wm barrel back in. Shot an hog Friday night, never took the can off, it was up, down, in and out of the truck a few times until this afternoon. I couldn't close the bolt on a round. Chunks of carbon had fallen out of the can, down the bore into the chamber. Pulled the can, bolt, blew it out, put it back together and shot about 10rounds.

Back at home unscrewed the can muzzle down and I dumped the can out over a paper towel.

This can only sees 5 powders.
    308 varget and 2000mr
    6.5cm h4350
    300wm h1000
    338lm retumbo

Am I just going to have to use an ultrasonic or something on this one? Shoot the larger calibers more often? I've never had any trouble with big chunks of carbon like this in any other suppressor.

Not trying to dig at tbac here. It's an amazing can in every way other than this.

Attachments

• F0712879-E14D-46CB-9BD7-1F2DB651E672.jpeg
      F0712879-E14D-46CB-9BD7-1F2DB651E672.jpeg
      606.3 KB · Views: 32
    H1000 is a no go per TBAC
    I've heard it's dirty but I haven't shot the 300wm barrel in the last 6-700 rounds. Just the handful today. There was already a great deal of carbon in it and I think the 300wm just broke it loose.

I've found that if your not burning most of the powder in a load this happens with most magnums. I back off a bit and not an issue. Usually I see this in 24 inch WMs and goes away when I'm shooting the 26. Not sure what or why exactly but that's my theory.

We've never said H1000 is a no go. It just accelerates the cleaning schedule because it fouls at a rate much much faster than anything else we've see. If you're getting a lot of carbon falling out it's time to clean.

Reactions: NFAJohn
    It's just odd that 95% of the time this one is seeing varget and h4350 but I have so much carbon and it has never been a problem in any other can with the same powders.

Even this one when it was still direct thread was pretty problem free.

Good timing on this thread....

I have a 30BA with 855 rounds through it. I just recently noticed it sounds louder than before. Even had some other shooters comment on the increasd noise, so i weighed it. It weighs 1 1/8 oz heavier then when new. I too noticed small carbon flakes like you. I shoot H1000 in my 300WM, but that only accounts for about 200 rounds out of the 855. I also shoot Benchmark, Varget, H4350, H4831, (all Hodgdon powders), and various factory ammo.

I did the CLR cleaning and got a bunch of crud out of it. Not shiney new, but a big difference with the naked eye. Forgot to weigh it again, but took it to the range and we're back to normal. No carbon flakes either.

Hopefully @Zak Smith can give his opinion, but using H1000 MAY require more frequent cleaning. Hopefully I didn't have another more serious issue. I would guess the can is like a barrel... it will tell you when it needs cleaning.

Last edited:
    From what I have read H1000 is less prone to fouling,
    What we are saying is that H1000 fouls cans a lot faster than any other powder we've seen.

With regard to 1.125 ounces extra, most of the cans that we get that are "noticeably" louder are more in the range of 8 ounces over spec, so it's fairly unlikely it would do that. If you can clean it with CLR when you have 1-2 ounces or less, it will stay easier to clean if you maintain it

What we are saying is that H1000 fouls cans a lot faster than any other powder we've seen.

With regard to 1.125 ounces extra, most of the cans that we get that are "noticeably" louder are more in the range of 8 ounces over spec, so it's fairly unlikely it would do that. If you can clean it with CLR when you have 1-2 ounces or less, it will stay easier to clean if you maintain it
    Is clr gtg on all parts on the can including the cerakote? Or are there areas that should not have contact?

I soak my Omega in CLR and the DIP every 5-600 rounds or so. I've been using a lot of RL16 and 26, and they seem to carbon up real bad. after a good DIP soak, big chunks of carbon fall out when I whack the can on a piece of wood. definitely makes a difference in the sound after cleaning. No change in impact though.