• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone else Jug for turtles?

psdan000

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
Ohio
When I first bought my property here in SW OH, we had a pond that was overwhelmed by snapping turtles. I made it my mission to rid the pond of them. Spent the past few years perfecting my method but always curious how others did it? I use a small gatorade jug or milk jug, about 16-20" of heavy duty (100lb) nylon fishing line. Ive found they cant break this line as its pretty flexible, where they have broken heavy monofilament and even steel leaders with ease, and a single large hook. For bait, my secret is a frog head (after harvesting the frog legs), they can't resist them. I usually give them to a friend of mine who likes to eat them, I have no desire to eat them myself. Curious to here how others do it!
IMG_3724
IMG_0174
IMG_0172
IMG_4136
IMG_3747
IMG_3746

Reactions: Charlie112 and BCX
Similar methods sometimes just run a trot line across pond with just about anything on the hook but chicken livers work great you’ll catch cats also lots of time. Can’t believe your not eating them that’s kinda anti American lol. Buy a 15 bean soup mix and cut up some carrots onion and a potato put it all in the crockpot on high 5-6 hours its a delicious turtle stew that can’t be easier even the wife loves it.

Reactions: psdan000