• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone getting bad .22 ammo over the last year?

StormHorny

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2013
Elizabeth, CO
I was out last weekend and was shooting my Ruger 10/22 and had a LOT of dud's. I was shooting Blazers and Winchester's. Nearly 50% or more were duds....so much to the point where I was beginning to think the firing pin wasn't striking them properly, but after inspecting the casings there were strike marks on them. Just wondering if anyone else has had that problem lately? The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the powder was temperature sensitive since it was in the high 30's, but still.....the high 30's??

Last edited:
Just because there is strike marks, doesnt mean to rule out the pin, just my opinion though.

Ive shot several boxes of those brands, and Federal Auto Match, all bought within the last year, and no problems from my MP15-22.

Light strikes will still show marks but will cause misfires. Can you take a clear pic of the back of the case that misfired and post it?

I'll try to get a pic up here in a few. I hope it's not a firing pin issue.....the rifle only has about 300-400 rounds through it over the last year. Last time I shot it was last summer and it worked fine, that's why I thought maybe bad ammo. I'm the only one to ever shoot or even handle it for that matter so I know it hasn't been dry fired. Thanks for the responses!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking you guys are right now after looking at them a little closer......here are a couple that have strike marks next to a fired case and the 2 on the right barely have any mark in them at all. The fired cases strike is definitely deeper than the misfired ones. Any ideas as to how some of the shots went off without a hitch and some of them looked like this?
yru9ymy5.jpg

First, and you have probably already done it, is to clean the firing pin, spring and the hole, channel or what ever you wish to call the tube it travels through inside the bolt as well as the bolt guides to make sure the bolt isn't being held slightly open by a bit of gunk. Then make sure the pin hasn't been broken or worn down. This combination will probably take care of it

If it still happens check your headspace, yours may be excessive, very excessive judging from the photo. I usually set mine to about .042 to .044 for rifles that aren't truck guns, .047 plus for those that are.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Last edited:
Trust me, with all things that could go wrong, a simple firing pin fix is not a big one. I am a bit of a hoarder anyway, but you wouldn't believe how much spare AK47 parts I keep so that in case ANY thing goes wrong, I always have a spare. Mainly because small things are so cheap to stock up for replacement.

Like Smith said, check the headspace, clean the pin housing, etc., go back and test fire. You might just need a little maintenance.

Thank you all for the input. I'll definitely check out your suggestions and see how it goes from there.

Blazers and Winchesters, both are dirty rounds,
especially in a blowback operated semi-auto.
My Marlin 60, Savage 64, 10/22 actions all are quickly fouled
when using those brands of bulk ammunition. Always can tell
when it's time for a thorough cleaning: fail to fire, fail to extract.
Thorough cleaning means complete disassembly of the action
to remove all gsr and lead particulates that accumulate in the
small spaces of the bolt and grooves/corners of the receiver.
After cleaning and reassembly, all function like new.

I shot 40 rounds of Federal Automatch yesterday, and did have two ftf, but I reloaded them in the Marlin 925 magazine and they went off just fine. Not saying this is the way it should be - because it shouldn't. As far as reading posts about this ammo at times being under powered, I didn't experience any of that with these 40 shots. However, 40 shots is hardly any amount to really draw any conclusions. With this said, it would not surprise me that quality control has dipped in the rim fire manufacturing arena from the high demand we face today for this ammo.

it would not surprise me that quality control has dipped in the rim fire manufacturing arena from the high demand we face today for this ammo.

That's kind of what I was thinking at first, but I'm going to give it a good cleaning and see how that works next time I take it out......hopefully this coming weekend.

It is never bad to clean your rifle. Usually the solution to the problem is the simplest possible thing. i.e. My daughter calls and says, "My car won't crank over", I say did you check the battery terminals? That was the problem.

I bought two boxes of Winchester T22 match rifle ammo last October. They shot terrible printing 1" plus groups at 50yds in a rifle that usually shoots 0.300" or so. And I had multiple misfires and one case stuck in the chamber. After shooting about 20rds, I stopped and set it aside. Either it was poor manufacturing or the ammo had been poorly stored. It was clean, and bright. No signs of water or wear and tear. I do not know their lot codes to determine how old it is, but I have ammo that is 20yrs old that shoots fine. My guess is that it was stored in a outdoor storage space and exposed to excessive heat over time. That is hard on ammo. But, IMHO Winchester also seems to have more quality control problems than most ammo suppliers.

Go ahead and clean the gun but if that does not fix it, try some good ammo that you know works well in other guns. If that does not solve the problem start looking at the firing pin, etc. No, on second thought I would switch ammo first.

Irish

Good quality ammo stored properly(cool dry place) should be just fine. I have recently fired ammo with a price tag of .96 for 50. Probably from the 70s and with no problems at all.

Well the panic has caused the quality of 22 ammo to decline recently.
Having said that, I have had this issue with my 10/22 for years. Best option is to take it apart, clean around the firing pin and block, and use a dry lube to keep it slick.
While you're in there, check for burrs around the pin and extractor.

Clean it and grab a box of high quality stuff OR a different semi auto 22 and see how it runs.