• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone had picky loads with Suppressors?

Turk10mm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Houston, Tx
I was trying to develop a load for 100% suppressor use since hunting in Texas now permits using a suppressor. I'm using Berger 175HVLD, 44.7gr Varget, Lapua Brass .005 jammed, CCI BR2, 20" barrel, YHM suppressor, 2690fps. My last two loads, 168 SMK and Berger 185's didn't seem to be impacted by the suppressor all that much, but the load was worked up rifle only.

My new load shoots 3MOA high at 200 yard zero and opens from sub 1" groups to well over an inch. My previous loads never opened up like that and the POI was always much closer.

to clarify, I worked the load up with the suppressor, wasn't happy with my tightest load and removed the suppressor. No suppressor was shooting 3moa below the suppressed POI and was half the group size.

Re: Anyone had picky loads with Suppressors?

all my hunting rifles are suppressed and all have a lower P O A with them fitted due to the reduced mussel flip, what i did find was that factory threading jobs on both barrel and supressor was poor, on one rem 700 i couldnt get a decent group with any supressor i fitted, ileft it with a local rifle builder who rethreaded it with a tight metric thread and gave me one of his own hand made suppressors to try , what a difference even lower POA and tiny groups, ive since had 2 cz s done with simiar results . it sounds like you may have a similar problem with the suppressor baffles not perfectly in line with bore with the some loads due to bullet size, velocity- exagerating the problem. your 308 sounds like a real shooter - sub 1" @ 200 i would try a different suppressor , one more point is that the supp will heat up a lot faster than the barrel and ive found that when used for high volume shooting on the range groups will definatly open up, which usually isnt a problem in a hunting situation.

Re: Anyone had picky loads with Suppressors?

thanks for the input. the gun shoots. It was threaded by a reputable smith for me and i've never had a problem that i noticed previously.

this weekend i'll shoot a cold bore without and then run a few with the suppressor before it gets hot and compare POI.