• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have any experience with a rem 700 long range?

Jkesrnicla

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2019
Well I think I narrowed my new hunting rifle choice down to a Remington 700 long range stainless in 7mm rem mag does anyone have any experience with them, I've been told the triggers are junk so I’d probably replace it with a triggertech or timney... any issues with accuracy after a proper bedding job?

Like all modern Remington’s it could be a jewel or it could be junk. Just roll the dice. Either way be careful to not get too deep into it. Resale is neat nil.

Reactions: Jkesrnicla
I purchased a rem 700 long range 7mm rem mag a few years ago. Honestly, it was the most inaccurate rifle I’ve ever owned. I tried at least 6 factory ammo offerings and also attempted to reload for it. 2” groups were the best it would do. I had Phoenix Custom Rifles put a Krieger barrel on it. Turned into a hammer. You might get a good one. You might get a bad one. It’s a toss up. Pretty much the story with anything Remington these days. There are several factory rifles I would buy before I gambled in another one.

I purchased a rem 700 long range 7mm rem mag a few years ago. Honestly, it was the most inaccurate rifle I’ve ever owned. I tried at least 6 factory ammo offerings and also attempted to reload for it. 2” groups were the best it would do. I had Phoenix Custom Rifles put a Krieger barrel on it. Turned into a hammer. You might get a good one. You might get a bad one. It’s a toss up. Pretty much the story with anything Remington these days. There are several factory rifles I would buy before I gambled in another one.

Well my second option was to buy a stainless 700 action and have hart barrels put a barrel on it and build a rifle off that combo

Reactions: stello1001
I say buy the long range for $600 and I f it doesn’t shoot rebarrel it. The action and stock alone should be worth $600.

Well my second option was to buy a stainless 700 action and have hart barrels put a barrel on it and build a rifle off that combo
We sent two of our 700s to hart from our swat team and they turned out amazing. I Highly recommend, they are tack drivers and shoot lights out.

I replaced the trigger and remaged the barrel.

Did yours not shoot, or did you shoot it out. I keep reading 50/50 prospect, but out of a couple dozen I have only seen two that didn't shoot well, and both were resolved by bedding the rear tang.

I have couple with triggers and Remage barrels still, and one built 700 BA by LRI. One factory 700 223 with a never say die barrel, that is still plenty accurate.

I have one. Turned into a project just because. But it was accurate from the factory. Shot plenty of half minute groups with 215 Berger’s. It had a primary extraction issues with I had fixed but other than that it’s been good rifle. I wouldn’t call the trigger junk. It was heavy but super crisp. I since replaced it with a trigger tech

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly

I sold the factory bell and Carlson for like $175. I wish I didn’t because it would have been a good stock for another build lol

To put it in perspective I purchased the 700 LR in 300 win mag then bought a 700 5R 308 win a few months later. Some factory rem 700s have issues but I have yet to see one that couldn’t shoot like people say. Who knows tho.

I sold the factory bell and Carlson for like $175. I wish I didn’t because it would have been a good stock for another build lol

To put it in perspective I purchased the 700 LR in 300 win mag then bought a 700 5R 308 win a few months later. Some factory rem 700s have issues but I have yet to see one that couldn’t shoot like people say. Who knows tho.
What kind of groups did you get with your long range, 5r shoot any better?

What kind of groups did you get with your long range, 5r shoot any better?

I’ve shot tighter groups with the long range but the 5R is more forgiving across different bullets, hand loads and factory ammo. The 5R shoots just about everything I’ve tried accurately. As for the long range groups, with 215 Berger’s and H1000 around 2800 FPS it has shot in the low .2s twice. It shoots 5 shot groups between .4-.6 constantly with Berger’s. When I first bought it I was hunting with 180sst Hornady superformace factory loads. It was consistently shooting moa or below at 100.

The only problem I had with it was the primary extraction which I had LRI fix it. I was told Remington tighten up on that issue since then. I would recommend 300 win mag with all of the 30 cal bullet options.

Let me add that the 5R is loaded hot with 185 Berger juggernauts for shooting 1k. I found a node at 43.5 gr and ran with it. There was 3 nodes from low to high when testing. I chose the high end node. Knowing I was sacrificing some accuracy. But it shoots well at 1k and feeds from my mag

Did yours not shoot, or did you shoot it out. I keep reading 50/50 prospect, but out of a couple dozen I have only seen two that didn't shoot well, and both were resolved by bedding the rear tang.

I have couple with triggers and Remage barrels still, and one built 700 BA by LRI. One factory 700 223 with a never say die barrel, that is still plenty accurate.

Shot out the OEM 25-06 barrel. Didn't last long with this wicked overbore.

I have one in 7mm and I'm happy with it. It appealed to me because of the heavy barrel and being that it had a "good stock" on it from the factory meant that i didn't have to replace it out of necessity. After playing with different loads I found a good one that shot well and I am proud/satisfied, but it depends on what you expectations are. Mine were simple, I wanted a reliable budget off the shelf rifle that I could shoot under an inch with as cheaply as possible and I got it. Before i started reloading it even shot cheap blue box Federal 150 gr ammo well. Result may vary as stated before, but i haven't had any issues with any of my newer Remingtons not shooting well or malfunctioning. This rifle offers a lot in my opinion for $700 when you consider that the stock is $275 alone. Some of the hated "does't indicate your rifle's abilities 3 - shot groups are below lol." Now go swipe your card and head to the range.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: Bcertoperator96
I have one in 300wm. dropped it in an AICS 2.0 and it shoots great, ~1/2moa with 225gr ELD-M/H1000 handloads.

I purged the scope to put on my 6.5cm, but I’m looking to pick up a 7-35 ATACR at some point. When it comes time to rebarrel I’m thinking 300PRC, seems like similar barrel life to 300wm, but 150fps faster.