• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have experience with 6x47 Lapua Improved?

jrg137

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2017
I shoot 260REM now out of a tactical rifle but I am building an F-Class rifle and a PRS style rifle. I was thinking about chambering one or both in 6x47 Lapua Improved. Has anyone had any experience with 6x47 Lapua Improved? And if so, what do you think it is best suited for; F-Open, PRS, or both?

One question why?
Custom dies, reamer, fire forming. What do you gain 2 grain capacity and a 40* shoulder. Doesn't seem worth it.

I think Dasher, bra, brx, straight 6br or 6 Creed would be better choices to pick from in the 6's.

Reactions: 47guy and RTH1800
One question why?
Custom dies, reamer, fire forming. What do you gain 2 grain capacity and a 40* shoulder. Doesn't seem worth it.

I think Dasher, bra, brx, straight 6br or 6 Creed would be better choices to pick from in the 6's.

I shoot a 6x47L as issued :). I agree with Wild Bill that an AI version of it just doesn't make a lot of sense for the effort. For me at the time there was no 6x47 cases so I had to resize, turn necks, fireform to get my cases. Now Peterson is available with as good a brass as Lapua ready to go.

I considered the 6 BR, I already have one, but my shooting buddy tried his at 1000 F-Class with 105's and got blown about really bad. My 260 with 140 Hybrid was having no issue at the same match. A 115 DTAC will shoot inside a 140 Hybrid. The 6BR is really easy on barrels and at 600 it is fine. The 6 Creed is a lot of powder for a small bore. That thing has to be a barrel burner. The reason I chose the 6x47 was it uses a little bit more powder (33%) than a 6BR and gets more performance. I am at 1970 rounds, my throat has moved about .060 so it looks to get about 3000 rounds. The work for the other 6BR knock offs don't get you as much extra umph as the 6x47 plus I was able to get what i wanted at 39.2 gr of H4350. Not a hot load but not a barrel burner either.

HTH

David

There's no such thing as a 6x47L improved, because the 6x47L is already...

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Reactions: Dstoenner