• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a 300 RUM pet load???

longtoshoot

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Texas
Hello,
Looking for a hunting load for a 300 RUM. Been playing with 180 Nosler Partitions with no luck on groups. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Weldon

Re: Anyone have a 300 RUM pet load???

Try longrange hunting.com there are allot of ultra mag shooters over there. I only shot 220 and 240's in mine so I can't help you.

I've got a bone stock Rem LSS that I use for hunting. I load 180gr Sierra Gamekings over 94.5gr of RL-25. Pretty much wrecks shit and shoots consistent 3/4" groups at 100yds. It's meant for hunting, so I haven't really tried to check groups past 200 yds. Plus, it's not the most pleasant thing to shoot.

98gr. of Retumbo with a 180gr. Swift Scirrocco 3.60 OAL with Fed Mag Match,shoots great in 4 different 300RUM's (3 sendero's and on BDL ss).

Retumbo is a great powder for this. Believe i was using a little over 100 with the 180's but around 96-97 grains would be a good start depending on you weather and climate.

Have had more then a few guys tell me us869 is a great powder for this case. You can put 104 grains in the case i believe. Just want to make sure your not leaving much room at all cause if the powder sluffs at all in the case it can cause hang fires such as it is a very fine ball powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Plus, it's not the most pleasant thing to shoot. </div></div>

Muzzle break.

I hate muzzle brakes for hunting. I would rather not have to wear hearing protection while in the woods. A removable one would work, but I really don't shoot this thing enough outside of the woods to justify it.

I shoot 190gr Matchking with 96gr of Retumbo in 700p. This load will shoot 1/2 MOA out to 500yds which is as far as ive checked it. I know MK are not recommended for hunting but have had excellent luck with them. Shot a doe at 236 yd and a buck at 212. Both fell dead in their tracks. Also used 168gr MK in a Lazzeroni Warbird with the same reults.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then its sounds like a suppressor might be better for ya then. </div></div>

Can't argue there
smile.gif
. However, I have a few other high dollar purchases that I need to make before that one. Maybe someday though...

Thanks for the tips everyone...I'll get on the bench and see what happens. I'll post back how it comes out.

Thanks again!!

Weldon

Had a guy named Dan Lilja tell me once, " I don't have any experience with that specific case (300 RUM), however it is tough to beat a bunch of H1000, a federal 215 M primer and the heaviest Sierra Matchking you can buy." I'll dig up more specific load info for you. It is one hell of a cartidge; recoil be damned.