• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anyone ever seen had problem Rem700?

81sfo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2008
    USA HOU TX
    I bought a New 308 rem700 action,some months ago here on the hide,dont even remeber from who,but i just recieved my barreld action from RWS and the lip, that is on the bolt way that keeps the follower from coming thru into the top of the action,is missing.Im no way blaming RWS on this ,i truly believe It must be a Remington 700 blem action ,if there is such thing?Im just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before.The same lip serves for keeping the rounds in the mag box aswell.So at the moment i cannot load more than one round,i cannot cycle the bolt back and forth because the follower is in the way of the bolt,nothing is keeping ti from staying down in the mag box.
    The LIP is part of the action,it is not seem like its broken off either,its just not there.ill post some pics shortly.thanks in advance.

Heres the rifle, outstanding work RWS did on the barrel action and surefire brake installation.Rock 1-10 twist 21" overall lenght with brake.
    xxxmmm3.jpg

Heres the follower into the action.
    xxxmmm3-1.jpg

Heres the bottom view if the action with the bolt inside.
    action2.jpg

Heres another 308 rem700 action that i have,shows the lip im talking about.
    action1.jpg

Heres the lip again on the good action.
    action3.jpg

Re: Anyone ever seen had problem Rem700?

There's nothing wrong with your action, the rifle that receiver originially came from was set up with a detachable mag from the factory. Remington 700's with factory DBM's don't have the lip to hold the follower in because it's not needed. The plus side is that it's a good reason to upgrad to a Badger/CDI/Seekins/ detachable magazine system.

I've got the same problem, on a new Rem 700 SA, I to have to load one round at a time, did you ever find a fix or solve the problem?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a New 308 rem700 action,some months ago here on the hide,dont even remeber from who,but i just recieved my barreld action from RWS and the lip, that is on the bolt way that keeps the follower from coming thru into the top of the action,is missing.Im no way blaming RWS on this ,i truly believe It must be a Remington 700 blem action ,if there is such thing?Im just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before.The same lip serves for keeping the rounds in the mag box aswell.So at the moment i cannot load more than one round,i cannot cycle the bolt back and forth because the follower is in the way of the bolt,nothing is keeping ti from staying down in the mag box.
    The LIP is part of the action,it is not seem like its broken off either,its just not there.ill post some pics shortly.thanks in advance. </div></div>

Just get a BO BM and set it up for AW mags!

This same thing just happened to a friend of mine on a long action. I was unaware of this as well, but you need to be careful when buy these actions. If they are designed for a clip then thats what you have to use. As far as I know you wont be able to make a standard floor plate system work in one of these actions. Not that there is anything wrong with clip feed actions, it just sucks to figure it out after the build is complete. My buddy actually had his gunsmith change the action out because he already had the stock and the bottom metal for the BDL action.

Thanks!!oh ok then it was an action for a detach mag system factory Remy.So i should be ok if i use a Badger M5 then? pics up!!

I was thinking of TIG welding a lip on the mag box to fix this problem.I will try it since i have an extra mag box somewhere.

Well, guess I'll be getting a Seekins 308 DBM, will just need to find a good smith to inlet my wood stock, I know a (WOOD) stock, but this was going to be my truck gun, stock was given to me.

At least all have the parts ready for the Manners Stock, all ready on hand.

Yes it sucks, just completed my scout rifle build, bedded, and took to the range, only to find you have to feed it one, at a time, because the follower doesn't work, and this action is I guess a clip fed action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leatherman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, guess I'll be getting a Seekins 308 DBM, will just need to find a good smith to inlet my wood stock, I know a (WOOD) stock, but this was going to be my truck gun, stock was given to me.

At least all have the parts ready for the Manners Stock, all ready on hand.

Yes it sucks, just completed my scout rifle build, bedded, and took to the range, only to find you have to feed it one, at a time, because the follower doesn't work, and this action is I guess a clip fed action.</div></div>
    its a crappy feeling huh?

Look at this way, now you can really be able to explain to HOUSE HOLD SIX, the reason you have to spend a couple hundred more for a DBM.

Mine just told me I was an F'in idiot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leatherman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at this way, now you can really be able to explain to HOUSE HOLD SIX, the reason you have to spend a couple hundred more for a DBM.

Mine just told me I was an F'in idiot.</div></div>
    Screw explaining anything, i dont tell HHS what i purchase.

i think that mightve come from me...
    if i wouldve known the difference myself i wouldve mentioned it at the time, but it wasnt until i got a PSS barreled action off here that had the same thing that i was made aware of the difference (as i was putting it in the stock, hoping to go to the range later that day).

i still have it sitting around, i was planning on using it for a custom build but caught the difference before i shipped it out. ended up sending the sps tactical and went without an operable bolt action for a few weeks.

still have the DM action sitting around collecting dust, not sure what to do with it. might go the opposite route and make a single shot 6br, but thats so far down the road i cant even get excited about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a New 308 rem700 action,some months ago here on the hide,dont even remeber from who,but i just recieved my barreld action from RWS and the lip, that is on the bolt way that keeps the follower from coming thru into the top of the action,is missing.Im no way blaming RWS on this ,i truly believe It must be a Remington 700 blem action ,if there is such thing?Im just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before.The same lip serves for keeping the rounds in the mag box aswell.So at the moment i cannot load more than one round,i cannot cycle the bolt back and forth because the follower is in the way of the bolt,nothing is keeping ti from staying down in the mag box.
    The LIP is part of the action,it is not seem like its broken off either,its just not there.ill post some pics shortly.thanks in advance. </div></div>

Just get a BO BM and set it up for AW mags! </div></div>

What he said...............

JJ

That's a little harsh!! I hadn't seen this before either, fact is I never even thought about being an issue. We messed around with my buddies gun for an hour before I even realized what the problem was. His was in a wood laminated stock as well, I would have had a detachable mag installed, but he didn't want one. I totally understand having the wife heated up over the deal, mine wasn't to keen on my last two GAP builds, or the S&B scopes. I've got 7 kids now, so my rifle builds have been scaled way back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think that mightve come from me...
    if i wouldve known the difference myself i wouldve mentioned it at the time, but it wasnt until i got a PSS barreled action off here that had the same thing that i was made aware of the difference (as i was putting it in the stock, hoping to go to the range later that day).

i still have it sitting around, i was planning on using it for a custom build but caught the difference before i shipped it out. ended up sending the sps tactical and went without an operable bolt action for a few weeks.

still have the DM action sitting around collecting dust, not sure what to do with it. might go the opposite route and make a single shot 6br, but thats so far down the road i cant even get excited about it.

</div></div>
    hey no problem.i didnt know there was a diffrence to begin with,so no hard feelings..i should be ok with a M5 badger bottom.thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leatherman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at this way, now you can really be able to explain to HOUSE HOLD SIX, the reason you have to spend a couple hundred more for a DBM.

Mine just told me I was an F'in idiot.</div></div>
    Screw explaining anything, i dont tell HHS what i purchase.
    </div></div>

Thats why all my rifles are black. I just say "it's the same one" LOL