• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have any experience loading 308 pistol?

BuildItYourSelf

Merica!
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2018
Phoenix
I built a pistol in 308. It's and 11" 1/8 twist.
I have the sub loads down pat and I'm grouping under 1" at 100 yards with them and needless to say I'm extremely impressed with the results.

However I'm seeking experience with the supersonic loads.
I intend to load heavy bullets for hunting whitetail. I have 165gr sgk. 180amax and some 220rnsp.
Here is my issues. I would like to get something loaded up that will make decent speed in the 11" barrel without an excess amount of muzzle blast. I have a suppressor on it because it's very loud. If I can make the speed and not be hard on the suppressor that would be the best situation all around.
My normal 308 load uses imr4895 around 42grs and a 175smk or 178eld.
I have every powder that's popular for 308, 223, 300blk, and so on.
I was thinking about starting around the data listed for a 30-30 and comparing to some 308 data.
I'm not necessarily looking for max velocity here either. It's a pistol with a brace so I don't need a 2800fps 180gr to shoot a deer
(I know that would be impossible in 11" just saying) I'm thinking I will be golden if I got a 165sgk at 2200fps without the huge fireball or a 180gramax around 2200fps as well.

Just looking for input and tips from people that have loaded short barrel 308 before.
I have heard everything from
pistol powder (umm no thanks)
heavy crimps on low charges to get a fast burn started.
Development withpowder like blc2 or short cuts and magnum primers for more consistency in reduced loads.
Taking up case volume with long monolithic bullets to bump pressure on low charges. (witch will probably be OK since I have 1/8 twist on this thing)

Let me know what worked well for you.

Thanks.