• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have any experience with the Tikka T3X "Long Action" models?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
No shortage of T3x Ctr talk about the 6.5,and 308 variants.

Anyone have anything to say about their newer, Varmint models in bigger calibers, such as 300wm/PRC and such?

Specifically, the Varmint, and Super Varmint? They as on point as the smaller variants?

Super Varmint

Tikka actions are all the same length. The short action calibers use a bolt stop that shortens the distance the bolt travels towards the rear of the rifle as well as a magazine with a built in spacer in the back of the magazine that keeps the rounds pushed forward. The long action guns just have a bolt stop that allows the bolt to travel further backwards as well as no spacer in the magazine.

The long actions are great for short action magnums, I don't think they are ideal for true long action calibers with long heavy bullets.

Reactions: 338dude
I have a Tikka in 300wm that I had a smith put carb fiber proof on. I run the factory magazine so the bullet is set at what factory ammunition would be. It is my deer hunting rifle. I use a 200gr eldx and told the smith the bullet I planned on using. I will say it is super accurate and i am extremely happy with it.

Ahh, didn't know that about the actions.
Given that, the choice between a Tikka, or Bergara B14 action in say, 300prc kr WM?

Unless there is a special makeup/model I do not know about Tikka does not chamber a rifle in 300prc

Reactions: SquirtgunsRule
So much I have to learn...

Well, Win Mag then

There are aftermath bottom metals that will fit into a modified stock, believe red snake tactical makes one of them. Takes la 3.715 aics mags that hold 3.615 internal. I believe this would allow a guy to run 300prc 300wm seates out a ways.

^Yes, a Tikka is perfect as a medium action seated long. I run a Vision chassis on mine with MDT 3.56" mags. Only running 3.1" COAL on current cartridge/barrel, and it feeds nicely.

No shortage of T3x Ctr talk about the 6.5,and 308 variants.

Anyone have anything to say about their newer, Varmint models in bigger calibers, such as 300wm/PRC and such?

Specifically, the Varmint, and Super Varmint? They as on point as the smaller variants?

Super Varmint

I've got a 30-06 and a 7 rem that both shot sub moa with factory hunting ammo. The 7mm is now a 7 saum set up for 180's seated where they should be. :). I love my tikka actions but I'd get something else for a 300 PRC or 300WM that you want to load long bullets.

All Tikkas shoot well, the base T3x lite is typically a very accurate rifle regardless of caliber/cartridge.

Each model after that just adds something or changes something (heavy barrel, CTR mag, cheek riser etc).

The base barreled action can be assumed to be good.

There are aftermath bottom metals that will fit into a modified stock, believe red snake tactical makes one of them. Takes la 3.715 aics mags that hold 3.615 internal. I believe this would allow a guy to run 300prc 300wm seates out a ways.
still short for a 300PRC if you even can run 3.615 coal in a tikka

still short for a 300PRC if you even can run 3.615 coal in a tikka
The 230k freebore in the saami chamber is very long. I do agree it's not ideal. Neither is the small tenon on tikkas with large magnums. They can work, but it's not great. Guys do it though. Already have a tikka with a proof prefit and new bottom metal and mag you're at a grand, otherwise you're 1k minimum into an action plus the barrel and a trigger/stock. Save cheddar for ideal setup, or use what you have and work with it.