• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a CZ452 and a Falcon 4-14 FFP?

ClosetCaseNerd

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Iraq
Trying to get a feel for rings...what are you guys using for make/model/height?

Any pics I'd sure appreciate them! Thanks!

Re: Anyone have a CZ452 and a Falcon 4-14 FFP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClosetCaseNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trying to get a feel for rings...</div></div>

American or Varmint?

Either way with one of the R/T scope bases you you should be ok with Leupold QRW medium rings.

cool.gif

Davinho has a 452 with a Falcon Menace 4-14 on it. Great combo. We were shooting 2" rocks out to 250yds with that rifle, using the dots to range the fire.

He'll probably be along shortly to give you some info on the rings.

Its a CZ 452 American

Should I get a section of 1913 rail or mount rings directly to the receiver? Should I get the 20MOA version? I'd like to shoot the rifle to the calibers limit... I was thinking of using rimfiretechnologies rail section. Rings, I am clueless about.

Yeah, that was stupid fun wasn't it RimfireJunky?

I put the Burris Signature Z rings on with a rail from rimfiretechnologies.com. Love them. The inserts grip the scope tighter than you can believe but without any possibility of marring
the finish. Also, they allow you to put up to 20 MOA of cant in it for long range shooting. I'm using the tallest model, since I have an adjustable cheek piece, and for offhand shooting you want tall rings.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Maybe as early as tomorrow morning.

Any idea what height rings I should use if I'm trying to keep the optic as close as possible to the barrel?

OK, borrowed a crappy digital camera, and got a couple of pics that might be helpful.
Keep in mind that it's a lousy camera, and I'm a lousy photographer:

Pic 1

Pic 2

That's an engineer's ruler, so the minor hash marks are 0.1 inches. So with the rail, and the Burris Extremely High rings, I have just a bit under 0.5 inches clearance from objective to barrel.

Here's a table with the heights of the different rings:

Burris Signature Zee Ring Page

OK, pics not working for some reason, so I've made them links. The good news is that if you follow the links, there are "Original Size" links that will bring up much larger and more useful pictures.

Thanks for the pics and replies! You know i'll be damned usoptics page is very confusing. Which specific model do you have? I figure I need about 4/10 (or .4) of an inch less then what you are currently running...

I've got the Extremely High 30mm Signature Zee rings, which according to the table, have a height of 0.455 inches, which matches my measurements.

You will want the Medium height 30mm Signature Zee rings then. They're the lowest height in that model, and are .25 inches lower, which should give you a little less than 1/4 inch clearance. Just about perfect if you want to put some Butler Creek lens covers on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Davinho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got the Extremely High 30mm Signature Zee rings, which according to the table, have a height of 0.455 inches, which matches my measurements.

You will want the Medium height 30mm Signature Zee rings then. They're the lowest height in that model, and are .25 inches lower, which should give you a little less than 1/4 inch clearance. Just about perfect if you want to put some Butler Creek lens covers on. </div></div>

See this is exactly what doesn't make sense. From your pictures there is about a 4/10ths to a 1/2 inch of a gap indicated. Lets just take the 4/10ths for instance, or .400. How can your rings be .455'' high from the RT plate (as stated by the diagram on usoptic's page), and the objective lens be .400 from the barrel? That is essentially saying the rings are mounting the scope TUBE .050 higher then the receiver (or more accurately the rimfiretechnologies plate).

What I was trying to do was figure out the minimum distance the scope tube could be from the RT plate so I could use that reference when looking at/buying other manufacturers rings. All manufacturers measure their rings from the bottom of the scope tube to the top of the mounting surface, correct? (as indicated on usoptics page you linked to in the diagram). So if I could figure this out I could shop freely for rings online, right? Or are there differences between manufacturers or inconsistencies in measurement?

Oh god, I've gone cross eyed....

The "C" dimension on that page is from the bottom of the scope tube, to a flat spot on the bottom of the scope ring that is a bit higher than the top of the RT rail when mounted. Plus the barrel tapers just past the receiver, and the bell width of the scope is yet another factor. Don't get too torqued about it all, just look at it this way: with the Extremely High rings on an RT Weaver rail, you'll have just under 0.5 inches clearance from bell to barrel. The Medium rings are 0.25 inches lower than the Extremely High, so they will bring the scope down 0.25 inches, giving you just under 0.25 inches clearance. Done.