• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone have a Nomad-30?

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
If you do, do you find it to be comfortable on the ears with 223 (16" barrel)? I see alot of people shooting suppressed without ear protection, but from what I'm reading most suppressors don't reduce the sound to safe region when shooting super sonic rounds. So, if you have to wear ear protection, whats the point of having a suppressor? I know with 22 RF the noise reduction is significant enough to be safe, which is why I'm getting a dead air mask. Hate wearing ear protection when there isn't anyone else shooting.

I use to shoot AR's and bolt guns without ear pro until I noticed my ears hurting on the drive home. For me, it's right at that threshold that still causes damage. If I'm just firing a few shots, I don't wear earpro. When firing my 308 AR, I no longer have to wear double ear pro. Shooting suppressed is that much more pleasant especially when teaching newer shooters and some people want to keep their neighbors happy. If you hunt, the video below shows how useful cans can be.

Anything over 85db will harm your hearing with enough exposure, and that includes .22lr. The key with suppressors on supersonic rifles is to get the noise to the shooter <140db which is the threshold for instant hearing damage no matter the level of exposure. Getting it into the 130db range still means that you will harm your hearing with limited exposure, so you should still wear earpro. The difference is that you can take a few shots and not 100% fuck up your hearing permanently like you will with a 160-170db unsuppressed shot. The difference is massive, and that is why you suppress.

The crack happens far enough down range where it doesn't really enter into it unless you are in very confined spaces. On an AR to reduce the sound to the shooter to <140db requires more attention than on bolt guns due to the cycling of the action. So at a minimum you'd want an adjustable gas block like a Superlative Arms. That and the Nomad will get you to <140db in almost all cases.

In other words, go ahead and buy the Nomad and a Superlative Arms AGB and you will be gtg. But always wear earpro when possible.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
The nomad is seriously one of the best cans I have ever heard on a 10.5" sbr. I helped destroy one in a full auto test and was really impressed with it. With that said it's not the peak sound that kills your hearing, it's the duration. Shooting any can in a wide outdoors environment probably not a big deal. But if your range is enclosed and sound waves are constantly reflected back to the shooter like being indoors, then wear some earpro

Any side by side pics of the nomad by a thunderbeast or something ? I’m looking for a direct thread 7” or so suppressor and the ultra 7 fits the bill perfectly except for availability. The nomad looks a bit chunkier

The chunky look gives it the ability to have more volume. I'm actually waiting on the Nomax to come out as I want as much suppression possible.

The chunky look gives it the ability to have more volume. I'm actually waiting on the Nomax to come out as I want as much suppression possible.

I shot the nomax last week on my 300 Norma and all I can say is wow!

Attachments

• IMG_8798.jpg
    IMG_8798.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 20190615_161719.jpg
    20190615_161719.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 206
I'm torn between the Nomad and the Vox. Already having a Sandman K it also makes sense to go Keymo on either one. You can also take a look at the SilencerCo Omega as it seems to be the can this new Nomad is primarily going head to head with. No matter which way you slice it all of these cans would be a worthy addition to your stamp collection.

Reactions: Squeeeeze
I'm torn between the Nomad and the Vox. Already having a Sandman K it also makes sense to go Keymo on either one. You can also take a look at the SilencerCo Omega as it seems to be the can this new Nomad is primarily going head to head with. No matter which way you slice it all of these cans would be a worthy addition to your stamp collection.

Meh I have personally witnessed several omegas/hybrids spontaneously decide to self eject their glued on outer sleeves. The nomad is an exponentially better can imo.

Vox seems to meter amazing as well.

My hybrid in all its Glory.

Attachments

• 20190130_170230.jpg
    20190130_170230.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 354
Reactions: Currycure
Ok, nomax....need to look into that. Can you give some details? Difference between nomax, nomad.

Thanks

The nomax( pretty sure it will be called something else upon producton), is basically a nomad with 3 more baffles with a tweak to their geometry. Sounds great and is not really noticably heavier than the nomad on an sbr

Reactions: bunsen27
The nomax( pretty sure it will be called something else upon producton), is basically a nomad with 3 more baffles with a tweak to their geometry. Sounds great and is not really noticably heavier than the nomad on an sbr

Do you know when its coming out? I'm about to start my paperwork and was going to get a Mask and the Nomad, but if the nomax is "better", I may do paperwork for the Mask now and wait for the nomax to come out. Thanks

If you do, do you find it to be comfortable on the ears with 223 (16" barrel)? I see alot of people shooting suppressed without ear protection, but from what I'm reading most suppressors don't reduce the sound to safe region when shooting super sonic rounds. So, if you have to wear ear protection, whats the point of having a suppressor? I know with 22 RF the noise reduction is significant enough to be safe, which is why I'm getting a dead air mask. Hate wearing ear protection when there isn't anyone else shooting.

No can is safe without ear protation, don't make a mistake in believing so. All of the studies that have been used to derive the 140dB == permanent hearing loss are based on averages of unique physiology in specific situations. If you want to be safe, you need to look at statistics we unfortunately do not have many of such as 95th percentile data, so play it safe and keep it below 120dB with impulse noise, and in limited amounts. In summary, suppress, and wear at least 30dB plugs, ideally with muffs, and you should be relatively safe from more hearing damage than an average person accrues throughout the years.

Almost the exact options and I couldn't decide either. Waiting on both now.

with miniaturization and technology of ear protection over the past decade
there is no excuse not to wear it

As others have said, with decent centerfire suppressors, you are reducing your exposure sans plugs from levels that immediately and permanently damage your hearing (~165dB at ear), to levels that, for a low number of total shots and low cumulative impulse duration, probably does not do significant damage (130 dB - 135 dB bolt gun at ear). The 140 dB limit for impulse noises and assessments of damage for cumulative impulse noises under that level are kind of soft in terms of there being a rigorous scientific basis, there are some newer assessment methods based on mathematical models of the ear that suggest 140 dB may be a bit conservative for some types of impulse sounds. DTIC has a lot of interesting papers on the subject although I've only had time to wade through a few so far.

I particularly like suppressors for hunting, they are already mounted and ready no matter how quick or surprising an animal's appearance is, sometimes you can get plugs in in time, sometimes not, depending on how you hunt. It's amazing how clear and loud the TWACK of a bullet crashing through an elk's chest is at 300 yds when there's no ringing or discomfort in your ears.

For range shooting I still use hearing protection with my cans, other than occasionally .22 LR. I always double up on earpro when shooting unsuppressed, when shooting suppressed, I can get equivalent or better NRR just from the can and plugs, which for me, is far more comfortable.

I do have a Nomad 30 in jail, but haven't had the opportunity to actually shoot it yet. I can say I found it to be shorter and lighter in the hand than I was expecting just from looking at pictures and specs. The Nomax is interesting from a pure performance standpoint and I may pick one up when they come out, I don't think the increased performance would really be worth the extra 2-3 inches and 2.5 oz over the Nomad (or Vox S) for my uses though, if I was only picking one.

Last edited:
Thanks you all for your comments. My takeaway is wear the muffs. Those that shoot suppressed 22RF, just curious how many wear the plugs? My first can is going to be the DA Mask. I have seen videos of people firing a round followed by firing on an empty chamber. I can barely tell the difference in the videos. Do you find this is accurate?

Been reading alot about suppressors, ear protections etc. Come to find out that my electronic ear muffs (peltor) have a 20 NRR rating. When shooting something that produces 160 db, reducing it down to 140db doesn't seem enough. When not shooting suppressed, do you guys double up, plugs and muffs?

Last edited:
Been reading alot about suppressors, ear protections etc. Come to find out that my electronic ear muffs (peltor) have a 20 NRR rating. When shooting something that produces 160 db, reducing it down to 140db doesn't seem enough. Do when not shooting suppressed, do you guys double up, plugs and muffs?
If I were shooting (or around) a braked rifle I would double up.
For a bare muzzle I find one or the other is comfortable.

Do you know when its coming out? I'm about to start my paperwork and was going to get a Mask and the Nomad, but if the nomax is "better", I may do paperwork for the Mask now and wait for the nomax to come out. Thanks
That's a question for Todd. I might have to invest in just 1 more 30 cal can and the Nomax may be it

I have a Vox S and a Nomad (and an omega). I like the performance of both. Vox is cheaper of course. Sound seems to be a toss-up for me, really just depends on the gun and the day. I do like the smaller diameter of the Vox. I shoot them on bolt guns exclusively, so can’t comment on semi’s.

I have a Vox S and a Nomad (and an omega). I like the performance of both. Vox is cheaper of course. Sound seems to be a toss-up for me, really just depends on the gun and the day. I do like the smaller diameter of the Vox. I shoot them on bolt guns exclusively, so can’t comment on semi’s.

That's good to hear. I'm probably going with plan b or diversified machine mounts with cherry bombs for both. I bought the nomad with plans to use on the fix and the vox my Grendel sbr and or mdr.

I called DA a couple days ago. It sounds like the Nomad-XL will be coming out in January.

Watching the thread on ARF and it looks like we are very close to launch of the Nomad-L. Thankfully DA makes sure the dealers have stock in hand before announcing/releasing product so orders can be placed Day 1.

The idea behind the nomad-L excites me. I hope more manufacturers produce large volume cans to really get the decibels down. The trend to go smaller and smaller seems counterproductive to me.
FWIW I wear plugs, muffs, and use my cans all of the time. There is just no reason not to play it safe with your hearing.

I picked up my Nomad 3 weeks ago and still have yet to shoot it but i am very excited to see how it does compared to the Sandman L

I picked up my Nomad 3 weeks ago and still have yet to shoot it but i am very excited to see how it does compared to the Sandman L
When did your check clear? Mine should be coming in sometime in the next month, I’m so excited

When did your check clear? Mine should be coming in sometime in the next month, I’m so excited

I hope I'll get mine in the next month or so as well. My F4 went pending 05/23, and I just saw the first approved May submission on Reddit the other day.

I need to go ahead and order my E-brake, I've heard it really drops the back pressure when running the Nomad on ARs.

I hope I'll get mine in the next month or so as well. My F4 went pending 05/23, and I just saw the first approved May submission on Reddit the other day.

I need to go ahead and order my E-brake, I've heard it really drops the back pressure when running the Nomad on ARs.

Mine went pending 05/16 and I anticipate somewhere around mid to late Feb based. My last stamp took almost 11 months to the day with the Govt shutdown last Jan/Feb.

I already have the E-brake waiting on the Nomad along with a Plan B.

I am also running an E-brake on my SandmanTi and like it. I have not tested it on an AR platform yet, but I do feel the E-brake has a slight effect on the recoil impulse of the bolt gun.

I put the E brake on my sandman K and definitely noticed a difference.

Reactions: Gtscotty
It's looks to be 3 baffles longer ( 9 vs 6 ) and 1.89" longer than the Nomad. I went back and reviewed the data set from the metering day Discreet Ballistics did last year, and I had forgotten how quiet the Nomad-L (Nomax in data set) metered with subs and supers (avg 120.24dB & 131.8dB). I believe the next closest with subs was the Q Full Nelson at 123.83dB. That isn't surprising since both are 1.75in diameter and 8.x in suppressors.

I eagerly awaiting the Silencer Shop range day / test video.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers