• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Anyone from Oregon?

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I am looking around for possible places to move and want some input from anyone from Oregon.

How do you like it there?
Anywhere good to shoot?
How are the gun laws? Any trouble with Class 3 items?
How is the weather?
How is the Beer !?!
smile.gif

Is there a wait to buy a firearm or do you simply fill out the form, they make the call, and you are out the door?

I hear there is plenty of outdoor activities to get into.

Feel free to throw something in of you own input. I was looking into Texas but I don't know. Still shopping around some. Thanks!!

Larry

Re: Anyone from Oregon?

Born and raised in Oregon,
Lots of outdoor activities, Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Biking, Skiing Ect. If you look at moving to the valley, you are 1.5 hrs from the mountains and 1.5 from the beach.

Guns laws--Good..No waiting.
Class 3 if you can Pass the background.
Weather? In the valley rainy for 8 months. Eastside (Bend) high desert cold and sunny!
Summer very nice 80 degrees most the time.
Beer, you will not find as many Micro brews anyPlace eles in the country!

For the bad news. unemployment is very high..I think the 2nd highest in the country. Liberals i mean all the people that runied CA are moving up trying to ruin our state as well!

Willys

I am from a very small town in the desert in Oregon. No jobs, but for retired people it is great. 100 miles to Walmart, just the way I like it.
I can shoot just a short walk from the house, the town is building a range, the forest is huge.
The libtards are running the state, but they stay mostly in the I-5 corridor, and they can have it. I wouldn't live in Portland, Albany, Eugene, or Ashland or Medford on a bet.
The high desert is the best part of the state, no crowds, far less lefties, and plenty of BLM and NF. Bend is full of yuppies, who can be just as liberal as the hippies in the valley.
If you need a job, and don't have one waiting, better look elsewhere.
Almost no mills operating, so no log trucks or logging jobs, County and State highway jobs are sewn up by locals, and you can bet when someone dies, a local gets the job. LEO and Medical is always looking, lots of turnover, because the pay is rather poor.
Check the State web site for vital stats, like manpower, and jobs, and property taxes etc. Also county by county.
No state sales tax, some breaks on property tax, Hi license fees for RV, but moderate license fee for pickups and cars.
draw for rifle season tags and areas. Ocean fishing has been poor lately with modifications to the limits and rules lately.
3 bear tags per year (one regular east, 1 reg west, and 1 extra), and up to two cougar tags (1 regular, and 1 in certain areas or times, I forget which)
disabled vets get free license perm, and half price on elk tag. Archery elk and deer is 4 weeks long, in the east side, and an additional 2 weeks in the west side. Lots of ducks and geese.
Some land cheap, some land expensive. Scott Baio is selling his place near Bly for a few million.

Well for work I will be doing plumbing. Union Plumber. They said work is slow but I don't know how slow. Work is slow here but you cna get something with a little wait.

And as far as liberals ruining a place sounds right, people can't allow someone else to be happy so they ruin it.

The micro breweries I keep hearing you have alot of. That sounds exciting.

I will have to live around the Portland or Tualatin area because of work. Ideally I would rather live in the woods also.

I was starting to plan a trip to Texas but might end up going to Oregon and look around.

Larry

I'm headed up to the Klamath Falls area at the end of the month and would like to take my dad and brother shooing. Nothing too outrageous, maybe 4-500 yards. Does anyone have any recommendations for areas to shoot withing a 30min drive of Klamath Falls? Thanks in advance.

You can go to the Klamath County Sportsmans Park outside of Keno (about 20 minutes away from Klamath.) It's a couple of bucks to use the range but I think it only goes to 200. Been awhile since I've been there. Or, just go out in the woods east of town. East of the city is essentially the start of the desert part of Oregon and you should be able to find plenty of room to shoot. Just stay away from Ranches with cattle.

KeithR41

A plumber, especially a private guy who does homes, can always find work. We have three, two in town and one who comes from Klamath each day, and you STILL have to wait far too long to get service. Lots of re-plumbs, lots of older houses, and lots of freezing in winter. PM me if you want more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well for work I will be doing plumbing. Union Plumber. They said work is slow but I don't know how slow. Work is slow here but you cna get something with a little wait.

And as far as liberals ruining a place sounds right, people can't allow someone else to be happy so they ruin it.

I will have to live around the Portland or Tualatin area because of work. Ideally I would rather live in the woods also.

I was starting to plan a trip to Texas but might end up going to Oregon and look around.

Larry </div></div>

All of my friends working in trades right now are having real slow going. We did get Fed money, and it's put atleast 100 tradesman to work I can see from my office window on a daily basis working on transit and housing projects in the metro area of Portland.

I'd check out Clackamas if you want to be closer to the outdoors that's usually the direction I head to get away from the city lights.

The beer is world class there's no doubting that.

If you visit you're probably going to want to stay. Just be wary, this is really one of the worst places to try to find work in the country just slightly better than a major auto-city.

The worse part of that is is that demographically the town is both young and highly college educated in comparison to most other cities in the US, and the result is very fierce competition for jobs.

It's not uncommon that half the people working at the coffee shop up the street from your house have bachelors degrees.

Of course, as an engineering student I find their bachelors degrees in social sciences, literature and philosophy to be entirely invalid, but that's my personal campaign.

laugh.gif

Anyways, we've had so many move here anymore anyone's welcome.

If you're Californian you're still welcome but don't be surprised if we talk shit to you.

Another thing to consider as a plumber is the housing economy. It's considered that our real estate is lagging behind the rest of the country for several factors including the unemployment here, and that we've still got a significant valley to make our way through. So that's a negative factor towards finding steady work.

I'm sure you can figure it out though if you like the place enough. That's what everyone else does.

I just came back from a 5 day trip in Portland. It was awesome. I had a really good time and look forward to going back. I am pretty sure I will move there but I am going to wait a while to give the economy a chance to pick up. Its hard to leave a job that is paying pretty good for minimal experience to go somewhere that I don't even know if I can get a job.

I was impressed with the Portland area and how pretty its surrounding were. I spent two days in the pearl and I still wonder if I hit most of the the stuff I wanted to see.
I only traveled east and west and only just a little north into washington. Next time I will have to go south and maybe more east to see the deserts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just came back from a 5 day trip in Portland. It was awesome. I had a really good time and look forward to going back. I am pretty sure I will move there but I am going to wait a while to give the economy a chance to pick up. Its hard to leave a job that is paying pretty good for minimal experience to go somewhere that I don't even know if I can get a job.

I was impressed with the Portland area and how pretty its surrounding were. I spent two days in the pearl and I still wonder if I hit most of the the stuff I wanted to see.
I only traveled east and west and only just a little north into washington. Next time I will have to go south and maybe more east to see the deserts. </div></div>

Well shoot, if I'd have known you were visiting I would've showed you around a little atleast.

Let me know if you do decide to come back we can burn some lead or evaporate some hoppy beverages. If you'd have traveled an hour north into central Washington it would've been a deal sealer. Some of the most beautiful country in the world far as I'm concerned. Lewis river and St Helens wilderness is a place I'm quite pleased to spend my free time in anytime I have the chance.

I plan to go again and was thinking winter time, but I will have to wait and see. The cost of the trip there wasn't that bad but it does add up. I know I want to go down south a long ways to at least the crater lakes area. I also think I would like to go to Seattle since I am so close. I wouldn't mind meeting anyone and drinking some beers, maybe talk about the area a while. I may go whenever the seasons are starting to change like fall just to see what it looks like then.

I have to get a new camera this time because my point and shoot just didn't capture the beauty like I had hoped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well for work I will be doing plumbing. Union Plumber. They said work is slow but I don't know how slow. Work is slow here but you cna get something with a little wait.

Larry </div></div>

There is not a whole lot of work out there but it is out there if you are willing to do the dirty jobs. I work for a pump/irrigation/plumbing company about 15 minutes from Tualiton and most our customers are makin it. Struggling at times but the guys who are willing to take the small odd jobs are doin fine. It is getting better as we knew it would. We've seen things get consistantly better over the last couple months and there is more and more building starting up.

Tualiton/Portland is ok but you're a little too close to the west side which is turning into kalifornia more and more every day. Not nearly as bad as other areas but too much for my taste. I live in rural south Clackamas county, about 40 miles from Tualiton, and I love it in the country. Takes me just under an hour to get to downtown Portland, 2 hours to the beach, just over an hour to mt. hood, and I have BLM land in my backyard.

Sherwood has one of the best gun clubs around here. Its just a few minutes out of Tualiton. Tri County Gun Club. I spend a lot of time there, 300 yard range is open almost all the time. Only time it really closes is when they open the 600 yard range for the night. Almost 4000 members strong and 99% of them are cool people. Every time I go I meet more good people.

Central/Eastern is really nice if you can find a job out there. I love the fact that it is only a couple hours away and makes a great escape all year round. Spent the weekend camping in Madras a couple weeks ago shooting all weekend.

And the Oregon rain isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It doesn't rain all the time like people think but you are pretty guarenteed to get some rain everyday durring the fall/winter. Summers are great, pretty mild, usually in the 80's or so. We are in a heat streak right now, triple digits the last few days, but we are going back to the 80's soon.

You adapt to the rain pretty quick. It seperates the kalifornians from the Oregonians so I like it.

When is a good time to come during the fall or winter months? I want to go back sometime during those months to see what its like and to catch some of the things I missed.

Also how far is the Crater Lakes area from portland? I would love to see that.

I met some Oregonians here in alabama that came here for the guys work and they were telling me about the rain and it didn't sound bad to me. Heck it can rain here pretty hard and not be a dark cloud in the sky. Southern weather is some of the weirdest weather you will experience.

I want to go back after I get a better camera. It is a very beautiful place and photogenic. I have decided I want to move there one day but right now isn't the best time so I will wait and probably do some more travels in the mean time.

Oh yea I didn't get to much into the "country" parts I don't think. I did drive through a city that made me think of here though which is country. Maybe I can catch some places on my next trip.

There really isn't a bad time in the winter. In Portland we rarely see snow and if we do its usually just a couple inches and lasts a couple days at the most. Its enough to freak everyone out and pretty much shut the city down but its not bad. What we do see a bit of that catches people off guard in the winter is black ice in the mornings. The roads will get moist and when it freezes it just looks wet but is slicker than shit. As long as you pay attention to the temp and don't drive like an idiot its not an issue. I've been driving around since I was 16 and I've never had an ice incident.

We did get a bit of a snow storm this past december/january that lasted almost a week and dipped into the teens. Just over a foot of snow than stuck around for a while. I was loving it in my lifted Jeep but pretty much shut down everything in town.

If I had to pick one month to visit I would try like Octoberish when fall hits and all the fall colors are out. There are parts of town that are breath taking. Plus you still get some decent weather, little rain, and it doesn't quite get below freezing at nights yet.

If you want to do any scenic photography there are so many places to check out. The scenery in the valley is what got me into photography originally. A very few of my pics are on my site, I need to update. www.jacobcarroll.com

I will keep october in mind. I bet there is some kind of beer fest then also? Like an Oktoberfest. I have heard The winters there are pretty mild and they sound kinda like ours really except we still have the humidity.

I am new to photography so lots to learn. I will be getting a D300 asap. I want it because there is no auto knob so I will have to learn the camera in order to take good pics. I have some books I have been reading. I hope now that the new D300S was just announced I can find a good price on a used D300 with low shutter actuations.