• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone getting velocity numbers like this guy in a 25 Creed

whatsupdoc

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 12, 2017
    I stumble onto this video where this guy using 135 Bergers and Reloder 17 supposedly running at 3080 FPS
    Right at 2:00 into the vid they start getting crono numbers and the velocity numbers seem to be insanely high.

Real or BS?

No idea. On another thread a guy is running 130’s out of a 6.5x47 at 3k and he claims no pressure. Those types of numbers worry me so I just don’t go there.

I've watched a number of his vids, and by all acounts consider him credible. He builds his own rifles and takes good data, so I believe the above. RL17 has always been known to give great velocity, just temp sensitive.

My buddy (accomplished PRS shooter) has probably shot more 25 Creed than anyone, and used to (may still) push over 3000 fps with RL16. I used to do the same with mine, but slowed it down. This was with BJ 131's.

Last edited:
    Dont have RL16 but have a bunch of RL17, so guess now I am going to test RL17.

I mean if I still have that pound of 17 I’ll give it a try but absolutely not a chance my rl16 or 4350 is even remotely close. I’m 2890 and have pressure around 2920

I've watched a number of his vids, and by all acounts consider him credible. He builds his own rifles and takes good data, so I believe the above. RL17 has always been known to give great velocity, just temp sensitive.

My buddy Keith Rudasill (accomplished PRS shooter) has probably shot more 25 Creed than anyone, and used to (may still) push over 3000 fps with RL16. I used to do the same with mine, but slowed it down. This was with BJ 131's.
    Not sure, but isn't this the guy who was such a PIA to the Vudoo guy?

Early on I ran the 131's at 3050 using H4350 but found that load hard on brass so I've now backed down to 2,950.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
    Out of a 26" barrel with 41.8 H4350 I get 2865 FPS with the 135's so when I watched the numbers
    this guy was posting I as surprised. Guess I am slow.

let me tell all y’all a little allegory about ultra fast velocity In your target rifles.

in 1967, Ford Motor Company introduced a revolutionary Sports Racing Prototype. The Mark V. Lots of folks confuse this particular vehicle with the GT40. The Mark IV is a completely different vehicle, using composite, honeycomb construction. (The GT40 was a more conventionally constructed vehicle).

Several were entered in the 1967 Le Man’s race. One team, with drivers Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt were given little to no chance of winning. However, Dan and AJ got together and decided not to push the car, take it easy. The rest is history. Dan and AJ’s Mark IV was the only Mark IV that finished and They Won!

Point, we can push velocities of our rifles well past the intended design points of the cartridges. Due to the really fine steels and even the quality of brass, we probably can get away with these velocities for a while. We may not see overt pressure signs. But I can assure you, our rifles can see the pressure signs. Just ask any owner of a Smith & Wesson, Model 29 of the 1970’s who participated in IHMSA. Stretched frames, spitting lead and generally a bunch of really nice handguns ruined by pushing limits that did not have to be pushed.

Got a scope with elevation knobs? Got a wind/speed/weather data instrument with a built in ballistic application built in? Got some decent data on the actual velocity of your bullet as it leaves your rifle? Believe me. No one who is serous about Precision Rifles, needs to push velocities. The point is to win, by hitting the most targets, not to see who’s bullet can get to the target the fastest. Dan and AJ got to the end the quickest, by not being the fastest.

Your rifle and your wallet will thank you.

No clue, but I think it’s irrelevant to topic at hand.

I stumble onto this video where this guy using 135 Bergers and Reloder 17 supposedly running at 3080 FPS
    Right at 2:00 into the vid they start getting crono numbers and the velocity numbers seem to be insanely high.

Real or BS?

With RL17, yeah, I believe it. I was running 120s at 3050 in a 6.5 Creed with it. It got sketchy as fuck when it got past 80 degrees outside, and the barrel only lasted about 1700 rounds, so....
    All that speed comes with too high a price tag for me.

What do you mean?
    Not sure how much research I care to do, but wasn't the guy in the above video somehow in this mix? You were in that thread.
    capture1.png

I’d take the dirt to another thread.

25 Creed question asked. R17 and 25 Creed experience relayed.

Research R17 and it has over a decade of data with high velocity performance but temp sensitive caveats.

That guy shoots enough to understand pressure and safety in my opinion.

• Haha
    Reactions: Milo 2.5
    let me tell all y’all a little allegory about ultra fast velocity In your target rifles.

in 1967, Ford Motor Company introduced a revolutionary Sports Racing Prototype. The Mark V. Lots of folks confuse this particular vehicle with the GT40. The Mark IV is a completely different vehicle, using composite, honeycomb construction. (The GT40 was a more conventionally constructed vehicle).

Several were entered in the 1967 Le Man’s race. One team, with drivers Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt were given little to no chance of winning. However, Dan and AJ got together and decided not to push the car, take it easy. The rest is history. Dan and AJ’s Mark IV was the only Mark IV that finished and They Won!

Point, we can push velocities of our rifles well past the intended design points of the cartridges. Due to the really fine steels and even the quality of brass, we probably can get away with these velocities for a while. We may not see overt pressure signs. But I can assure you, our rifles can see the pressure signs. Just ask any owner of a Smith & Wesson, Model 29 of the 1970’s who participated in IHMSA. Stretched frames, spitting lead and generally a bunch of really nice handguns ruined by pushing limits that did not have to be pushed.

Got a scope with elevation knobs? Got a wind/speed/weather data instrument with a built in ballistic application built in? Got some decent data on the actual velocity of your bullet as it leaves your rifle? Believe me. No one who is serous about Precision Rifles, needs to push velocities. The point is to win, by hitting the most targets, not to see who’s bullet can get to the target the fastest. Dan and AJ got to the end the quickest, by not being the fastest.

Your rifle and your wallet will thank you.

Speed doesn't make as much difference as we like to think. At some point, we've all chased speed, myself included. What's more important is having a load that's consistent and won't cause pressure issues in adverse conditions.

This past weekend I shot a PRS match with some friends. I'm shooting a 6BRA with 105's, my friend shooting a 6BR also with 105's. I was shooting ~150 fps faster than him (I'm shooting a moderate load, he's shooting a really conservative load). We dial for elevation, so that difference is moot. For wind calls, I had to hold a tenth less, but that's about it.

Velocity doesn't make the difference we like to think it does, and if you push it too much you can certainly have issues. Develop a consistent and moderate load - you get pretty much all the performance with none of the hassles.

Well said. A guy really needs to use their wind call error to compare wind drift in cartridges. There needs to be a significant boost in speed and/or BC to grab a significant advantage.

Speed doesn't make as much difference as we like to think. At some point, we've all chased speed, myself included. What's more important is having a load that's consistent and won't cause pressure issues in adverse conditions.

This past weekend I shot a PRS match with some friends. I'm shooting a 6BRA with 105's, my friend shooting a 6BR also with 105's. I was shooting ~150 fps faster than him (I'm shooting a moderate load, he's shooting a really conservative load). We dial for elevation, so that difference is moot. For wind calls, I had to hold a tenth less, but that's about it.

Velocity doesn't make the difference we like to think it does, and if you push it too much you can certainly have issues. Develop a consistent and moderate load - you get pretty much all the performance with none of the hassles.
    Well put! The other thing you can distinguish is recoil pulse on a rifle! When you start pushing a rifle beyond its standards you can feel the way a rifles recoil impulse changes and you can sometimes lose the benefits of lighter recoil for spotting shots for minuscule amount of increase. I actually noticed this change the most on my 25 creed hence why I backed off to 2890 from 2930. Easier on brass, the rifle rides significantly nicer and the difference in 40fps is nothing.

My bra wasn’t as much of a difference but at 2880 it so beautiful to shoot compared to the 2950 node. I have a new br coming as well which I’m pretty excited to compare it too

Reactions: kthomas
    Threw a small sample of RL17 with 135 Bergers together today and got numbers without
    any issues. I guess if you really push it and have a fast barrel with a reamer matched to the bullet
    his numbers are possible, if you like living on the edge.

I going to play with 41.6 to 41.9 charge weights as the ES were very good and the 41.6 charge produced
    a 3shot .169 group and the 41.9 charge was looking tight and I pulled the third shot.

41.0 2871 FPS
    41.3 2887 FPS
    41.6 2915 FPS
    41.9 2937 FPS
    42.2 2950 FPS
    42.4 2970 FPS