• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone have a bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 on an AR?

strider09

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
wichita KS.
I am considering getting a bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 scope for my ar type rifle. but am wondering how good they are, not so much how clear the optics are, but more of will it hold zero on an AR (with the extra abuse that comes with being on a semi-auto). Does anyone have one of these on an AR-type? does it hold zero? or do the cross hairs shift around? Also what plain is the mil dot on? does it stay accurate mildot through out the range or do you have to adjust and compensate at differant powers?

Thank you for any advice or comments about this.

Re: anyone have a bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 on an AR?

Here's pic. 6500s are bullet proof. Only disadvantage is they a SFP scopes. Use the Warne extra high rings made especially for ARs to give proper cheek weld. Brownell's has em'

DSCN2713.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you for the post, whats a sfp scope?</div></div> SFP - Second Focal Plane

Is that the plain that mil dot is not accurate at all magnifications?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the plain that mil dot is not accurate at all magnifications?</div></div> FFP Mil based Reticle = Range at any magnification. Lower Magnification = Smaller Reticle. Higher magnification = Reticle increases in size/diameter.

SFP - Range at manufactures suggested magnification...Leupold-Max; Nikon; Bushnell, etc....x10 or x12 depending on scope/model. Reticle remains the same size throughout the magnification range from low to high, high to low.

Some prefer FFP, some prefer SFP = Depends on the type of shooting/use. "To each his own"

IMHO: Learn the reticle, then if "You" feel the need "upgrade". I dont know the quality of glass Horus makes/usues, but many here like their reticle for ranging.

"Lindy", I believe, has posted in the past that its a good reticle to learn on. Once you get the hang of seeing/using that reticle it will help you use any mil based reticle there after.

But, of course you can learn on any mil based reticle. Just need to put in the time............myself included, always learning.

sfp kinda defeats the purpose of haveing a variable power mil dot.... definatly something I`m glad to learn about.
Other than the SFP, how is the scope? does the zero stay constant even after being used on a semi auto type?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sfp kinda defeats the purpose of haveing a variable power mil dot.... definatly something I`m glad to learn about.
Other than the SFP, how is the scope? does the zero stay constant even after being used on a semi auto type?</div></div> I dont see why it wouldnt. Quality/proper built anything should work. "Buy as much glass as you can afford", this doesnt mean magnification. quality optics are night & day

I have heard many times about scopes that can`t hold zero with the semi auto`s knocking it back and then forward again as most are built to only have the one way kick of the bolt action.

I have also heard bad things about bushnell not being able to hold zero, but that may very well be only on thier lower end scopes, and maybe a problem fixed several years ago.... as I heard it from an ol-timer I knew who loved leupolds.

Then again, these might just be things that people are saying that are not true...

But I really like the power range of this scope.....

Just wanted to make sure that it`s good for me and my application before spending that much money.

The SFP scope can only be used (easily) for mil dot ranging at one magnification. On this scope it's 10X. The + is that the reticle always appears the same size relative to the viewer.

The FFP scope can be used to "mil" at all magnifications. The reticle appears to the viewer to get larger as power is raised.
In reality, it stays exactly the same size relative to the target.

Actually, IMO, the whole mil dot thing is another symptom of "tacticalitis". Very few real world tactical or hunting shots are taken beyond the point blank range of modern cartridges.

As the old master Jack O'Connor put it in his "rule of three".
Sight in your modern rifle 3" high at 100 yards and you can take any big game animal or man out to 300 yards or more.

In spite of the BS put out in the gun rags, western game & fish departments statistics prove that most Elk are taken within 150 yards. Antelope & Deer 200.

I happen to like the Schmidt & Bender #8 Varmint reticle far better than mil-dots as it is a FFP design, nowhere near as "busy" as mil-dots and once you learn where the bullet lands relative to the range it is KISS. Not a scope 4-16x50, for deep woods but perfect for Antelope & Mulies.
No-8varmint.gif

I've got a 3200 5x15x40 tactical on my predator pursuit and haven't had a problem with it not holding zero. It's a well built scope for the money IMHO.
P1160040.jpg

FFP and "milling" is only an issue in variables. A 10X Bushnell 3200 mil-dot or a SWFA Super Sniper are an excellent buys. Most variable FFP scopes that are inexpensive may be prone to the very problems you are concerned with. More moving parts can mean more problems. That's why Tactical grade Schmidts, Hensholdts and Kahles cost what they do.