• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have any Sig 970 STR Performance Feedback?

Shaneous69

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2007
Columbia, South Carolina
Hello,
I just purchased a Sig 970 STR in 300 Win Mag. The rifle surprisingly has never been fire, so I couldn't ask the previous owner how it does. So, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular rifle. From what I can tell so far, it seems like it will be a pretty good rifle. It has a 25" fluted "heavy" barrel (.860 at the muzzle) with an integrated muzzle brake system. It came from the factory in a McMillan A3 stock and I have alrady contacted McMillan about adding the saddle cheek piece and spacer adjustable length of pull system. It also has the detachable magazine assembly, but it only holds 3 rounds and limited to a max coal of 3.350 (.208 AMAX appears to need about 3.615). USO is cuurently out of bases for this rifle, so I am not sure when I can mount the optics (USO 3.2-17 TPAL Canadian) and take it to the range. I have been looking on the web and like other people have found out, there isn't a lot of info available. So any feedback or advice on the STR would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Shane

040.jpg

Re: Anyone have any Sig 970 STR Perfromance Feedback?

I had one in .308. It shot horribly, I took it apart and saw that it didn't fit properly in the stock, so I had to add some shims. I did this and then it started shooting very well. It really needed a bedding job but I sold it. I didn't like the feel of the stock much.

There is a large gunshop up in Canada that ordered a 6.5x55 barrel for me, but it took so long to come in, the rifle was gone.

I didn't find the built in brake very effective. It seemed to make the gun recoil funny.

Hope that helps some,
Justin

I don't know about the STR but the SHR was a very good shooting rifle and the smoothest operating bolt I have ever used. Shot around .5-.8 moa regularly.

I know EGW makes a 1 piece mount for it as well, but I'm sure it would be better to wait for the US Optics one.

I had my buddy that works in an airframe shop make me some custom mags for mine. All he did really was take 2 of the original mags and combine them with a heavier spring. Made room for 6 rounds and functioned flawlessly.

Great guns and very good prices. Wish I could get ahold of one of the STR's. I'm sure they are much better than the SHR was.

Good luck with it. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed!!

I appreciate the responses, it is good information. The rifle does have a different type of bedding system, I am used to standare Remington 700 set-up. It has a front and rear bedding block to help loctate the action in the stock. What I thought was kind of odd, was that there was an empty void in front of the first bedding block right before the barrel channel starts. I have already bedded this area and the bedding then continues into the the first 1.2 inches of the barrel channel. This is when the barrel starts. Now the receiver has no fore/aft movement as it did from the factory.
I have been wondering about how effective the brake was. It has for vertical slits in the last inch of barrel. It looks similiar to what Remington is doing on the funky VTR barrel. I hate to hear it isn't that good, I guess adding weight will be my friend for recoil reduction. Thanks againg for all the help.

Shane

I have an STR 970 in 300WM and it shoots very well.

CW03,
DO you use factory ammo or reload? If you do reload, seen any combo's that your STR likes? Thanks

Shane

Re: Anyone have any Sig 970 STR Performance Feedback?

I have purchased and fired both a STR 970 in .308 caliber and SHR 970 in .308 caliber and i am in love with them. They are the smoothest most accurate weapon I have ever fired. I love the muzzle brake so much that i would consider purchasing a STR 970 in .300 caliber much like yours. If you ever come across another one please let me know.