• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone else in the VFW?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I was at the Nation's Gun Show this weekend perusing the new dream catcher and jerky offerings and the VFW had a table setup. I have a local post in Berryville, VA and have been considering joining for a while. Had a good chat with the guys, most over 60, and figured it was a good time to join.

I'm a GWOT vet and I know there's going to be a large age difference when I go to the post. Still, all of us who have served share that bond and those experiences whether we served in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, or any time since then.

Who else is a member, and have any recent bets joined the VFW or a similar organization? I know people like to do the online thing and have joined Facebook vets groups, but that feels like a hollow substitute for a brick and mortar organization.

I am a member, just as my father and both grandfathers, I'm a younger guy in my 30's. I think it's important that younger veterans join organizations like VFW and American Legion to keep them alive.

Last edited:
They seem to be seeking members now. I've seen commercials promoting the VFW on TV for the first time in my memory.

These social orgs, Legion, Masons, Rotary, you name it, are suffering for membership. I'm guessing other forms of electronic social media have taken their place. I don't think that is a good change.

I think these orgs are important and do have a benefit in being able to apply political clout.

They would benefit from qualified members. Back in the day when I spent more time in VFWs or Legion Posts I noticed that most were being taken over by the "Associate" members. People that did not meet the charter membership requirements but were children or friends sponsored by qualified members. In a few places I sensed that the Associates ran the place as their private club and the Vets were sort of an unwanted necessary evil.

I belong to a Post in Hudson, WI. I no longer live there and am not active in their doings. It's hard for some posts to survive because of a lack of interest hence declining membership. But I would think that is regional and lack of good leadership. I was a bit disappointed while there although I have given them financial support over the years. The American Legion keeps sending me stuff requesting I join them but nah, I don't think so, but I do enjoy their mag.

We need some younger people with more energy.

Great to hear. I'm on business in the southern Philippines for a bit but looking forward to having my first beer at the local Post.

Great to hear. I'm on business in the southern Philippines for a bit but looking forward to having my first beer at the local Post.

Funny you mention that about the beer. A lot of people think the Vet's organizations are just a bunch of old guys sitting around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes reminiscing about their service. That may be true to a certain extent but they also do a lot of other things that most folks don't even know about.

Dang, I like the spellcheck on here. It made my spelling of reminiscing much easier but still was a struggle. LOL