• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have a recipe to smoke venison?

Re: Anyone have a recipe to smoke venison?

I always look on youtube for recipes

Shibby,

I ran a google search on one of my favorite smoking sites. This should provide you with some good starting material.

Link

Josh

I have had some luck in smoking venison. Since it is so lean, use butter infused with garlic and inject the venison roast. I use a dry rub made from salt, pepper, galic and onion powder, some thyme and ancho chili powder. Dry rub the night before and inject before it goes in the smoker. Cover it with a bacon wrap and smoke at 200 to 225 degrees till internal temp is 150 degrees. I use apple wood and oak in the smoker. Every hour baste with butter/garlic mixture.

I always had a problem rolling it in those little square papers...and it never stayed lit...so bring a lot of matches.

Rub the night before and then smoke whole quarter for one hour. Wrap in foil and pour in a beer with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Leave sealed in foil for a few hours until you can stick a meat thermometer through the foil and into the meat with little to no resistance. Then poke holes in the bottom of the the foil to drain excess fluid. Remove from smoker and don't touch it for an hour. Then unwrap and eat.