• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a 1.5” mount, 50mm obj, and MTU or similar barrel?

akmike47

Rumpleforeskin King of the Poors
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    I think I may need a 1.5” mount for my rifle, but don’t really know. I don’t want it to look stupid as hell either or hender me on barricades, I’ll be in pain instead.

Its a long shot but does anyone have a picture your rifle with a 1.5” mount, 50mm obj, 34mm tube, and a near MTU contour? Have trouble shooting through barricades with the height?

Thinking about saving up for a SPUHR but not sure if I should get a 1.5 or 1.35 and there’s nowhere that stocks them around here.

Last edited:
    Unless you're using a chassis system with an enclosed forend you should be able to get by with a 1.0" ring height with that optic you described.

S&B 3-12X50 in Badger 1.0" tall 34mm rings
    Quantico 5.JPG

Premier 3-15X50 in Badger 1.0" 34mm rings
    IMG_0745.jpg

475CD198-7DDF-4F17-B1AB-2D44E9C4D1DB.png
    CB1E23BF-A983-4E73-9B61-21F97C297079.png
    These are the recommendations MPA makes for their scope mounts. I run a Razor 2 so my BA mount is 1.125.

F4090A8F-BA2F-435F-A058-D1B8B21E30D3.jpeg

This is my Vudoo with a MTU contour with a 56mm objective and the 1.125 mount to give you an idea of the clearance. I will see if I can find a picture of a 1.5 spuhr mount and 50mm.

Reactions: akmike47
    I know what size you should run, and I have 1" rings. I have a fucked up neck and can't shrug much and can't crank my head over to the side long or at all sometimes. I need a more upright head position, I've already dropped my recoil pad about 1/3 down or more and I'm still having issues and obviously that's not ideal. I also have a acc almost as long as it'll adjust to fit my LOP if that lets you know my size.

Last edited:
    View attachment 7836420
    This is my Vudoo with a MTU contour with a 56mm objective and the 1.125 mount to give you an idea of the clearance. I will see if I can find a picture of a 1.5 spuhr mount and 50mm.
    Thanks, I've been looking and can't find much it mostly just pops up 1.5 mounts on a table top

Mostly Fudds at the range here and the local PRS spot is members only and usually empty when I get to tag along.

View attachment 7836422
    Ok this is a Spuhr 1.5” 50mm objective 30mm tube. I know it’s not an MTU but maybe it will help.
    Man that would look ridiculous on my rifle since I don't have that style chassis. I know looks don't really matter, but I don't want to look like a moron either lol

Yea 1.5” and 50mm would be pretty high without a handguard.
    Would be easier if I could get behind some rifles already set up, I'm just guessing until then. May just have to look like a moron.

You don't realize how much your neck/shoulder is moving around to get on the rifle until they don't move much. Then again maybe for non-giant people that isn't an issue.

I have a problem with my neck too so I know it can be an issue. If you are gonna get a Spuhr the 1.38 might be a good compromise. It will have a gap but shouldn’t look bad.

I have a problem with my neck too so I know it can be an issue. If you are gonna get a Spuhr the 1.38 might be a good compromise. It will have a gap but shouldn’t look bad.
    Probably right, I've tried figuring out where my eye lines up with the scope and measuring but it's futile pretty much. Higher is higher I suppose.

May try that thinner ACC cheek rest and see if that helps any too, maybe getting my head over to center line closer rather than craning over would help some. Then again my stock cheek rest is already pushed over a good bit.

Reactions: CavReconScout
    Yea that should help too. I am not sure what you are using for a rear bag but Frank had me switch to a little higher bag at his class and then adjust the bipod higher to match. Made it significantly more comfortable with my neck problem. I had the rifle too low and it was making me roll my head over onto the cheek rest.

Yea that should help too. I am not sure what you are using for a rear bag but Frank had me switch to a little higher bag at his class and then adjust the bipod higher to match. Made it significantly more comfortable with my neck problem. I had the rifle too low and it was making me roll my head over onto the cheek rest.
    I have a 6-7" squeeze bag and a Mini Fortune cookie.

May have to set myself up like "Mark and Sam After Work" on YouTube when prone his rifles always high as hell. Bad part is even off barricades it's the same issue, I just don't have much movement. May just be something I have to deal with.

2F31CF6A-B424-43C8-8B0A-8DC098273017.jpeg

This is from a @BigJimFish scope review. It is a Bobro 34mm cantilever with a 56mm objective and I would guess 1.5” but maybe he can clarify that. Kinda shows how much gap above the barrel.

I seem to have more discomfort prone (depending on the angle etc) than off barricades when I’m more upright. But your right shit just doesn't bend or work like it use to. Heck I have to put a pump pillow under my chest when we shoot high prone off a bucket or bottom ladder rung cause my back and neck just won’t do that anymore 😂

I seem to have more discomfort prone (depending on the angle etc) than off barricades when I’m more upright. But your right shit just doesn't bend or work like it use to. Heck I have to put a pump pillow under my chest when we shoot high prone off a bucket or bottom ladder rung cause my back and neck just won’t do that anymore 😂
    My gut takes care of that issue lol

I just find myself having to push my head down way too much to get a sight picture, used to I’d just shrug my shoulder up more but since my traps have started tightening up with my neck I don’t seem to be able to shrug anymore

• Haha
    Go to the sex shop and get you one of those triangle wedge pillows to lay on 🤣

• Haha
    Heck maybe I will just pickup a blowup doll we can use it as a stage prop 😂😂 have to figure out a way to strap it to my pack 😂

• Haha
    Pretty much all my optics are in 1.5" mounts (though mostly 56mm objectives) as some of my rifles (PRS rigs, practical rifles, gas guns) have full length pic handguards or NV bridges and some don't and I like to be able to swap optics around sometimes.

I prefer 1.5” over 1.25” for shooting off tripod and barricade.