• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have Fed bulk alt for a spikes upper?

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I have a spikes upper on the way and everyone is out of FEDERAL bulk pack. I have a good bit of automatch for my 10/22. Anyone had luck with the automatch or recommend an alternative to the FED bulk pack?

Thanks

Re: Anyone have Fed bulk alt for a spikes upper?

So far the only thing that will shoot well in mine is the Federal bulk and American Eagle which is the same as far as I can tell. The AE is in a red box and some of it now is only 40 rounds a box.

I tried several other types and had to go back to Federal. This may save you some time as these are the ones I could not get to work.

Winchester Dyna points did not feed. bullet and case would deform on feeding. Some time so bad I had to use a knife point to extract the round.

Wolf ME and MT will feed but will not eject correctly. Same for SK match and standard plus. This is the same ammo as Wolf so no supprise there.

Federal UM1 and 911 will not feed. Same problems as the Dyna points just not as bad.

CMP white box Winchester, will not eject. The two CMP Aguila's they sell now will not eject either.

Some old Remington I had I can't remember the type. Either Hornets or yellow jackets. The wax on the bullets of the remington would not let the ammo chamber. I polished the feed ramp and chamber per the spike hints on AR15.com and still could not get the stuff to feed.

Most of the ejection problems is the standard velosity stuff is to low powered. lots of stove piping and cases stuck side ways in the chamber.

Feeding problems are usually bent bullets in the shell neck. This causes a jam and I'd have to remove the magazine, hold the bolt back and pick the stuck shell out with a knife point. Oh, let me say the ammo was bent on feeding not out of the box.

I've not tried anything else as there's no ammo here to be had either. I hear Blazers will work and I'm going to try and score some this weekend at the Gun show in Atlanta. If I do and they work I'll let you know. Also, Stingers may work. I read that some where on AR15.com. There's a hole section on the Spike ST-22 upper and which ammo and tuning tricks. You should go there for sure if you have not yet. The best tips are under Industry/Spikes thread. The rimfire and pistol threads will have a ton of personnel exprience and like that is helpful to.

I know this does not help much but it's all I got, Donald

It seems that everyone has had hit or miss results with various ammo and Spike's uppers. The Federal is the only one that everybody universally agrees works. Dick's sporting goods sells a bulk box of Winchester target HV "dynapoint" 22lr copper plated(38gr I think) that has worked flawlessly in mine, almost all high velocity copper "plated" ammo has worked in mine to date. I recently bought some bulk Federal in case lots on Gunbroker, I paid too much but at least I have some to shoot. Times...they are a suckin.....

Thanks guys.... guess ill just focus on tracking down some Federal bulk pack..

no back order allowed but expected in a few weeks. Ill get a few cases thanks

Haven't used a spikes kit, but I shoot the Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs, they come in 550 rounds per box.

Good luck finding that around me too.

For me the Am. Eagle stuff won't stay inside 1" from a bolt rifle that shoots 1" ish at 100 yards with the RGBB that I mentioned above. I shot the rest of the brick at the 6" gong and other little steel clangers with my 22/45 from 25 yards.

My spike's love the Fed Automatch, it also ate up the CCI Stingers ... Automatch shot the best groups... never tried the standard bulk pack.