• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone had shoulder surgery?

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    This would be full replacement, not rotator cuff. Looks like I'm facing it before long. I'm good about this stuff, will do all the PT, so questions.

-How was the pain level?...say compare to a hip which wasnt too bad?

-Recovery time? How long to drive?

-How about impact from recoil? Judging from my hip, if you do your PT, once its all healed you should be able to return. I'll like not go higher caliber than a 300PRC/WinMag

Had an open bankart repair and capsular shift in 2002 for severe instability and multiple dislocations. Surgeon had to go with the “open” option due to the amount of damage. I took about 10 ish months to recover. I don’t say fully recover because I never have. I have had pain and issues for the last 21 years and change, including a few dislocations since. Last MRI showed a couple bone chips floating around in there as well. I won’t be doing another shoulder surgery unless it becomes an absolute necessity.

Pain was fairly severe, rehab was painful and long.

What he said. I've prolapsed discs, broken 3/4 of my limbs, a handful of ribs, lost an eye to a piece of rebar and on and on (not all at the same time) and shoulder surgery was the worst. There just isn't any way of getting comfortable till it heals, so you're just going to have to deal with it.

My partner is a Dr, and she managed to get me sleeping with hypnosis. I was PRETTY SCEPTICAL (huuuuge understatement), but it worked for me.

On the other hand, it all works now so I'm glad I did it.

Harder than a hip just a PITA doing shit one armed and sleeping sitting up. Three months but mine was arthroscopic, recovered 90%
    But I was 60 something so age might make a difference. Good luck.

Had both shoulders operated on. The left was minor relatively speaking. The right one on the other hand was very major. I have a giant 6 inch scar as a reminder.

I'm not trying to sugar coat it. It was easily one of the most painful things I've ever had happen.

Again, mine was very severe from a sports related accident. In my case I still remember very clearly the first time I was able to put my right hand on my head. I wasn't able to do that for at least a year.

Not sure what the nature of the injury is but now they have a lot more stuff that can be done.

The PT part is probably going to make it or break it so whatever you do, do exactly what they say. Don't get out ahead of the process---at all.

It's difficult to be specific about your case when I don't know all the details, but in my case it was a traumatic injury which probably made it way worse than a run of the mill surgery.

As others have stated, it's going to suck. It will depend though on what is all done and how they do it.

My advice is start shopping now for a series of 'speciality pillows' and if you don't already have one, a big soft reclining chair. You will not be in the mood to do any of that after the surgery so you definitely need to plan ahead.

As others have stated, it's going to suck. It will depend though on what is all done and how they do it.

My advice is start shopping now for a series of 'speciality pillows' and if you don't already have one, a big soft reclining chair. You will not be in the mood to do any of that after the surgery so you definitely need to plan ahead.
    I'm hoping mine might be on the easier side. Its just worn down form years of bucking chainsaws and lifting heavy objects repeatedly (Stonemason) Got some arthritis and bone spurs.

I'm 73 but in over all excellent physical health, mental??? 🙃

Steroid injectios help the arth but the damn bone spurs popping are a bitch. I'm wondering if there might be a way to use some sonic thing to dissolve the calcium spurs, I could live with the arthritis.

If not, theres not much point in putting it off, it wont get better.

I'm hoping mine might be on the easier side. Its just worn down form years of bucking chainsaws and lifting heavy objects repeatedly (Stonemason) Got some arthritis and bone spurs.

Steroid injectios help the arth but the damn bone spurs popping are a bitch. I'm wondering if there might be a way to use some sonic thing to dissolve the calcium spurs, I could live with the arthritis.

For a surgery like this it's substantially easier. They probably can do the whole thing arthroscopically.

On my left side I had an arthroscopic surgery and it was 100x better than the other one. Recovery time was also substantially less.

Still though, don't be bold and try to get ahead of the healing process regardless of what type of surgery it is. In a case of arthroscopic surgery you could potentially be relatively back to normal in about two months or so.

The first couple of weeks are not going to be pleasant but it's not unbearable. Still look into the pillows. Even if you use them for a few weeks you will be glad you have them when you don't sleep for a few days.

Reactions: Maggot
    As a contrast my right shoulder got seriously wrecked in a bad water skiing accident. When I was a teenager I was practicing to go to the national championships in barefooting.

I was doing a trick where you turn from the front to the back when I fell. My right arm was twisted over my head and down to my waist, but in the wrong direction.

Imagine having a pair of handcuffs on in the back and then pulling your arms over your head backwards until they are all the way in front by your hips.

My right arm did that at 42mph.

Honestly I don't know what was worse, the crash or the surgery. They are both high on my list of things I don't want to do again.

Relatively speaking your surgery will be easy. It will not be pleasant but it will probably be around 4 or 5 out of 10 on the suck scale.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    This would be full replacement, not rotator cuff. Looks like I'm facing it before long. I'm good about this stuff, will do all the PT, so questions.

-How was the pain level?...say compare to a hip which wasnt too bad?

-Recovery time? How long to drive?

-How about impact from recoil? Judging from my hip, if you do your PT, once its all healed you should be able to return. I'll like not go higher caliber than a 300PRC/WinMag
    My friend had one. Got the bionic done. When he woke up, couldn’t move it. Doc said. Got to use voice command. So he said. Arm , scratch my back! And it did! He had been all depressed cause his arm wouldn’t allow him to work. So when he went home, he dressed himself. Telling his arm what to do of course. He was fixing to head out job hunting and he had to take a piss! So he said Arm, pull it out. And it did. When finished , he said arm, shake it off, and it did! Then he said. Hmmm. Arm whack it couple times. And it did. He said arm, whack it some more! Just as he was about to blow a load, he said arm, pull it off!! And it pulled his dick clean off!! He said fuuuck! Then his arm went to pounding his asshole! Then he said, would you look at this shit! Then the arm immediately put his dick in front of his eyeballs! Funny story! But not true 😂😂

It's a litte unorthadox, but get started with a TRT clinic, if you aren't already. Find one that will prescribe Anavar and HGH with your testosterone. The Anavar will keep the muscle atrophy at bay and help with the healing. The HGH will be a big boost for healing. The test will aid in overall wellbeing. All 3 together will turn the clock back by decades.

Nasty rotator cuff tear surgery 2 years ago, knee surgery this summer and having the other shoulder labrum cleaned up with biceps tenodesis in 2 weeks. Recovery protocol is the same each time.

Better living through modern chemistry. You got this man. Easy day.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot and Bradu
    I had what I would consider minor shoulder surgery and it sucked. I had subacromial decompression after fighting impingement/bursitis off and on for 2 years back in June. He also shaved the front of the shoulder off where the tendon was rubbing and was frayed. The PT was painful the first few weeks, but got better every week. I still don't have full strength back and have problems with pushing things. I started lifting weights to help but any chest and shoulder exercises bothers it. I'm hoping that it continues to get better as long as I keep doing therapy exercises at home and strengthening my upper body. I'm shooting 6 and 6.5 calibers now with no issues.

Good luck, hope everything goes well.

Last edited:
    Get a Breg ice therapy machine ahead of time… swapping ice packs you’ll struggle to keep up with the pain and swelling. This one, you put I think 8 frozen bottles of water in it and just keep switching them out, last approximately 6 hours a rotation. Had 2 surgeries on my right shoulder without it, one on my left with it, and the recovery and pain was definitely better with it. They also sent me home with a nerve block in my neck as well, that was nice. Hardest thing is not trying to do more than you should with it While recovering. Good luck with the surgery and don’t rush it no matter how frustrating it is. 3 total surgeries on my shoulders within the last 8 years and they’re still messed up. Oh and get the larger shoulder pad.

Reactions: Zugzug and Maggot

Yeah, do it now while you can recover and still enjoy stuff like shooting bing bang things. It might be tough for some months but hopefully by next summer, you will be enjoying the workings of a 6.5 CM. And no, I do not expect you to grow a manbun. Although, if you get a soft enough recoil pad, you could deal with a 7 mm PRC if you still want some long range ability.

That's why, this year, I followed my dentist's advice and had full removal of my remaining teeth and complete dentures. I am tall, uncommonly strong, no prostate cancer. I smoked cigarettes from May 25, 1982 to Jan 28, 2018. No lung cancer. Had a colonoscopy a year ago. No colon cancer.

I drew the short straw on teeth. I have had problems all of my life. I had a root canal done when I was 9 years old, for goodness sake.

So, I did it this year while I am still (younger than you) and have a job to pay off my new teeth because they don't take insurance for these.

Anyway, good luck and God bless you.

Get a Breg ice therapy machine ahead of time… swapping ice packs you’ll struggle to keep up with the pain and swelling. This one, you put I think 8 frozen bottles of water in it and just keep switching them out, last approximately 6 hours a rotation. Had 2 surgeries on my right shoulder without it, one on my left with it, and the recovery and pain was definitely better with it. They also sent me home with a nerve block in my neck as well, that was nice. Hardest thing is not trying to do more than you should with it While recovering. Good luck with the surgery and don’t rush it no matter how frustrating it is. 3 total surgeries on my shoulders within the last 8 years and they’re still messed up. Oh and get the larger shoulder pad.

Yeah, I had a femoral block on the hip. I'm thinking, "This isnt so bad." Then the block wore off. 😩

Yeah, do it now while you can recover and still enjoy stuff like shooting bing bang things. It might be tough for some months but hopefully by next summer, you will be enjoying the workings of a 6.5 CM. And no, I do not expect you to grow a manbun. Although, if you get a soft enough recoil pad, you could deal with a 7 mm PRC if you still want some long range ability.

That's why, this year, I followed my dentist's advice and had full removal of my remaining teeth and complete dentures. I am tall, uncommonly strong, no prostate cancer. I smoked cigarettes from May 25, 1982 to Jan 28, 2018. No lung cancer. Had a colonoscopy a year ago. No colon cancer.

I drew the short straw on teeth. I have had problems all of my life. I had a root canal done when I was 9 years old, for goodness sake.

So, I did it this year while I am still (younger than you) and have a job to pay off my new teeth because they don't take insurance for these.

Anyway, good luck and God bless you.
    Was it a short straw or older females like mom saying..."Aw go ahead, have another 26oz Pepsi. Want some chocolate cake? Brown Sugar Pie? Fudge? Thats how they justify their existence and maintain control. White Sugar.

• Haha
    Reactions: Ronws
    Left labrum arthroscopic repair, with bicep relocation.

I'm 3 months into recovery. Can do a lot again, but lack stability and range of motion I once had. Slow process is what I'm told, and that 6 months isn't out of the question. Doesn't help it was my dominant arm.

Nerve blocker is fucking weird. Full stop. Sucks more when it wears off though. PT and proper stretching is key.

Get you a good comfortable recliner.
    Ice Ice Ice in bags with rubbing alcohol so they dont freeze solid.

You don't want to try sleeping laying down.

I had bone spurs,bicep tear and small rotator tear.
    You won't be doing anything much with that arm for quite awhile.
    Close to a year to be back to mostly normal . Good luck....

2017 had my right shoulder done twice. Rotator cuff, labrum, biceps tendon and had them whittle a bit off of my clavicle due to chronic arthritis in the AC joint. The "second time" was because my 1 year old decided to bail from my good arm, and I instinctively caught her with the bad one about three weeks after surgery. I was still in the Corps at the time, but they sent me to a civilian surgeon who was damn good. Pain was high (have had spinal surgery and two hernia repairs too for comparison). My 90% recovery time was approximately 4 months.

2022 I had my left shoulder done by a VA surgeon. Exact same four parts worked on. Initial pain wasn't as bad surprisingly, but the shit never healed right despite my actually following a good post op protocol. I figure that at least one tendon healed into a different location as it still pops from use and gets aggravated. My 90% recovery time was approximately 12 months. Six months post surgery I was still in more discomfort than before the operation.

Son had it done a little while ago. Not sure of what went kaboom, the way I understand it with out it getting fixed his arm would just fall out of joint whenever.

He lived to pump iron. Tried to tell him, every human body is different, and if your 6'4"250lb friend can do 400lbs, it does not mean your 5'3" 180lb body can do it.....but what do I know.

As he is only 26 they sent him to the same guys that do sports guys. He is basically down for 6 months. He can now use his arm from the elbow down, but NO lifting of ANYTHING.

Two itty bitty holes in his shoulder, about half the size of a pen.

I had a right shoulder repair, torn labrum and rotator cuff. Like others my shoulder surgery was the most painful thing I've ver been through. The repair hurt way more than the injury. And for reference, I've had my left ear operated on several times. For some reason, the shoulder sucks to work on. There are a lot of nerves that go through it I guess.

Nothing that severe. But 2009, slap tear of the labrum with bankarts lesion, chipped bone, bone bruising, fragments, etc. Tear was worse than they thought once they got in there, full 180deg tear. They put in four anchors, cleaned up the end of the ball and the socket, fished out what fragments they could find. Was immobilized for 30 days other than assisted movements, then started PT. I flushed the pain meds after three days because I hated the side effects more than the pain. Pain was there, but not unbearable. First two weeks of PT sucked having to tear everything loose to get ROM back. Spent two years lifting weights to get my full strength back. But, I got about 95% of what I had back, so it was well worth it. I wouldn't even sit in my recliner for a year after, as I grew to hate it from sleeping in it for three months. Took me 10 weeks to get fully released at 34yo.

Listen carefully to everything they tell you, and when you get to PT you WILL have to push harder than you probably think. I did the second week, because I was behind. Find a GOOD PT source, and not just any ole PT place. I did it at the local college that takes care of their athletes as at the time I was running, cycling, and moto. Very happy with what they did for me, and can't say enough for them. Also, a 95lb woman will be able to take a pinky and put you in the floor in pain. LOL

Good luck, and I'll keep you in my prayers, you got this!!

eg226Ea.jpg

Reactions: AMGtuned
    I had the biceps tenodesis done. I agree to get the Breg Polar Care Wave it is a life saver. Invest in a sleep system to sleep reclined or plan on little to no sleep for a month or so. Slow down and stay with the program on the PT or you will get to start from scratch again.

I had what I would consider minor shoulder surgery and it sucked. I had subacromial decompression after fighting impingement/bursitis off and on for 2 years back in June. He also shaved the front of the shoulder off where the tendon was rubbing and was frayed. The PT was painful the first few weeks, but got better every week. I still don't have full strength back and have problems with pushing things. I started lifting weights to help but any chest and shoulder exercises bothers it. I'm hoping that it continues to get better as long as I keep doing therapy exercises at home and strengthening my upper body. I'm shooting 6 and 6.5 calibers now with no issues.

Good luck, hope everything goes well.
    Have you tried static hanging? I had a impingement in my right shoulder. Got surgery, They shortened my collar bone a bit. Told to go back to my normal life. I did request some PT to help things along. Did a few weeks of PT.
    But still felt like I had the impingement. Came across some PT guys on youtube and they talked about static hanging to recovery from a variety of shoulder issues. I tried it and it worked . I started gaining range of motion and the pain slowly faded away. I developed a impingement in my other shoulder and fixed it with hanging.
    Now I do a few different shoulder exercises for strength and range of motion. I still hang a few times a week.

Reactions: gigamortis
    a lady friend of mine has had both shoulders replaced, she has a bone deterioration disorder, she had one of them done 2 or 3 times, the last time they put it in backwards or something like that to find a stable bone to attach it to. She has an addiction problem so can't take pain meds. She said it wasn't as bad as rotator cuff repair. I have had cuff repair on both shoulders and agree it was horrible.

Ice machine will be your friend and ally.

Have you tried static hanging? I had a impingement in my right shoulder. Got surgery, They shortened my collar bone a bit. Told to go back to my normal life. I did request some PT to help things along. Did a few weeks of PT.
    But still felt like I had the impingement. Came across some PT guys on youtube and they talked about static hanging to recovery from a variety of shoulder issues. I tried it and it worked . I started gaining range of motion and the pain slowly faded away. I developed a impingement in my other shoulder and fixed it with hanging.
    Now I do a few different shoulder exercises for strength and range of motion. I still hang a few times a week.

Thank you for this, I just did the stretch ones once and can feel the difference. I'm going to make this a regular routine for a bit before adding hanging.

Here's a thought that just occurred to me.

Years ago in little league I trained myself to bat and throw ambidextrously, but am right dominant. Since the right is the one needing repair I've started using the left for things, especially litte things like picking up small parts. That way it will be worth a damn when its needed. Progress to heavier things.

Be pro active.

Reactions: gigamortis
    Coming up on 20 years since I blew up my shoulder. Ladder came out from under me, 12' up, ground was frozen solid. Broken arm right below the shoulder, shoulder blade in 3 places, torn rotator cuff, and 'various other soft tissue damage'. Put back together with a rod & screws, spent 3 months with my arm strapped to my chest. it was 2 weeks before I could take a shower, wife said there was mold in my armpit!! :ROFLMAO: On that note, a cheap cloth sling is a big help with showering. Lean forward and let your arm hang away from you to scrub your pit.

Doc said he would have done a replacement but I was too young, 37 at the time, but it would happen at some point. So I still have that to look forward to. I have about 60% usage of it still. After they knocked me out, the doc told my wife he wasn't sure if he could save my arm because it had been well over 24 hours since the fall, 27 iirc. Aching is a daily occurrence, with occasional lightning bolts for good measure.

Anyway, the advice about a comfy recliner is spot on. It was about 6 months before I could lay flat, and we had a waterbed at the time. We have an adjustable bed now and I still sleep propped up.

Coming up on 20 years since I blew up my shoulder. Ladder came out from under me, 12' up, ground was frozen solid. Broken arm right below the shoulder, shoulder blade in 3 places, torn rotator cuff, and 'various other soft tissue damage'. Put back together with a rod & screws, spent 3 months with my arm strapped to my chest. it was 2 weeks before I could take a shower, wife said there was mold in my armpit!! :ROFLMAO: On that note, a cheap cloth sling is a big help with showering. Lean forward and let your arm hang away from you to scrub your pit.

Doc said he would have done a replacement but I was too young, 37 at the time, but it would happen at some point. So I still have that to look forward to. I have about 60% usage of it still. After they knocked me out, the doc told my wife he wasn't sure if he could save my arm because it had been well over 24 hours since the fall, 27 iirc. Aching is a daily occurrence, with occasional lightning bolts for good measure.

Anyway, the advice about a comfy recliner is spot on. It was about 6 months before I could lay flat, and we had a waterbed at the time. We have an adjustable bed now and I still sleep propped up.
    I hate ladders. Thats why god made Mexicans. give me a good solid scaffold.

Reactions: SWgeezer and mi650
    I had a right shoulder joint replacement done mid March of this year and I will have my left shoulder joint replacement this coming December 12.

The only experience I have with a rotator cuff repair/recovery is when my ex-wife had a repair done.

Based on that, My replacement was waaaaaay easier and way less painful than a cuff repair.

I did 6 weeks of range of motion PT and then decided to save a little money and finish my strengthening PT myself and the decision worked out well for me. I was able to cast a flyrod within six weeks from my surgery date.

I had a nerve block done why I was snoozing and really didn't expierience much pain after surgery and had no problem sleeping because I sleep on my back normally. About 60 days post surgery, I was able to shoot my higher recoiling rifles I own with no worries about screwing up my shoulder again.

I would suggest to anyone needing repair work on their shoulders to ask if a joint replacement is a good option for you and if it is, go that direction.

Basically, when the joint is replaced, the joint is reversed so the ball end of the arm joint is concave type cup that fits over a ball that is attatched to the area that used to be the cup side of the joint.

Like I said earlier, I am scheduled to have my left shoulder joint replacement this coming December twelth. I would be happy to answer specific question

After helping my ex-wife with her pt due to a cuff repair, a joint replacement is way easier and less painful and my recovery was easier and faster than a cuff repair.

I need to add, if you do something stupid and dis-locate the joint, you can't pop it back in and be done with it, you will need to have it surgically repaired no if's, ands or buts.

Last edited:
    I hate ladders. Thats why god made Mexicans. give me a good solid scaffold.
    I was building our house, not too many Mexicans around here. Lots of Amish, though. Maybe I should have hired them. Real Amish, I mean, horse & buggy type. :ROFLMAO:

Now on my 2nd impinged shoulder--have not had surgery BUT it did not affect my shooting or ability to absorb recoil.

Of course I may be shooting wrong by recoil tends to hit me more interior than the joint. I could barely put my hand behind my back. Recoil pads also help just in case.

Either way PT was a bitch compared with legs.

I have a torn labrum, right shoulder, 39 years old. No acute injury, just years of riding motorcycles off-road, whitewater kayaking and undoubtedly my time with Uncle Sugar catching up with me. We are planning surgery in January, I wanted to get through the holidays and hunting season but I have to admit that I am not super excited about it after everything I've read here and from others I have talked to that have undergone the surgery. I tried injections and PT, it didn't improve much but I remained hopeful.

nearly 3 1/2 years ago. not what you're having. bone grinding, some other shit i cant remember, moved bicep head tendon. fucked up for me. was meant to have a 2nd op Feb last year but have been dealing with back issue (i speak to neurosurgeon just before xmas re surgery to back). shoulder surgeon did not want me to do any stretching. both physios, office and gym, gave me a stupid look when i told them the surgeons instructions. called my condition post surgery "frozen shoulder". been fucked ever since. don't have full rotation. bicep feels like a cramp that never comes on. my physio told me that the moment i started getting some feeling back in my arm, i should let my shoulder do pendulum swings on its own. getting the right surgeon is key. even though i had many tell me that the one i had was fantastic, i didnt have a fantastic outcome. first i heard about my bicep tendon being moved was post surgery. he'll have to explain himself to the lawyers when they start to sue. good luck with yours, hope it works out for you.

nearly 3 1/2 years ago. not what you're having. bone grinding, some other shit i cant remember, moved bicep head tendon. fucked up for me. was meant to have a 2nd op Feb last year but have been dealing with back issue (i speak to neurosurgeon just before xmas re surgery to back). shoulder surgeon did not want me to do any stretching. both physios, office and gym, gave me a stupid look when i told them the surgeons instructions. called my condition post surgery "frozen shoulder". been fucked ever since. don't have full rotation. bicep feels like a cramp that never comes on. my physio told me that the moment i started getting some feeling back in my arm, i should let my shoulder do pendulum swings on its own. getting the right surgeon is key. even though i had many tell me that the one i had was fantastic, i didnt have a fantastic outcome. first i heard about my bicep tendon being moved was post surgery. he'll have to explain himself to the lawyers when they start to sue. good luck with yours, hope it works out for you.
    biceps reattachment is quite common and does create more pain and recovery time. Frozen shoulder is very common. Don't get too far out on the lawsuit, the biggest issue is lack of effective pt.

Reactions: Gee Kay
    My step-grandfather used to say, "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work anymore. That is how you know when you are old."

I get pain in my left thumb. I am left-handed but I play guitar right-handed (the only available books for teaching myself were right-handed) and it's okay. But I am learning to do more with my right hand.

A number of birthdays have worn me down.

Holy Shit, THANKS FOR THIS!!!

Done the stretches 4-5 times so far and a majority of the pain is gone, popping seems reduced. If improvement continues, maybe with the shots I can avoid surgery, or minimalize it to removing the spurs.

Holy Shit, THANKS FOR THIS!!!

Done the stretches 4-5 times so far and a majority of the pain is gone, popping seems reduced. If improvement continues, maybe with the shots I can avoid surgery, or minimalize it to removing the spurs.
    Good to hear!
    I also have a tear in my right hip and the ball of my femur locks like its been jackhammered. Motocross and years of martial arts are hard on a body. I have a few joint injuries from my passion for simi-dangerous hobbies. Was at the point of getting cortisone shots in my hip socket .Got 3 shots in a year and a half. Was suppose to get another, But was exposed to the dreaded covid and had to cancel the shot. They were hit and miss as to reducing the hip pain. So, My hip was getting fairly painful. So, I was looking for some relief. I went to youtube and found a Bob & Brad vid on hip pain. Followed their recommended stretching. Got pretty quick relief in my hip. I have not been back to the Orthopedic doc since then. Hip is a non factor for me now. An occasional twinge once in a while.
    I now have excellent range of motion in my hips and do mobility/strengthening exercises on a regular basis! Been on a strength and mobility path for a few years now. Lots of good info on youtube for both.
    Good luck with the shoulder!

Good to hear!
    I also have a tear in my right hip and the ball of my femur locks like its been jackhammered. Motocross and years of martial arts are hard on a body. I have a few joint injuries from my passion for simi-dangerous hobbies. Was at the point of getting cortisone shots in my hip socket .Got 3 shots in a year and a half. Was suppose to get another, But was exposed to the dreaded covid and had to cancel the shot. They were hit and miss as to reducing the hip pain. So, My hip was getting fairly painful. So, I was looking for some relief. I went to youtube and found a Bob & Brad vid on hip pain. Followed their recommended stretching. Got pretty quick relief in my hip. I have not been back to the Orthopedic doc since then. Hip is a non factor for me now. An occasional twinge once in a while.
    I now have excellent range of motion in my hips and do mobility/strengthening exercises on a regular basis! Been on a strength and mobility path for a few years now. Lots of good info on youtube for both.
    Good luck with the shoulder!
    As men, so much of what we do is compressive its no wonder things get locked up. Yoga is a great way to stretch, with out compression, as is swimming. I need to get back to those.

Full rotator cuff tear and subacromial impingement. (Right shoulder / Dominant arm)

Arthroscopic repair and subacromial decompression performed on 11-27-23.

Wasn't able to repair torn biceps as it is a 25 year old injury.

Will begin PT in two days vs the planned 6 week mark per surgeon after surgery.

Getting along pretty good so far. Sleep is an issue naturally.
    Pain and discomfort at 3 with moderate 1/2 Oxy APAP 10/325MG TA, Tylenol, and Cold therapy unit. Guessing the next couple days will change some.

Wife is the Director of PT. Will be attending PT at a friend of my wife. (her suggestion)

This type of shoulder replacement can take care of bone spurs, arthritis and worn out cartilage on the humeral head. Absolutely ZERO restrictions after finishing PT and many regain "like new" movement in their shoulders. It is called "Ream and Run" and is done by the expert staff at the University of Washington, in Washington State. The degraded humeral head is removed and replaced. The new head is grafted in, not cemented, and becomes part of the humerus. The glenoid is resurfaced to accept the new chromoly humeral head prosthesis and then the shoulder gets sewn back together.

old shoulder.JPG
    new shoulder.JPG

Reactions: tex68w and Maggot
    This type of shoulder replacement can take care of bone spurs, arthritis and worn out cartilage on the humeral head. Absolutely ZERO restrictions after finishing PT and many regain "like new" movement in their shoulders. It is called "Ream and Run" and is done by the expert staff at the University of Washington, in Washington State. The degraded humeral head is removed and replaced. The new head is grafted in, not cemented, and becomes part of the humerus. The glenoid is resurfaced to accept the new chromoly humeral head prosthesis and then the shoulder gets sewn back together.

View attachment 8283658View attachment 8283656
    That looks about like what they did to my hip. Titanium ball and I forget the socket, but it works, no pain, I usually only notice it when I roll over in bed. Ill look into it. Looks like they have a good staff. One thin I've learned is research your surgeon.

Edit:

An old retired surgeon recommended the guy who did my hip..."If it were me he's the guy I'd pick, he eats, sleeps and breathes thei stuff." I must have gotten the right guy, when I move to another state and checked in with an orthopedist he asked who my former doc was. Turns out the new guy had just finished an article on the old guy. Do your research and get a surgeon who only does one or tow types, not a jack of all master of none.

On a separate note, I just got a look at the MRI of my neck. After 3 neck injuries, it's ugly, and sadly no 'Neck Replacement'.

Edit for follow up,

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: SWgeezer
    I had a right shoulder joint replacement done mid March of this year and I will have my left shoulder joint replacement this coming December 12.

The only experience I have with a rotator cuff repair/recovery is when my ex-wife had a repair done.

Based on that, My replacement was waaaaaay easier and way less painful than a cuff repair.

I did 6 weeks of range of motion PT and then decided to save a little money and finish my strengthening PT myself and the decision worked out well for me. I was able to cast a flyrod within six weeks from my surgery date.

I had a nerve block done why I was snoozing and really didn't expierience much pain after surgery and had no problem sleeping because I sleep on my back normally. About 60 days post surgery, I was able to shoot my higher recoiling rifles I own with no worries about screwing up my shoulder again.

I would suggest to anyone needing repair work on their shoulders to ask if a joint replacement is a good option for you and if it is, go that direction.

Basically, when the joint is replaced, the joint is reversed so the ball end of the arm joint is concave type cup that fits over a ball that is attatched to the area that used to be the cup side of the joint.

Like I said earlier, I am scheduled to have my left shoulder joint replacement this coming December twelth. I would be happy to answer specific question

After helping my ex-wife with her pt due to a cuff repair, a joint replacement is way easier and less painful and my recovery was easier and faster than a cuff repair.

I need to add, if you do something stupid and dis-locate the joint, you can't pop it back in and be done with it, you will need to have it surgically repaired no if's, ands or buts.
    1701219876685.png

So you got option B? Total reverse. If so, your rotator cuff was junk anyway and not worth fixing.Generally they have a less than stellar recovery. Good on you for making out well with it.

Reactions: mtwarych
    Day 6 after surgery. My shoulder is great virtually no pain and I'm only taking Tylenol. No pain meaning as long as I don't move in a direction I shouldn't.

Day 3 I started physical therapy my surgeon suggested I start immediately versus later, due to what he found and the repair. That all went great. I can tell it's not gonna be a fun task, but I'm all in for it.

Inflammation moved to my wrist yesterday which sucked and today it's absolutely horrible. I'm told by several the reason for this is likely because I've been in my sling 95% of the time since surgery, but can happen regardless.

I'm using a Breg polar care cube for icing in those things are fantastic. It's only a rental, but I'm considering buying it and buying the extra attachments for other areas of the body.

Beyond the inflammation in my wrist the worst part about it at this point is wiping my ass left-handed, buttoning my jeans, and lack of sleep.
    I've become quite the MacGyver with 550 cord and other tools to button jeans and other every day tasks.

Reactions: Hattrick
    Day 6 after surgery. My shoulder is great virtually no pain and I'm only taking Tylenol. No pain meaning as long as I don't move in a direction I shouldn't.

Day 3 I started physical therapy my surgeon suggested I start immediately versus later, due to what he found and the repair. That all went great. I can tell it's not gonna be a fun task, but I'm all in for it.

Inflammation moved to my wrist yesterday which sucked and today it's absolutely horrible. I'm told by several the reason for this is likely because I've been in my sling 95% of the time since surgery, but can happen regardless.

I'm using a Breg polar care cube for icing in those things are fantastic. It's only a rental, but I'm considering buying it and buying the extra attachments for other areas of the body.

Beyond the inflammation in my wrist the worst part about it at this point is wiping my ass left-handed, buttoning my jeans, and lack of sleep.
    I've become quite the MacGyver with 550 cord and other tools to button jeans and other every day tasks.

Thats great. Ive been practicing using my left hand for those little things like shaving the toughest one, may spring for an electric razor , toothbrush etc. Hadnt thought about wiping my ass,

On a positive note I've been doing the exercises from the videos and pain level is down to 10%. Seems a lot of it was from the locked scapula.

• Haha
    Reactions: GUNNER75
    Thats great. Ive been practicing using my left hand for those little things like shaving the toughest one, may spring for an electric razor , toothbrush etc. Hadnt thought about wiping my ass,

On a positive note I've been doing the exercises from the videos and pain level is down to 10%. Seems a lot of it was from the locked scapula.

I'm gonna look like Grizzly Adams by the time this ordeal is over with. My wife is a physical therapist, and so is about four other people I know I'm in pretty good hands there they got me doing all kinds of stuff.
    Good luck Maggot it's definitely something interesting to learn how to deal with.