• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have experience with March's new FML-TR1H hunting reticle?

Franko

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2018
Southern California
Due to a miscalculation I am now on the hunt for a lightweight hunting scope and discovered that March has a new reticle for their 3-24x42 scope. I am interested in hearing about how it performs in the lower to middle end of it's magnification range. This scope is going to go on a 7mm Rem Magnum and be used as a do it all gun for western states hunting. The other scope I am considering is the Tangent Theta 3-15 long range hunter.

Thank you.

1634134799948.png

1634134850478.png

Reactions: chase723
I've noticed there is very little love for Marches on here. Has to be NF or S&B. I love them. Sorry can't comment on that reticle....just saw your lonely post. Cheers. I absolutely love the 3-24x42.

Reactions: Denys and Franko
I've noticed there is very little love for Marches on here. Has to be NF or S&B. I love them. Sorry can't comment on that reticle....just saw your lonely post. Cheers. I absolutely love the 3-24x42.

March is starting to get a fair bit more traction here.
They have some quite compelling designs that stand out from other brands.
They are just a fair bit expensive and are rare, so not as many talk about them.

The TT 3-15 is a top notch hunting scope if you don't need a higher magnification range.

Here is a great resource:

March is starting to get a fair bit more traction here.
They have some quite compelling designs that stand out from other brands.
They are just a fair bit expensive and are rare, so not as many talk about them.

The TT 3-15 is a top notch hunting scope if you don't need a higher magnification range.

Here is a great resource:

Awesome resource there thanks. Yes they are hand built in a smallish facility I’m told in Japan. I have sold a few S&Bs over the years for my Marches. Suit the type Of shooting I do and glass to my eye is way up there. Cheers

I designed FML-TR1 and FML-3. The hunter reticle is March's modification of TR1.

ILya
What are your feelings on how well the optic/reticle will perform in the low to middle range for magnification? I am considering either a 3-24x42 or 3-24x52 version versus a TT 3-15 hunter and find the ability to use higher magnification along with lower weight attractive, but I am thinking that the TT might be a better choice as the vast majority of the shooting I expect do will be done in the 8-12 magnification range.

What are your feelings on how well the optic/reticle will perform in the low to middle range for magnification? I am considering either a 3-24x42 or 3-24x52 version versus a TT 3-15 hunter and find the ability to use higher magnification along with lower weight attractive, but I am thinking that the TT might be a better choice as the vast majority of the shooting I expect do will be done in the 8-12 magnification range.

I have not seen the new reticle, so I really do not know. I designed the TR1 to be usable in the 4.5-28x and 5-42x scopes and they did make the center a little thicker while also adding a segmented circle. It should work, I think.

ILya

Reactions: Franko
Any possibility to send current 3-24x42s in for new reticle? I know they will have to go to Japan.

Will this reticle be available in the 52mm objective 3-24? Disregard, I see from their website it is. This looks promising. Hopefully it’s not too thick or cluttered in person.

Last edited:
I have had this scope for a while now and am quite happy with the reticle so far but with my interstate move I've had quite a hiccup in being able to give the scope a deeper dive. Having been a huge fan of the G2H reticle found in the Bushnell LRHS series scopes and appreciating the "circle of death" quadrant for hunting type situations, but I also found that I liked this reticle on AR platforms. The FML-TR1H reticle combines ILya's excellent design with a very compelling circle of death quadrant that makes it usable at lower mags.

Reactions: Chasing3
The other scope I am considering is the Tangent Theta 3-15 long range hunter.
Franko, I can tell you this, the optical differences with regard to IQ are pretty significant between the TT315 and the March 3-24 - the TT is going to have considerably better IQ, that being said, I appreciate what March has done with the 3-24, which offers you 24x on the top end compared to 15x with the TT. Above 20x the March begins to struggle a bit both in light gathering as well as IQ, it is usable for sure but I've heard ILya mentioned the 3-24x52 makes for an excellent 3-20 range optic and I would agree. The biggest benefit comes in the 24oz weight of the scope, I would also prefer brighter illumination in the 3-24. If you're an optical purest then the TT is the way to go, but if you'd like flexibility with very good IQ and a stellar reticle for low mag (and high mag) use then I think the March is worth considering.

Reactions: Franko
I have had this scope for a while now and am quite happy with the reticle so far but with my interstate move I've had quite a hiccup in being able to give the scope a deeper dive. Having been a huge fan of the G2H reticle found in the Bushnell LRHS series scopes and appreciating the "circle of death" quadrant for hunting type situations, but I also found that I liked this reticle on AR platforms. The FML-TR1H reticle combines ILya's excellent design with a very compelling circle of death quadrant that makes it usable at lower mags.
Good to see you back Bill!

Reactions: Glassaholic
A friend sent me his NF NX8 2.5-20, I've been wanting to get my hands on another copy of this scope to see if some of the anomalies I found with my original copy were part of a sample variance/QC issue or if they seem to be consistent with other scopes. I will be doing a direct comparison to the 3-24x52 with FML-TR1h reticle and also commenting on the reticle overall. Stay tuned.

A friend sent me his NF NX8 2.5-20, I've been wanting to get my hands on another copy of this scope to see if some of the anomalies I found with my original copy were part of a sample variance/QC issue or if they seem to be consistent with other scopes. I will be doing a direct comparison to the 3-24x52 with FML-TR1h reticle and also commenting on the reticle overall. Stay tuned.
I have this scope coming with the new TR1h retcile as well. I needed a light weight hunting scope for an impending rifle build that can shoot some distance. When the march 15% off sale was announced it worked out cheaper by a couple of $100 to buy this over an NX8 and more $$ over 4-20 ATACR...and I have a few ounces left in the bank as well.

I was originally going for FMl 1 but the when I looked at the TR1h retcile I think it is may be more useful

I'd be interested to hear your comparisons with the NX8. This will be my first look at March scopes in the flesh, I also ordered a Genesis 6-60 as well. :oops:

Reactions: Denys
@pc3, I'm looking forward to read your impressions of that Genesis. What are you planning to put it on?

If March had a locking elevation turret and capped windage, I would buy that 3-24x42 in a heartbeat. Especially it being both FFP and 30mm with that FML-TR1H reticle. I don't know why they wouldn't lock/cap the turrets. Ugh.

As it stands in my search for lightweight (sub 24oz) FFP hunting scope, the Vortex 4.5-22 Razor HD LHT is about the only thing on the market right now with locking/capped turrets so I ordered one of those to try. The downside is the low end is not as low as I would like it to be (prefer 2-3x) and the reticle has no feature to really be useful at low power.

Unfortunately, everything is a trade off in the lightweight precision hunting optic space right now.

@Denys I will be putting it on my .375/408 Imp. at this stage currently it has a pm 5-25x56 with P4 reticle it’s probably a tad to thick.

@Burdy i agree with what your saying Injave the vortex LHT your talking about on my Cz .17 Hornet….haven’t given it a work out really yet but glass looks damn good. It would actually work well on a .308 gladius style build I have there with no scope currently. The March had a lower Mag at the bottom than the LHT and a weight saving over the nx8 I was considering.