• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone familure with the Amazonia/Saint Joseph/Kansas City MO Area?

E_T_G

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
A guy has almost 900 sales with a perfect record so I didn't think much about scams. There was one feedback that said sent money and never received gun just a week earlier. The feedback changed to as described but slow in shipping. Leaving feedback at two weeks was a little fast to me but they said he wouldn't answer phone or emails. I had sent him an offer 4 or 5 days earlier and hadn't heard from him. Finally I heard from him (same time feedback was changed), he apologized - said he had been ill. He is 77 so that didn't seem unusual. He accepted offer and said to Zelle payment to some woman that didn't have same name. The first women had gone by that name earlier (daughter I assumed). then said she wouldn't be back for a few days and gave me another name and email I asked a few questions because something didn't quite feel right. I asked him about a response that said FFL received and to send payment. My FFL was closed that day and the day before. Waited until next day and checked with my FFL - they never received request. I asked to talk to him to clear things up and about FFL. He got rather agitated saying he had never not completed a deal or had anyone question him. Said I had given him FFL information in earlier email and all he had to do was call them. His response wasn't out of line from an old fart that had all that positive feedback but he still wouldn't talk with me. Anyway, I got $1K transferred with Zelle and was blocked. he kept giving me other email addresses and names to try and they would all fail. I offered to get a cashiers check and drop it in priority - would have gotten there faster even if $1K a day did go through. No, he wanted to do it with Zelle. Finally today he gave me information for some other guy to do a bank transfer - name, address, account and routeing info. Again it was to someone else in a different town in Fredericksburg, VA??? All the phone numbers I could find for him had been disconnected. The number on FFL is quiet for a long time then a recording says Hatfield's leave a message. That message does sound like a 77 yr old man. He owned Hatfield's Hardware and Sporting Goods store but that closed years ago. FFL doesn't expire until 2025. Am I just being paranoid or does this sound scamish to others. I'm 70 so I do like to give people the benefit - especially when they have been doing business for over 20 yrs. with only positive feedback. Anyway, if anyone has any knowledge or opinions let me know. I've already sunk a thousand and don't want to throw away another $1600 if it is a scam.
Thanks,
Ed

I grew up 60 miles from St.Joe, lived in St. Joe for 12 years, KC area for 25...............There used to be a Hatfield's that was a great gun store, but they have been closed for close to 40 years, if not a little more........the type of store that had old military rifles in barrels......your choice for a little money...........used to hang out at a bar in St. Joe that was run by a great older woman that was part of the Hatfield family.......but that was around 94, 95........there was also a motorcycle shop that delt with old Harleys, and parts back in the 70', early 80's that had the Hatfield name.........I doubt any of the Hatfields that I knew are alive today...........

Last edited:
From feed back on Gunbroker and Guns America he has had 5 positive feed backs in June 23. I replied to sender on Guns America with an offer which he accepted. Now it has all the indications of a scam - only non-retractable payments Zelle or wire transfer but not to him - wire transfer to someone in Fredericksburg Virginia and Zelle's to various emails none of which associated with his name (as far as the people search sites report). The routing number is to First Citizens Bank & Trust Company in Raleigh, NC. I'm thinking of sending a letter to the P.O. Box on the FFL and asking if he is who I am dealing with or has someone hacked his email. Any Thoughts on that?

Glow biscuit??? Not sure what you mean by that. Back in 2012 I was actively shooting 50 cal, building AKs and HKs. Along came grandkids and that took priority. Now I'm retired, have the time, but the damn dem governor and legislators made almost all my 50 cal stuff illegal and banned all home made guns that are not serialized by a licensed manufacturer. That doesn't mean I haven't been lurking. Now, if your implying I'm an idiot for falling for the scam I'll totally agree with you. I just want to make that scum as miserable as I possibly can.

Knew a guy named Ted Hatfieid in about that age range whose family owned that store. He imported Spanish or Italian guns under the Hatfieid name.
Out of contact for 30 years now.
Not sure if you sent funds but you did seem to get plenty of warning beforehand. Heed the warnings.