• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anyone ever seen this before (Savage)

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
I bought a Savage Axis a few years back for a project I just got started on. I pulled off the 30-06 barrel today in preparation to have the action trued and install a light Palma 8x57 barrel.

When I broke the barrel nut loose, I noticed a bunch of tiny little round objects come out of the threads. I was able to get the action off the barrel tenon no problem but the nut locked up hard half way off. Needless to say I’m a bit perplexed by what this could be. Feels metallic but I didn’t try to get them to stick to a magnet. Almost looks like fine spherical gunpowder, but like extra fine and again, really hard.

Any ideas? Anyone ever seen anything like this? The rifle is new from Cabelas, and is still unfired. Thanks.

53312590470_7feae2f62e_4k.jpg

The nut comes off the breech end anyway.
Unscrew the action and then the nut. Inspect from there.

Reactions: FuhQ
The nut comes off the breech end anyway.
Unscrew the action and then the nut. Inspect from there.
That photo was before I got the action off but had loosened the nut by a full rotation. None of that stuff in the threads on the action side, all under the barrel nut. I unscrewed the action and then attempted to unscrew the nut off the breech end.. Lots of friction and it locked up tight before I could get it all the way off. The barrel and nut are throw-aways for me anyways, so Im not too concerned, just wondering what the hell that crap in the threads is..

Seen it a bunch. It's either blasting media done before the finishing of the barreled action by Savage or it's intentionally put on the threads for some reason. Since Savage is the high point of the bolt action world I would tend to think it is blasting media and they just don't care that it gets into the joint during manufacture.

I had that happen on a 110 I owned. I thought I spilled gun powder but it didn't burn when I put a lighter up to it.

Seen it a bunch. It's either blasting media done before the finishing of the barreled action by Savage or it's intentionally put on the threads for some reason. Since Savage is the high point of the bolt action world I would tend to think it is blasting media and they just don't care that it gets into the joint during manufacture.
This seems to be the consensus over on SavageShooters.com.. Pretty shitty if you ask me and now I know why this was my first (and most likely last) Savage rifle.. At least for the price I got it at, its basically a disposable rifle anyways.. I think I was out the door for $150 at Cabelas.

Reactions: Capt45
If I remember correctly savage did the blast/blue after assembly. Heard that many years ago when I was on the savage shooters page

My thought was peeling the finish off the barrel with such tight tolerances.
all bullshit aside, I like Savage rifles. Had this on one of mine and it was some of the finish and maybe some media from blasting was all I could figure.

Yeah, never seen that shit before.
I wonder if they're using that media as a thread filler because of either an undersized tenon or an oversized barrel nut.
Maybe you could measure both the tenon OD & the nut ID & check if they're out of spec.

I had a shop machine the barrel of my Savage and he reported the same problem.
The shop ended up having to order a new nut as it was destroyed.
Thankfully they did not charge me for the new nut and it just caused a delay in getting it back.

Its salt / blast media. Been reported on a bunch of times. Yes ive seen it, yes its annoying.

Looks like the scope base screws were still in the action or they were installed on top of glass bead and pushed into the threads....that's my guess on the shanked shank.
Definitely wasn’t the screws. Those were out. It’s all the junk that was in the threads. Best I’ve found is that it’s savages finish polishing media.

That barrel's threads are toast, and I doubt a factory Savage barrel is worth re-threading for use in another rifle.

On the bright side, you could have a nice new stake for the tomato garden. Or turn it into a couple of ammo case gauge dies. Again, not sure if it's worth the machine time, unless you have your own lathe and time to to burn. Could also be used to practice cutting threads, or practice chambering. Other than that, I'd toss it in the scrap metal bin.

The Axis is Savage's lowest grade gun...and it shows.

Reactions: linedrive301ft
That barrel's threads are toast, and I doubt a factory Savage barrel is worth re-threading for use in another rifle.

On the bright side, you could have a nice new stake for the tomato garden. Or turn it into a couple of ammo case gauge dies. Again, not sure if it's worth the machine time, unless you have your own lathe and time to to burn. Could also be used to practice cutting threads, or practice chambering. Other than that, I'd toss it in the scrap metal bin.

The Axis is Savage's lowest grade gun...and it shows.
It’s in the bin. I’ll be sourcing a 8x57 barrel for it soon.

I bought a Savage Axis a few years back for a project I just got started on. I pulled off the 30-06 barrel today in preparation to have the action trued and install a light Palma 8x57 barrel.

When I broke the barrel nut loose, I noticed a bunch of tiny little round objects come out of the threads. I was able to get the action off the barrel tenon no problem but the nut locked up hard half way off. Needless to say I’m a bit perplexed by what this could be. Feels metallic but I didn’t try to get them to stick to a magnet. Almost looks like fine spherical gunpowder, but like extra fine and again, really hard.

Any ideas? Anyone ever seen anything like this? The rifle is new from Cabelas, and is still unfired. Thanks.

53312590470_7feae2f62e_4k.jpg
Light Palma 8x57 Axis? What you cookin?

Mike

Light Palma 8x57 Axis? What you cookin?

Mike
Ive always been in love with the 8x57 cartridge and I really want to build an inexpensive 8x57 "precision hunting rifle". The Savage seemed like the way to go for the "inexpensive" part. I think I paid $150 for the rifle after the rebate and discount and store credit, so the factory barrel being a throw-away is totally fine by me.

Ive always been in love with the 8x57 cartridge and I really want to build an inexpensive 8x57 "precision hunting rifle". The Savage seemed like the way to go for the "inexpensive" part. I think I paid $150 for the rifle after the rebate and discount and store credit, so the factory barrel being a throw-away is totally fine by me.
Hmmm...might wanna keep an eye out for an old Husqvarna Mauser. They had a lot of them imported into the US, and they tended to be real shooters. Well made as well.

Hmmm...might wanna keep an eye out for an old Husqvarna Mauser. They had a lot of them imported into the US, and they tended to be real shooters. Well made as well.
I have a VZ.24, that years ago I converted over to 7mag.. If I had this hair up my ass back then, it would have gotten a Shilen 8x57 as opposed to a 7mag tube. That thing is a shooter though, so no regrets there.

53378823511_9a5ecae8ac_k.jpg

Reactions: MarinePMI