• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever get ripples in primers?

Subxero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2012
PA
So i shot some of my reloads out of my 300 RUM the other day. Was working up a load and noticed from the start even on my light loads was getting mild rippling in the primer. Kind of like if you drop a rock in a pond and take a picture you have ripple rings.

Primers are not flat... hence ripple exists.

I noticed it on the factory rounds a shot as well.

Getting a tiny bit of primer flow back in and around the firing pin hole but i read this can be expected with large magnums

Primers are tight upon removal, pocket is very clean no leaking gas. I chrono'ed all my shots and everything was consistent and at expected values, only very light extractor marks on my 2 higher charges

Not super familiar with the large mag cartridges and just wasn't sure if this is common?

P.S. CCI large mag primers

Re: Anyone ever get ripples in primers?

You probably already have but make sure your priming tool isn't making the marks on the primer before you even shoot the rounds since if you use a bit too much seating force it can make that concentric ring mark too.

Yep, I do all the time with my RCBS priming tool. I think it may be from softer primers, it only happens with CCI 300s for me

If the firing pin hole is slightly over-large, you will get flow-back around the firing pin causing a rippling look.

That's the reason some people have their bolts bushed.

Look at the bolt face.....

I'm betting there are circular rings there around the FP hole from sloppy lathe work when the bolt was made.....causing a "ripple" looking imprint on the primer.

A picture would be nice on threads like these.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the bolt face.....

I'm betting there are circular rings there around the FP hole from sloppy lathe work when the bolt was made.....causing a "ripple" looking imprint on the primer.

A picture would be nice on threads like these......... </div></div>

Without a photo I would suspect this first.

Thanks for the input, i will look at everything tonight on my bolt face, i was kinda thinking that was a possibility that it was just an imprint but never looked at it.

Ill post what i find out and get some pics up when i get a chance.

Sorry no pics though

once in a while I get ugly looking primers but after they are shot I put new ones in the brass and don't worry about it.
cheers.

yeah, these ripples are from the bolt face

thanks guys