• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone have experience with DTA's cans?

TexasClassIII

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just wondering if anyone here has or has shot one of Desert Tactical Arms' cans.

If you have, was it the steel or titanium? QD or threaded?

And of course, what'd you think?

Parker

Re: Anyone have experience with DTA's cans?

While I can't say whether or not their cans are any good, they seem to be a company that would not release junk.

I did have a little discussion with whoever runs there Facebook page about their cans. He had posted some pictures of some groups shot with and without the can. POI shift was minimul and was directly below the groups shot without the can. He said the groups will always be about 1/2 moa low so its easy to correct for.

I asked if they had timed the suppressor to always have a 6 o'clock impact shift.

His response was that all suppressors impact shift at 6 o'clock low because the weight of the can pulls the barrel down.

I made one attempt at explaining to him that's not how it works and realized I was wasting my time.

If that's how they think POI shift works, I would not waste my money on one of their cans, especially when there are proven performers available on the market.

I imagine that's an answer given by a 19 year old kid running their FB page. I seriously hope (expect) that their engineers are quite a bit brighter than that.

Parker

I have used their .308 cans, both carbon and Ti. My impression; love at first sight. The mounting and ease with which they are installed and removed made them very user friendly. I was stunned at how light the Ti version was, made me wonder about when my next purchase would be, and if I could swing the Ti.
Performancewise, they were as quiet as anything else I've ever witnessed. Though I find that to be very subjective due to varying ears and tastes. I would definitely consider one in my next classIII purchase, probably end up getting the .338 version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that's how they think POI shift works, I would not waste my money on one of their cans, especially when there are proven performers available on the market. </div></div>

Since someone on Facebook is the know all, end all

Of course I believe that the people actually designing their products know better than that.

I actually really like DTAs rifles....a Covert would really lift my skirt if it wasn't so overpriced.

I just thought it odd that they would let someone with such little knowledge on a subject run their Facebook page and talk technical stuff. When I tried to explain how poi shift worked and how a suppressor affected it, he got all shitty with me and said I was wrong and he was right.

That's when I gave up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoomerTG1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that's how they think POI shift works, I would not waste my money on one of their cans, especially when there are proven performers available on the market. </div></div>

Since someone on Facebook is the know all, end all </div></div>
How is that any different, really, from this website? It's a person giving you advice over the internet and they may or may not have a clue what they're talking about. Personally I think there's a lot of misinformation on this site in this particular subforum. You have to be able to filter signal from noise anywhere you go online.

Yes, I shot one during SHOT show. It was a 338 can on a 243 DTA. Sound suppression was not great compared to the Delta P Brevis 308 being demoed on my DTA 308, however POI shift, and accuracy, was the same on both. Which is to say damn good.

The can its self was lighter and smaller than my SAS TI 338 can.

Keep in mind that it was a 338 can on a 243. I have no idea how it would sound shooting a 338.