• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever tempted to just sell them all and start over

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Like a lake turning over does anyone ever get the urge to sell (almost) all of their guns and start fresh? Sometimes I look at what I have and think "why do I have this instead of that?" I don't mean getting out of guns all together, but more like just hitting the restart button.

Just me?

Reactions: myronman3
Uh no I shoot a AI's... maybe if I ran second rate rifles like mrads or something I would.

Ain't that right @candyx

1605634938906.png

I keep my inventory small. If they no longer interest me I sell for something else. I've gotten to the point where I only have rifles I take to the range every month. Keeps me from running away with frenzied buying because I force myself to keep an active rotation going.

I have a few that I would keep but have considered it with the rest of my rifles. Mainly bored and wanting to try different guns but I always lose my ass selling so I'll keep them and add to the collection.

I've rotated through much of my guns over the decades.
What you thought was hot stuff 20 years ago now you never shoot so you sell it off to fund other stuff.
Hot torrid love affairs with certain brands or lines eventually fade and you move on to new loves etc.

I've rotated through much of my guns over the decades.
What you thought was hot stuff 20 years ago now you never shoot so you sell it off to fund other stuff.
Hot torrid love affairs with certain brands or lines eventually fade and you move on to new loves etc.
Looks wistfully at my FNH ballcap while Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer" plays...

Reactions: J-Ham
I actually did this recently. I had several guns that I just never shot. I sold off most everything that just sat around to fund some much better gear. Now I need to make some glass upgrades

Yep, did it. Sold all the bolt guns and glass and got down to 2 optics and 2 rifles. I wanted to play around with multiple long action calibers so bought an AI. I try not to tell people though. 🤣

That’s kind of what I did to buy my AI’s/ATACR combos. Still have a bunch I could sell but some I really like yet. Somehow no matter how many I sell the room in the safe for new guns never seems to get bigger

I didn't sell them all (I kept the Vudoos and old stuff) but I did sell my LR precision rifle and accessories including all my reloading components recently. Mainly because I don't have time to reload and drive to a place where I can shoot further than 300 yards and I have have been missing true precision rifle shooting, not just this "close enough" ringing steel stuff (just jokes people). But yeah I sold my AI and Bender to fund this and custom Cappie kit & I am truly loving it!

IMG_20210303_082427172.jpg

Here is my range as seen from the firing point, I'm trying to keep myself from buying an electronic target system like Sius:

IMG_20210303_141857489.jpg

I don't really miss the centerfire stuff yet, this is much more difficult and interesting to me! But to each their own...

Did this about 5 years ago. Sold most of the extras to consolidate the reloading bench and safe. I ended up building a pair of rifles for hunting and bought a couple for playing.

I did several years ago. All cheap factory rifles. Turned them into some "fancy" cooper's and christensen ridgelines. Then got bored with them and turned them into a a few customs. And now.... kinda went backwards haha I now am back to owning a couple savages. I want to own them all and shoot them all in all different calibers but I cant so I sell them pretty regular to buy the next one. It's a sickness according to my wife but hey better than spending money on cocaine and hookers I tell her.

Last edited:
I also did this in the reloading room. I bought almost everything all over. Different press, dies, trimmer, powder thrower, and a bunch of other stuff

If I had never sold a single gun, until now, and sold them all, I would be writing this from my new island. Instead, I can't even remember what I got for the last one sold. Pathetic at best.

Like a lake turning over does anyone ever get the urge to sell (almost) all of their guns and start fresh? Sometimes I look at what I have and think "why do I have this instead of that?" I don't mean getting out of guns all together, but more like just hitting the restart button.

Just me?
I did this once. I cleared out the safe of all the firearms I don't shoot more than twice a year and put the proceeds into reloading components and ammo.

I'm a better shooter for it.

Actually attempted to purchase a AI Rifle this week but the line was to long they must of been running a sale for the holiday .......
gay-1453594_1920_0 (1).jpg

I think they were chanting "Step Up Prep UP" what ever that means.....

Last edited:
The bad thing about when you own an AI is there is no place else to go but down.....;)
Fuck yeah. It’s not like you are gonna make it to shore with that thing, and you sure as shit ain’t dropping something that expensive.

The Special Boat Squadron had to replace 100% of their Sniper Team for 10 years running until some grizzled sargent told them to stop handing the guys a boat anchor and diving gear.

Now they wrap the rifles in 15 of the pool float arm bands and it’s mostly neutral buoyancy.

I was starting to pair everything down. Too many XP-100’s and other long range bolt handguns. Too many Ruger Single Action revolvers, and quite a few miscellaneous firearms. then biden got elected. With those devils and all their nefarious associates around, I absolutely am hanging on to everything that goes BANG!

Reactions: candyx

Just me?
I do it with gear, optics, accessories etc. May be about one thing for awhile and get the bug to try some other shit. Rather than live under a bridge or with revolving debt, I’ll sell some stuff to fund new stuff. A lot of cats do it. Nothing weird about it. Just keep in mind, you may regret at least one thing. YMMV. 🤙

I was starting to pair everything down. Too many XP-100’s and other long range bolt handguns. Too many Ruger Single Action revolvers, and quite a few miscellaneous firearms. then biden got elected. With those devils and all their nefarious associates around, I absolutely am hanging on to everything that goes BANG!

There's no such thing as too many XP-100s.

Wish I had never sold mine.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
If I keep enough guns, they may start to breed.
Problem is most of my guns are very old and would rather shoot than breed.

BugIn

Reactions: TacosGigante
I thought refreshing your stash was a natural progression of age and wealth. The only 90's era guns I have left are a Colt HBar and 2 SBE's.
I admit to selling a couple was not the wisest move, but the word regret is not in play.

unless they are a special run, family heirloom, my first hunting rifle etc...adios

rifles are like screwdrivers they wear out, get replaced etc

its a block of metal with a hole in screwed to a block of metal with a hole in it

and there are 10's of thousands out there that are just the same as "yours"

its not starting over it evolving and upgrading, metallurgy, ergonomics, accuracy potential, customer service, spare parts

Reactions: Milo 2.5
I'm contemplating doing this exact thing. Bad thing is, only a couple are "upper end/ worth something" like the
Ilion Bushmaster ACR. Everything else is just, meh...

Reactions: Jscb1b
I'm contemplating doing this exact thing. Bad thing is, only a couple are "upper end/ worth something" like the
Ilion Bushmaster ACR. Everything else is just, meh...
exactly

if they are meh...then sell the whole pile and buy something that isnt meh

this is our hobby and sport why use meh gear

makes me crazy to see guys with huge safes full of AR's all kitted out the same

you have a semi auto 556, with a LPVO and a different handguard with varying barrel lengths from 16-22"

keep one of each length and buy something different...they are all not as accurate as a quality bolt gun and they arent a SBR for "zombie house clearing"

Reactions: kindabitey
Don’t fear the purge… it’s good to have fresh new barrels on fresh new actions. 😂

Reactions: Milo 2.5
There's no such thing as too many XP-100s.

Wish I had never sold mine.
We only had five and a Kimber Predator and a custom Savage Striker and a brace of .22’s. The 7BR could have made a decent hunting gun and the .221 was a first year production including case, and the Predator was really too nice too shoot (though I shot the fire out of it, even scoring a 39x40 in half scale) and then there was Striker. But we still have three plus the 22’s, all fully custom and all shooters.

(and I pine for one of those Nosler 48’s)

Firearms, hog-stickers, and axes are tangible assets. At least 5% of your portfolio should include them.

My wife grins every time I say that. Fortunately she tolerates my addiction.

A close friend that I shoot with always says there are worse ways to blow cash.

With all of that said, it never hurts to plan for the worse. If I were to pass today, my family would have a hard to sorting through my tangible assets.

Order rules, have a plan, no man should own more than he can manage well. Thinning the herd may be in order.

TRG led me to an AI and another TRG, so my problem won’t be manageable soon. I am hoping the AI itch doesn’t begin.

Happy hunting is what I call it - guns or animals - their both fun.

I just started putting red dots on my pistols. I liked them so much, I am selling some higher end pistols for a loss, and putting red dots on all the others.
20 years ago I thought I would never sell my hammer fired Sigs. Now I am down to just a couple of them, and replacing with P320s and red dots.