• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

anyone ever try or use something like this ?

acudaowner

Two Star General
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
1582912113649.png
if so who's did you buy or make it yourself ? I have seen the flat ones and the one curved this says are bad but looking for one like the right example I am drawing a blank finding any company that makes any of them . If I could ask what are your thoughts on the idea or function ( did it work for you , what materials were yours made from ) thanks .

I saw one at a bench rest match once, carbon fiber. Never used one though

Attachments

• FDB35FC3-1934-4466-B365-A5CA93B5B771.jpeg
    FDB35FC3-1934-4466-B365-A5CA93B5B771.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: acudaowner
Used to be very common (mirage bands, in general) in the Long range highpower days. They can make a substantial difference in the amount of “barrel generated” mirage that you look through. I think that most of us try to avoid getting barrels that hot anymore.

If my barrel is that hot I take a break, heat kills barrels. The suppressor on the other hand gets a cover put on it. I’m not sure how anyone shoots without one

At one of the ranges I do quick load work at sits in a big hole and air is quite dead.
Just a smidge of barrel heat there and you get issues quickly.
I’ve thought of making one with a Venetian blind slat.

I get that I try not to shoot that much at one time to limit how hot the barrel gets I just saw this thing and wondered others thoughts I also have tried the chamber chiller I though in novel for the money it was ok , I like the other guy said just stop and let it cool on its own using that time to watch others shoot , It was just a product I had never seen or heard of .

I get that I try not to shoot that much at one time to limit how hot the barrel gets I just saw this thing and wondered others thoughts I also have tried the chamber chiller I though in novel for the money it was ok , I like the other guy said just stop and let it cool on its own using that time to watch others shoot , It was just a product I had never seen or heard of .
I’ve considered the chillers but I can even see a use for the heat shielding in eastern Washington and Oregon in the summer where the barrel gets hot before you’ve even started shooting.

Reactions: MarinePMI
We use them regularly on our prairie dog rifles when in Montana. They can get pretty "warm" when the targets are thick and stupid.
I made mine out of cut off sections of 6' lengths of white window shade blinds. They even have the correct curl. Attach with small pieces of Velcro.

Very common on our bench rest guns. 6ppc and 6dashers. They work

I think brownell has them metal or carbon fiber. Use them at f class they work

Used in fclass by almost every shooter that I’ve seen. I use them. They work very well for 22+ shots over a 15-20 min period

Your pic on the far right is how we use them.

Got mine from Sean Patty’s Mirage Shields. I shoot with the guy that sells them

Basically blinds with auto decals on them. Velcro to barrel

Seen some of my local benchresters use them. I run a small ran off a cell phone charging battery pack. Helps cool the barrel as well.

So you guys are actually letting these things touch the barrel? Just something about that concept hurts my brain.