• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have experience with Steiner T-332 or T-432 scopes?

houndog

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2005
Looking for an optic for a DD M4 upper. Already have an AR pistol with a red dot and 16" rifle with a LPVO. Thinking of putting a 3x or 4x prism optic on this upper. Basically want something that's relatively light, rugged, great glass and sufficiently versatile that I can use for distances from 25/50 yards out to 3-400.

On the high end an ACOG is an obvious choice, but not crazy about the very tight eye box. On the lower end it looks like there are some nice Primary Arms optics that might fit the bill. But I'm curious about the Steiner T series, particularly since it looks like a couple of places are blowing them out.

The problem is that I can't find much info. on the scope. My guess is that at their original retail price they weren't much cheaper than an ACOG, which are known to be rock solid optics, and were a lot more expensive than decent alternatives like the Primary Arms models, so they kind of fell into this no man's land.

However, I know that Steiner generally makes pretty solid optics, it looks like they're using Schott glass on these, they appear to be pretty rugged, and the adjustable diopter is a nice feature for someone like me with less than perfect vision.

Also, any thoughts whether I should go 3x or 4x?

Reactions: Bridgebuilder34
I have the 3 & 5x versions. I've only shot with the 5x, but afterwards I bought the 3x and sold off a TA33. The glass is pretty nice, the reticle is suitably bright and the adjustable diopter is a big plus over the ACOGs.

They seem heavy relative to the ACOG's, but are actually fairly similar in weight to the battery powered ones. My 3x weighs 15.9 oz without, and 16.8 oz with the lens covers. The lack of alternate or a QD mount is a bummer, but spacers are included to raise the mount above co-witness height.

The 4x seems like an oddball, it's closer in size/weight to the 5x. So I'd either go with the 3 or 5x.

I think the 5x is too big, I personally thing the 4x is the perfect size. If you can scoop up one of the old S432s or older military series Steiner prism sights, the glass is better than a ACOG. Usually at a killer discount too. I would highly reccomend trying to buy a used S432 or S332 (I think those are the models).

For reference, the T536 is 17.9 is without and 18.8 oz with the lens caps. So, it's bigger but only 2 oz heavier l. I believe this is substantially lighter than either of the older S or M series prisms.

I think the 5x is too big, I personally thing the 4x is the perfect size. If you can scoop up one of the old S432s or older military series Steiner prism sights, the glass is better than a ACOG. Usually at a killer discount too. I would highly reccomend trying to buy a used S432 or S332 (I think those are the models).
Have you compared the T and S series? I haven't seen the S in person, they seemed too heavy to purchase; Steiner lists the S332 as 5.6 oz heavier than the T332.

Yes, trying to figure out the difference between S and T series myself. I think the S is military and the T civilian. I saw one comment that the eye box on the S is significantly better. But based on list price the S is WAY more expensive. And I think both use the same Schott glass. Haven't seen any screaming deals on the S, but I can pick up a 3x or 4x for $399, which is one of the reasons I'm interested. Can't imagine the S would be much less than double that given its list price and I'm just not sure how much extra the S gives you over the T.

And for me it's really either the 3x or the 4x. I just think the 5x would be too much magnification at 50 yards and in. And based on my LPVO I find that 5x and up starts to be too much magnification when I'm shooting unsupported offhand. I start fighting the scope/rifle because even a small amount of movement on my part causes the reticle to really jump around. And if I'm shooting steel plates, 4x easily gets me out to 300 and works great on an IPSIC sized plate at 400, which is about as far out as I'm going to take this rifle. So it's not really any weight penalty that would prevent me from going to 5x.

A quick look at the specs, and it looks like the S has a way better field of view than the T (very similar to the ACOG). Honestly the FOV of the T is kind of disappointing.

Also, the S has been discontinued, and two minutes of research leads me to believe it will be tough to find one. But then the T is much much cheaper.

I have an M332 that shipped with an Eratac qd mount-you might check and see if they make qd’s for the newer series too.

I have a S332 and a T432.
The S is heavier, has better glass, and field of view. And very good eye relief than the ACOG. Reticle is simple and uncluttered. The two requirements I need.
I asked American Defense to make or modify a QD mount for it.
I slapped it on my FN SCAR 17 for a 1,000 steel target. I hit it 8 times out of the first 10 rounds. It had been sighted in at 75 yards on my SCAR 16.
I’d never shot past 200 before.
The M series was just as good as the S and had a QD mount.
I’m not a fan of the T series. It’s for sale here in the exchange.
I think American shooter just never could get behind these scopes. They were heavy and expensive. ACOG is the easy decision. So, Steiner probably said let’s send a cheaper model to the US in the T series.
I never could get happy with the ACOG 4x32. Although I have a 3x24 ACOG that I love.
My two cents.

Reviewing specs on the Steiner website -

FOV @ 100m

M332 - 10.5m
S332 - 14.1m
T332 - 10.5m

Weight

M332 - 460g (16.2oz)
S332 - 21.6oz
T332 - 16oz

Eye Relief

M332 - 3 inches
S332 - 3.15 inches
T332 - 70mm (2.75 inches)

I would buy another M332 if I could find one. Based on specs, I’ll get a T332 sub-$500. I’m tempted by some of the Primary Arms reviews, but China.

What’s the torque specs for the T432? The Manuel says 3.5 NM. That translates to about 30” LBS. Is that what you guys did?