• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever run a vending machine business?

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
Need advice from those who have done it.

I am in the thought process of “hey I should start a vending machine business”

I’m curious if anyone has done this and has advice beyond “make sure you have power, more secure is more better, pick a good location.....”

I’m more interested in why you quit doing it or why you still do it and some advice on how to be better at it before I start.

<--- has never run a vending machine business

Out of curiosity, what are you likely to sell? Is this more traditional vending items (non or semi perishable food products); or Japan style - pretty much anything?

Had a buddy who inherited one from his father. Main issue was finding someone who could work on the machines when they screwed up and they stayed screwed up! Had one old guy who was really good and when he died The problems began!

My brother (in PHX) got into it about a year ago, beverage machines report inventory to his cell phone, I think it's going well. I think the toughest part was getting into a good location. A good location might be a Red Roof or Motel 6, where people live off those machines. (poors will always be poor).

Talk to your cpa before starting any business. You are going to have a lot of different taxes you will need to keep up with and file monthly, mostly sales tax. Try to find an existing business to buy. Let the other guy develop the market for you and see if he was making enough money to make it worthwhile. Most good routes are probably already taken. Are you mechanically inclined so you can fix your machines? Have you been to a trade show and seen how much good vending machines cost? They start at about $10 grand each and go up from there. Where are you going to store your inventory? If food items, how will you keep them temperature controlled and vermin free? Do you have time to run your route and keep the machines full and working?

I had soda machines in my business and had Pepsi and coke products. I dropped coke because I had to carry stock in about 10 different products for each and the space requirements for all the inventory was ridiculous due to the minimum order requirements. I also had food and amusement vending owned by others in the stores and I split the take 50/50 with the owners. I gave them electricity and space and they gave me 50% of the gross. And you will be forever removing pennies, toothpicks, gum, straws, gummy bears, and anything else a kid or adult can put in the coin slot. If you take credit cards, be prepared to give the card merchant 8% of your gross. Like I said, see you can find an existing business to buy. Then you will know what the biz is making, you'll get equipment at a discount, and you will already have a route/territory developed for you. Good luck!

<--- has never run a vending machine business

Out of curiosity, what are you likely to sell? Is this more traditional vending items (non or semi perishable food products); or Japan style - pretty much anything?
I want to put a can dispenser at local gun range. They sell drinks.....when they feel like it....or have them.

I think there is an opportunity.

Had a buddy who inherited one from his father. Main issue was finding someone who could work on the machines when they screwed up and they stayed screwed up! Had one old guy who was really good and when he died The problems began!

I can see this bing the eventual downfall.

I’ve seen refurbished units w warranty for $1500. Hopefully I could get this, make my money back, earn a profit and eventually sell as a cheap gun safe to someone.

1618259278632.png

Talk to your cpa before starting any business. You are going to have a lot of different taxes you will need to keep up with and file monthly, mostly sales tax. Try to find an existing business to buy. Let the other guy develop the market for you and see if he was making enough money to make it worthwhile. Most good routes are probably already taken. Are you mechanically inclined so you can fix your machines? Have you been to a trade show and seen how much good vending machines cost? They start at about $10 grand each and go up from there. Where are you going to store your inventory? If food items, how will you keep them temperature controlled and vermin free? Do you have time to run your route and keep the machines full and working?

I had soda machines in my business and had Pepsi and coke products. I dropped coke because I had to carry stock in about 10 different products for each and the space requirements for all the inventory was ridiculous due to the minimum order requirements. I also had food and amusement vending owned by others in the stores and I split the take 50/50 with the owners. I gave them electricity and space and they gave me 50% of the gross. And you will be forever removing pennies, toothpicks, gum, straws, gummy bears, and anything else a kid or adult can put in the coin slot. If you take credit cards, be prepared to give the card merchant 8% of your gross. Like I said, see you can find an existing business to buy. Then you will know what the biz is making, you'll get equipment at a discount, and you will already have a route/territory developed for you. Good luck!

I appreciate your knowledge.

Right now the plan (nothing set in stone) is to purchase a can dispenser and fill it with cans from Costco. I realize there is an economy of scale but at this point I don’t even have a machine and IDK what IDK.

I reached out to the RO at the range and he supports the idea. I just have to ask the board.

They currently sell drinks but never really sell drinks. After years of frustrating 100F+ you think I’d learn to always have enough water. So I can bitch and complain or I can try to offer a solution.

This would not be my new income, it needs to pay it’s own way and keep drinks cold.

I’m a foolish? Yes

Those are the hockey playing Hanson brothers from the movie Slap Shot. In the movie they are not friendly to a vending machine, after it steals their quarter.

Like the jerky idea. Never saw it in a vending machine but I bet it would sell!