• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a multi barreled CZ455?

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
Looking at it, I can buy a Savage MK2 for $250 a piece. Although I don't plan on going 17HMR, it's $500 for two MK2 FVs, or $471 for the CZ American combo. I don't know anything about a 17hm2 barrel, or setting back the hmr barrel, but it seems that 2-3 barrels on one action and one good trigger and stock, with one scope with multiple settings, would be better than multiple everythings.

Re: Anyone have a multi barreled CZ455?

If I was going to do it again, I'd order a CZ 455 Varmint in 17 hmr.

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rimfire-rifles/

Then save my pennies until I could order the two drop in barrels provided by Lilja.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm

I'd get the match grade heavy barrels in 22lr and 17hm2.
The factory barrels are adequate for hunting and plinking,
but in no way equal the accuracy of the Lilja barrels.

Just to give you an idea of the difference

CZ 455 free floated factory barrel 22lr from a test rest:

cz455me-50.JPG

10 minutes later after changing barrels
the Lilja in the same stock and test rest:

lilja-me-50.JPG

test-rest.JPG

I have quite a bit of 17hm2 already, and don't see a reason to spend twice the money for a 20% increase in power of the HMR. I went HM2 because of the flat trajectory from 25-125 yards and less chance of a dangerous ricochet.

Do you have the Lilja 17 barrel? How is the accuracy of the 17 barrel from Lilja? What kind of ammo does it like? How does the stock barrel compare? Very interested and been following some of the conversations following you and your rifle. I am ordering a 455 next week. Did you get the american or varmint? Do you know how easy it is to convert the varmint or precision trainer between 17 and 22? I have been thinking about the american combo simply because it comes with everything needed to do both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have the Lilja 17 barrel?</div></div>

Nope, no need. The distances I hunt at don't really need the long range accuracy.
The factory 17 hmr barrel, once tweaked and shimmed in the stock,
has provided all the hunting accuracy I need for the brush here in north Florida.
My offhand shooting skills aren't good enough to take advantage of
the greater accuracy offered by upgrading to the match grade barrels.

squirrel-zone.JPG

I purchased the Lilja 22lr barrel for range use.
Shooting from a bench, I can shoot all morning with minimal ammo expense.
At 50 yards CCI SV makes for a great training ammo.
At 100 yards SK Pistol Match allows sub-moa accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How is the accuracy of the 17 barrel from Lilja?</div></div>

Lilja offers the 17hm2 for the CZ 455.
Target pictures posted for Lilja 17hm2 barrels show tight groups
with single occasional flyers. Not sure if that's the barrel or the shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Did you get the American or varmint?</div></div>

I've got the CZ 455 American combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you know how easy it is to convert the varmint or precision trainer between 17 and 22?</div></div>

CZ designed the 455 series with the specific intent of allowing
barrels to be switched quickly and easily, for all the 455 models.
The 455 American comes with tapered barrels,
Lilja offers a tapered barrel that will fit the American stock.
The CZ 455 Varmint is a straight bull barrel,
and the Lilja straight barrel will fit the Varmint stock.
The CZ heavy barrel is 0.866 inch diameter, the Lilja straight is 0.900 diameter.
0.034 diameter difference shouldn't cause any problem in swapping barrels.

jaia,

Thanks for the info. My main concern is with the mag well. Are there any special parts needed to go from one to the other? I saw where you said that if you had to so it over, you would have saved the money on the combo and got the .17 varmint and ordered the lilja 22 barrel. Very interesting with all the testing you have done. Where in North Florida are you from? I am from Jacksonville but working in Erie, Pa for the time being.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My main concern is with the mag well. Are there any special parts needed to go from one to the other?</div></div>

Magazine housing is the same for the 22 wmr, 17 hmr, 22lr and 17 hm2.
The difference is the adapter and pin that is installed to allow
the 22lr/17 hm2 magazine to fit into the housing. That's parts
numbers 12 and 13 of page 16 of the linked owners manual. When swapping
barrels you install the adapter and pin (or remove) as needed.
I use the single shot adapter (part number 67) all the time,
otherwise I go through ammo too fast.

http://www.czub.cz/zbrojovka/cz-manual/Instruction-Manual-CZ-455.pdf

When I purchased the 455 in 2011, Lilja hadn't yet produced the drop in barrels.
When I read about the start of production in February 2012, I ordered in March.
After receiving the Lilja in 22lr, I never use the factory 22lr barrel.
Who wants to use a barrel that shoots groups 3/4 inch wide at 50 yds with Wolf ME,
when the match grade barrel shoots moa at 50 yards using CCI SV,
and sub moa with Pistol Match ammo out to 100 yards. If I'd purchased
the CZ 455 Varmint with the bull barreled 17 hmr, then the 22lr
magazine, adapter and pin, I'd only need to purchase the Lilja straight barrel,
to have one seriously accurate combination for hunting and range use.
I hunt almost exclusively using CCI 17 hmr 20 gr fmj.
A morning of stalking squirrels or rabbits only uses 5 or 6 rounds.
That costs about a buck fifty in ammo, total, for the 5 or 6 shots I take.
The 20 gr fmj is a flat trajectoried, supersonic icepick, which
is great for a clean accurate head shot every time. No meat spray
like the 17 gr ballistic tips or hollow points produce.
Drop the Lilja barrel in for range use and I can shoot 300 rounds of CCI SV 22lr
for about 16 bucks. That's still an inexpensive morning of accurate shooting.

Home is halfway between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach.
Do most of my hunting just south of the Florida-Georgia line
on the west side of I-75, north of Live Oak.

I have a 455 american combo. I shoot mostly the 22lr. From a bench I can shoot one hole groups at 50yds with the factory barrel. I don't shoot the 17 hmr that much. I also have a .22wmr barrel. If it were up to me I would just buy two rifles. Shoot the facory barrels before you go spending money on aftermarket barrels. I think you will be pleasantly surprized.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From a bench I can shoot one hole groups at 50yds with the factory barrel.</div></div>

Wish I'd been so lucky.
frown.gif

I didn't win the assembly line lottery...
grin.gif

Stock flex, sloppy fit between receiver and stock inletting and barrel whip
meant I had to learn and apply all sorts of accurizing tips from the folks here and elsewhere.
Pillaring, shimming, bedding, torque changes and ammo testing kept me busy for 6 months.
When I finished the 455 was more than adequate for head popping squirrels.
But for bench shooting, it was nowhere near the accuracy of the more expensive rimfires.
Shooting against a couple of Annies, a Kimber and an old BSA Martini at the local range
the CZ factory barrel just didn't have the the right stuff.
The Lilja isn't for everyone, but for those who enjoy tinkering with their rifles,
it sure makes a difference at the range. Problem is, you'll have to think up new excuses.
Won't be able to blame lousy targets on the rifle anymore!
wink.gif

To be honest I think I would be happy of I could buy a factory .17hm2, and then lilja or other the .22LR barrel.