• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever cut down a gas tube?

slodsm

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Fort Worth Texas
www.google.com
Yeah yeah buy a new one go be poor elsewhere etc etc lmao.

I have 2 new ones on the way but with the holidays they won’t be here for a couple of weeks. It’s a WOA 18” 3 gun bbl and the gas system is rifle minus 1 so I can’t just go grab one at the store.

I keep tinkering with the gun and it’s now got a JP centerless recoil spring and a brownells lightweight nickel boron BCG so obviously I’m going to need to tune the gas system. Enter the seekins adjustable gas block BUT I can’t get the damn gas tube out of my non adjustable BCM gas block. I’ve soaked it, heated it, smacked it, etc and it won’t freakin budge.

i was wanting to be able to run the gun this weekend when I go to check out north east Texas tactical now that the lawsuit is over (my current 1k range in now being sued by dipshits who bought land at the end of an active range, built houses, and are now crying) so I’m making a contingency plan.

Either way, Ive had this AR reliably out to 800 yards and it’s a ton of fun and cheap to shoot so I wanted to bring it as well as my big gun BUT need a shorter gas tube to get it up and running again.

Anyone cut one and maybe use a brake line swage kit to flare the end a bit again?

Depending on exactly where the tube bend is relative to your barrel nut you may be fine (if you can cut the back end) or it may be a giant pain in the ass (if you need to cut, drill the port, clean, and weld the other end shut).

Reactions: slodsm
That’s kinda what I was thinking, but I wanted a second opinion.

Luckily I left the gas block in Kroil overnight and this morning with some serious whacking I was able to break it loose before I started cutting down a spare rifle one I have.

Still have a few spares on the way though in case this happens again.

Sounds like a great way to fuck up a gas tube either cutting it wrong, or flaring it wrong. I'd just wait for the right parts to come in.