• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone feel 0.2 Mil hashes offer advantage?

BFD711

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I personally like to have the 0.2 Mil graduations on the ends of the reticle to range with. I feel the small graduation allows for more accuracy in Mil ranging. A few reticles have this (USO Canadian, S&B P4/P4F, Luep. TMR), but it seems like the reticles I read the most about are the ones that do not have them such as Gen II Mil, Gen II XR. This issue has me excluding certain scopes from my next purchase consideration that I would otherwise strongly consider. Are the 0.2 Mil hashes something everyone would like to see in all reticles or do you feel Std. Mil dots or half-Mil hashes are adequate?

Re: Anyone feel 0.2 Mil hashes offer advantage?

I find them useful in scopes of high magnification (14X or more).

Probably the issue regarding widespread use is patents...

I don't like too many lines in my reticle, perhaps a line between 0.3 + 0.2 mils in the first 0.5 spacing would be great, or the 0.25 + 0.25 that the NSX MLR has (but the MLR is a bit fine). I also like thick solid lines, like the ones offered by S&B or PR Gen2.

I use a TMR and love it. I usually only use the 0.2 mil hashes for ranging and have noticed better results with my ability to range accurately. I don't use them at all for follow-up shot corrections, but the 0.5 mil marks are perfect for this application. I'm talking about shooting steel though where 0.2 mil corrections usually aren't needed, or at least don't need to be exact. I can get pretty close with an estimate using the 0.5 mil marks.

FYI, the GEN XR does have a .2 mil measurement. The small hashmarks are .2mil. Additionally, if you look at the hold off/over crosses, they are .2mil wide and .2mil tall. The larger hashmarks at the bottom of the reticle are .25mil.

If you've got 0.2mRad dots, instead of hashes, you don't need the 0.2 hashes nearly as much. With 0.2mRad dots and half-mil hash marks you can get 0.1mRad resolution on everything except the 0.3mRad and 0.7mRad sizes. Those two still require a little interpolation to subtend.

Yessir! And that's why I prefer the Gen II Mildot to any other reticle. The combination of low-light visibility and precision makes it my favorite reticle.

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful seeing another perspective.

I personally love the implementation on the S&B PM4F reticle. .2 mil hashes on the top vertical and right side are great for fine adjustment ranging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally love the implementation on the S&B PM4F reticle. .2 mil hashes on the top vertical and right side are great for fine adjustment ranging. </div></div>

Agreed. That was one of my main complaints of the Gen II XR.

I would also love the S&B a lot more if they would add a 0.5 Mil hash on at least the windage stadia of the center cross. Would eyeballing a P4F center cross in half put you at 0.4 Mil since I think the space between the cross and rest of stadia seems to be 0.2 Mil? I haven't got my hands on one yet so haven't been able to check subtension at the range and don't see it marked in any S&B reticle schematics.

i see no disadvantage to them. i have a USO canadian mil, and so far ive only used them to measure POI vs POA at the range to get dead center. it takes all of the guess work out of the equation.

The Gen II lets you think in tenths:

Full dot .2 Mil
Half dot .1 Mil
Half Mil hash mark to edge of dot .4 Mils
Half Mil hash mark to center of dot .5 Mils
Half Mil hash mark to back end of dor .6 Mils
Edge of one Mil dot to edge of the nest one .8 Mils
Edge of one Mil dot to the center of thext one .9 Mils

That's what makes using the dots easier than using a reticle that has only hash-marks.

The USO Mil MPR has .2 and .3 marks, and more elevation holdover than the Canadian.
I think its their best reticle:
f740ac47.jpg

Other than the points alredy made about the GenIIXR, I was really bummed that they haphazardly chose which mil lines to apply the windage/lead marks to. 3mils is pretty common 308 500yd dope, yet there was no horizontal demarcations on the 3 mil line.

Reactions: stanley_white

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's what makes using the dots easier than using a reticle that has only hash-marks. </div></div>

It may just be what my eyes like (yes I do wear glasses), but I find it easier to line up and hold a target with a line/hash versus a rounded edge of a Mil-dot. As was stated earlier, the Gen II leaves you guessing on a reading of 0.3 or 0.7 Mils. On my USO Canadian I put the bottom of the target on which ever full-Mil hash will leave the top of the target somewhere within the 0.2 Mil graduated area of the reticle. This to me is more condusive to thinking in tenths since no value is left out and with a bit of practice you may be able to drill this value down to .05 Mil. The 0.2 Mil hashes offer a uniform unit to add up versus center-dot to edge of next dot, edge-to-hash... It seems like using the Gen II might require math, and math is HARD
cry.gif
Maybe I think this way because I really wanted to try out a premier but am too lazy to learn a different method.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The USO Mil MPR has .2 and .3 marks, and more elevation holdover than the Canadian.
I think its their best reticle </div></div>

I almost ordered the MPR on mine but what attracted me to the Canadian is the uniformity of the 0.2 Mil hash area. Takes the math out of counting the reticle lines as you Mil a target. I do wish it had the larger holdover area like on the MPR. I would have to say all this makes the S&B P4F my favorite since it combines both. I just wish S&B would add the half mil hash off the center crosshair.

Agreed the rad dots serve the same purpose. guess its all what you get used to
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you've got 0.2mRad dots, instead of hashes, you don't need the 0.2 hashes nearly as much. With 0.2mRad dots and half-mil hash marks you can get 0.1mRad resolution on everything except the 0.3mRad and 0.7mRad sizes. Those two still require a little interpolation to subtend. </div></div>